Question about repair of hydrostatic transmission on a BX2370

Bill-ko

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 (2). Landpride AFM3414
Apr 11, 2024
Pennsylvania
I recently purchased a 2370 at an auction, and when I got it home I realized it had a leak on the transmission that needed repaired. A few folks told me a dealer shop would want about $2000 plus parts to do the repair, and more if they found serious problems after opening. So I decided to give it a go myself. I have wrenched a little for many years, but never opened a transmission.
I only pulled the front cover off (cooler I believe), and the next piece back. Changed out bearings and seals on the neutral lever (which I believe is where the leak was coming from), and put it back together. I changed out all seals, gaskets, o-rings, and bearings on the two pieces I removed just to be safe.
My question is once I put it back together, I tried to turn the input shaft by hand and was not able too. I put a pair of pliers on it and can turn it pretty easily with the additional leverage. Wondering if it should turn freely by hand? I didn’t think to check this before I tore it apart.
trying to avoid putting it back in frame only to find out out it needs to come back apart.
if anyone has knowledge and could answer I would greatly appreciate it.
thank you in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say they don't spin freely, the input is driving a pump.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It is normal to have to use pliers to turn the input shaft.

Reactions: 1 user