question about my differential

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Hello. I'm slowly getting used to my new "used" B7810. I really like it. right now I'm driving in my woods to cut firewood. I cut it to stove length then put as much as I can fit in the loader. Drive out of the woods. Then either go to the splitter if it needs it. Then drive right in my hoop house and stack my firewood. There is a few slick spots so I put it in four wheel drive. But can't you also used the differential to get positive traction? I tried steping on the pedal, nothing happens. How hard should you step on that pedal? I read my manual. it didn't help me. Forgive my novice questions. I'm sure it's me. Thanks.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Love the title "question about my differential"
I thought it was going to be "do these pants make my butt look to big?"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :Do:D:D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I use the 4wd first and while working where I need more traction. The differential lock is usually in addition to the 4wd to get me out of a mud hole. To lock the differential stop the wheels from spinning, hold the lock pedal down, and slowly start putting power to the wheels. The differential lock is a solid mechanical lock and when the slipping wheel spins enough to line up the lock it will engage and the pedal will go down. You want the slipping wheel to be moving very slow so you don't damage the differential lock when it engages. When you are out of the hole take your foot off and the pedal will pop back up. When you have the differential locked it can be difficult to steer since the rear wheels are locked together.

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Thank you Grouse Feathers. Explained very well. Easy for a goof like me to understand.

Sawmill don't be sorry. Bring it on! I'm a horses backside. Do these pants make my butt look big? No. It's your big *%#@ that makes the pants look big!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can leave it in 4wd and not suffer from any ill effects as long as your not running on a hard surface like asphalt or concrete.