Question about first greasing for loader

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
So, I’ll preface this by saying I’ve looked online and in forums but can’t find an answer.
I understand your not supposed to mix grease, but not knowing exactly what grease is In the loader now put in by dealer, is it safe to use a different brand/kind of grease. The loader manual says a moly grease, so that’s what I was planning to use. I just want to ensure I wont do damage if I use a different brand or if the grease the dealer put in isn’t a moly grease. On a side note, I ended up ordering another grease gun since the tractor uses different grease than the loader. I’ve never used a grease gun, only the tubes that you screw on, for weed wackers and stuff like that, so I’m not sure if you can reseal grease when you need to switch kinds out of the gun. not sure if that’s needed or not, any feedback is appreciated.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This has been discussed ad nauseam and there are as many different opinions, as there are brands and types within the brands. Any grease is better than no grease, and my opinion is that as long as there is grease in the bushings and pins, all is well. Bearings is a different discussion best left for another day.

Reactions: 4 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I use Kubota brand Moly grease for my loader and backhoe. It is black and if you see that on your loader pins, that is probably moly grease. I don't think swapping out grease tubes once loaded in the grease gun is doeable at all. You really need a dedicated gun for each type of grease you are using.

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
For the loader bushings and or pins I use whatever grease I have in my gun at the time. I grease it enough that I don't think it matters what grease it's got on it. As long as I pump it in and see it oozing out I'm good with it!

Reactions: 7 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Mixing different grease thickeners like lithium or clay or polyurea can be problematic if they are incompatible.

Mixing different grease types like moly and extreme pressure or general purpose all with lithium bases is generally not problematic.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Mixing different grease thickeners like lithium or clay or polyurea can be problematic if they are incompatible.

Mixing different grease types like moly and extreme pressure or general purpose all with lithium bases is generally not problematic.
I hear this all the time, but I’d like to know what “problematic “ means. What’s the outcome of mixing incompatible grease?

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Most of your joints are just simple steel bushings with simple steel pins, just use plenty of the moly grease to push out the unknown product. In the future, keep others from using whatever they want.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This has been discussed ad nauseam and there are as many different opinions, as there are brands and types within the brands. Any grease is better than no grease, and my opinion is that as long as there is grease in the bushings and pins, all is well. Bearings is a different discussion best left for another day.
For the OP: JUST PLAIN GREASE!
ANY GREASE FOR A LOADER......and at least as FREQUENTLY as mfg. recommends!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I've always used multipurpose grease and 50 hours on the 3 JDs and now the B2601. Got a Lube Shuttle now with LockNLoad tip. No mess.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
1658407829979.png

C = Compatible, B = Borderline Compatible, I = Incompatible

As others have pointed out, greatly discussed topic, with the general agreement grease often and grease with the same product and you eliminate the compatibility issue on the loader. Realizing that other areas that require grease need more care in making sure the grease is the correct for the task that is required to be preformed. The loader pins are simple, they just need lube.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So, I’ll preface this by saying I’ve looked online and in forums but can’t find an answer.
I understand your not supposed to mix grease, but not knowing exactly what grease is In the loader now put in by dealer, is it safe to use a different brand/kind of grease. The loader manual says a moly grease, so that’s what I was planning to use. I just want to ensure I wont do damage if I use a different brand or if the grease the dealer put in isn’t a moly grease. On a side note, I ended up ordering another grease gun since the tractor uses different grease than the loader. I’ve never used a grease gun, only the tubes that you screw on, for weed wackers and stuff like that, so I’m not sure if you can reseal grease when you need to switch kinds out of the gun. not sure if that’s needed or not, any feedback is appreciated.
"Moly" is an additive to a lithium soap base grease. So even if the dealer just used regular wheel bearing grease it is a lithium complex grease. I would like to think the dealer used what is spec'd but I know how that goes. No harm in using a moly fortified lube.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Thanks all! Appreciate all the responses, I was worried about opening up a can of worms, as I figured grease on the forum is a hotly contested topic much like oil on car forums. It sounds like I had the right idea about which type of grease to use (just following whats in the manual), and that there will be no harm if the grease im putting into the zerk is a different brand then the one the dealer put in. Just want to make sure Im doing everything correct with the tractor, I would like it to last a long time.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>I was worried about opening up a can of worms<<

Whatever you do don't ask which motor oil is the best! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
>>I was worried about opening up a can of worms<<

Whatever you do don't ask which motor oil is the best! :LOL:
In my experience on the ranger forum and looking at the bob the oil guy forums, I can only imagine LOL

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
"Moly" is an additive to a lithium soap base grease. So even if the dealer just used regular wheel bearing grease it is a lithium complex grease. I would like to think the dealer used what is spec'd but I know how that goes. No harm in using a moly fortified lube.

Now that right there is funny. My dealer didn't even install the bushings when they replaced a backhoe boom.

Yes, there will be no harm, especially when moly is recommended.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Of more import is whether OP is using Lok-n-Lube attachment to avoid future warranty claims denial.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Moly is an EP anti-wear additive which is added to some lithium and calcium based greases.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks all! Appreciate all the responses, I was worried about opening up a can of worms, as I figured grease on the forum is a hotly contested topic much like oil on car forums. It sounds like I had the right idea about which type of grease to use (just following whats in the manual), and that there will be no harm if the grease im putting into the zerk is a different brand then the one the dealer put in. Just want to make sure Im doing everything correct with the tractor, I would like it to last a long time.
Buy and mount an appropriate size fire extinguisher,.....if you "would like it to last a long time"!
Metal handle/metal valve type.
Not big box store junk!