Quality issue from the factory

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Who has tore into an engine and found something that has been into the engine since the factory that was not suppose to be there. I had to replace the head gasket on my skidsteer which has a kubota engine in it. I knew I had a bad injector also so I had them pressure checked and replace one. It so happen this was on number 3 cyl, same place as the head gasket was bad. The exhaust manifold was almost plugged on this cyl which I thought was carbon. I went to fix that before installing and found out it was a big ball of casting from when the manifold was cast. I tried grinding it but was messy and took to long so I set it up in my milling machine and cut it out. I had to cut almost an inch of metal until I got the hole opened up. Cannot wait to try it out to see what difference it will make

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
And you could bet the failed injector and head gasket were caused by overheat due to blocked manifold.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a friend who bought a brand new Dragon tractor (Dragon 324, I believe made by Taishan) for a great deal- the selling dealership had found a shop rag in one of the cylinders. Because of the issue, Dave got it for less than new.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Was talking to another member on the phone the other night. He was telling me about his buddy who had a tractor transmission torn down completely because it locked up. The cause of the transmission being locked up was a flash light :rolleyes:

I've had brand new equipment shipped into the shop missing a wire in the wiring harness. Missing wire just happened to feed the exciter portion of the alternator, so it wouldn't charge. Come to find out that the manufacturer changed who was building there wiring harnesses and there quality controlled sucked. :rolleyes:

I've had to institute a no tear down policy on air cooled diesels that get shipped to me for possible bad rings. Other mechanics were causing more damage when the actual cause was a stupid simple fix. Had some that were just wet stacked (running it for days at an idle) so it was puking oil out the exhaust. Or the oil bath air cleaner was so clogged full of crud or over filled it was either sucking oil through the intake, or putting a vacuum on the pvc valve so it was burning oil. Both were cheap simple fixes, but other mechanics were causing thousands in damage with snapped bolts in aluminum heads and such :rolleyes:

Fix for it is to clean the oil bath, fill to proper oil level, then run the living snot out of it under a load to clean out the intake :D:cool:

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
When I was in the Army we got a shipment of new 20 ton truck mounted cranes in and we were getting them ready to be issued out to units or go into the inventory. One had a strange noise in the motor. After several days of trying to find it a decision was made to pull the motor and tear it down. When the oil pan was removed it was full of shim stock. The motor was reinstalled and ran fine.
On my motor it was in a NH skidsteer which was built around 1970-71. and it looked like it had never been taken apart before. I am the second owner. I have used it since in the late 80's

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Previous comment deleted, I can't see Kubota being interested in an engine that old!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Found a valve cover bolt in the intake port of a 97 intrepid 3.5 litre. Had 400 kilometres on it when it came back to dealer with a misfire. New cylinder head and away it went to run another 300,000.

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
Had a buddy that worked at a chevy dealer had a 1500 come in under warranty said it would lose engine oil pressure.if you shut the truck off for a minute and restart u would get pressure back for a little bit then lose it again. turns out there was pack of cigarettes in the oil pan that would get stuck on the oil pickup. gotta love that quality control lol