Puye geeks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK Im sure I am not the only one being bombarded with the windows to reserve my copy of windows 10. So I have some questions,
1 Aint nuttin free, what this going to cost me down the road?
2 Im running windows 7 whats the big deal with the new 10
3 And most importantly do I really need windows 10 for anything that I do,, no social media,, no gaming,, no business stuff ,,,so di I really need it and if so why?
Please tell me guys, I know there will be some glib posts and I understand my lack of computer skills is funny even to me. I just need to know in simple plan langue if it is something I should do.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
They are giving away windows 10 to try to make up for the loss when windows 8 hit.

Other reasons. Want to sell other stuff.Soon their os will be a yearly subscription
Like office 360!
http://www.hindustantimes.com/techn...iveaway-what-that-means/article1-1374587.aspx

If you are not having problems with 7 you can stick with it.
It will be good until Jan. 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

If you are going for it I would wait until some of the bugs are fixed.

You also will want to run the compatibility test as some older software does not work/work right.
So the cost can be new software to work with 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/40aa7143-faa5-4ee0-b817-bb63f0e9cbde?auth=1

Ray

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK Im sure I am not the only one being bombarded with the windows to reserve my copy of windows 10. So I have some questions,
1 Aint nuttin free, what this going to cost me down the road?
2 Im running windows 7 whats the big deal with the new 10
3 And most importantly do I really need windows 10 for anything that I do,, no social media,, no gaming,, no business stuff ,,,so di I really need it and if so why?
Please tell me guys, I know there will be some glib posts and I understand my lack of computer skills is funny even to me. I just need to know in simple plan langue if it is something I should do.
skeets I am wit cha .....the hell with 10 !!! If I could still use XP I would, just when you think you know the ins and outs and where to find stuff, they go and change it !!!

10 will allow you to tie in more electron stuff to it, but if you are like me, being able to still use the damn keyboard without touching the screen is still fine with me!

I am starting to feel like 7 is the way to go.......it is stable for the most part and does everything I need!

just my 2.2 cents.......:D:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I will say that 7 is better than xp. XP was pretty solid. Windows is just trying to force people into the a system that is a more controlled environment. It used to be normal to change some of the things that go on in the background. Changing network settings for example. Now if you want to change network settings it's buried underneath a bunch of pretty interfaces trying to make everything "user friendly". They've made it so damn user friendly that I have a hard time operating it. Same thing with the latest microsoft office programs. I wish it would stop doing crap like automatically numbering and formatting and crap.
Anyway, rant over.
My take;
Windows 7 - Thumbs up
Windows 8 - Thumbs down
Windows 10 - Thumbs down

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Windows 10 has advanced embedded tracking systems installed. I'm not paranoid, and don't wear tin foil hats, but being retired from a Wi-Fi/ Telco giant, I am fully aware of what can be watched and tracked, even what I was doing 5 years ago would scare the average end user. Big brother IS watching, but mostly for advertising purposes.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Sigh...

Tracking takes place on all operating systems, old or new. They know where you are by your IP address.

Windows 10 is not big and scary. It's essentially Windows 8.5 and it is what Windows 8 should have been had they listened to us in the industry.

I Alpha Test products. I have been on many Windows test cycles including 8. I skipped 10 because it wasn't that big of a deal. We HAMMERED Microsoft during the Windows 8 testing because it was such a departure in concept from standard windows operations. They ignored us and they paid the price. The lack of adoption cost all the software producers a lot of time and money.

Windows 10 being free addresses that, they are even giving it to people who have ILLEGAL Windows installations to appease the Software vendors that need a stable and consistent development platform. It also addresses everyone to move forward and not stay back on Vista era stuff.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 10. The vast majority of Windows 8 compliant software will run just fine on it. As I said, it's really just and improvement of 8 that finally incorporates the changes we asked for during the Beta of Win 8.

Asking for and using a Windows XP box on the internet is like playing Russian roulette with a sawed off shotgun. There is no winner, you lose on the first pull of the trigger, and it makes a gawd-awful mess.

If you are worried about 10, wait until the first major patch release, usually in 3-6 months, then all the larger stuff they missed will be fixed.

There are over 10 million early adopters of Windows 10 out there and the overall impression has been positive with few problems. The learning curve has been dramatically reduced with the Start Menu being moved to a pop up menu instead of a full screen which freaked everyone out in 8. The operating system is being standardized across all platforms, from PC's, to tablets, to smartphones. Unlike other OS's, Windows will be windows no matter what format it is running on, at least this is what Microsoft has been driving for since the release of 8.

BTW, bonus points for knowing why it's Windows 10 and not Windows 9...

(They didn't want the shortened version of the name to be like Win9X which actually refers to Windows 95 & Windows 98, so they skipped forward to 10)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very interesting,,, but you still didnt answer my question,, DO I NEED IT AND WHY???

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
well I might be an old fossil but I'm still using windowsXP, which does everything I want it to do, and even some things I don't want it to do.
When I pick up the wife's new state of art (and already obsolete and worthless) laptop with windows 8, I can't find anything. I haven't seen any businesses switching over to windows 8 or windows 10, so that should tell you something.
I wouldn't recommend jumping on the band wagon until after they let the public work out all the bugs for them.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Businesses haven't had a chance to evaluate Windows 10 and the industry is already looking like it is going to adopt it. You can usually skip an OS, but not two. Windows 7 was just a cleaned up version of Vista. Windows 10 is just a cleaned up version of 8.

Windows XP cannot be protected by any sort of anti-malware that exists due to flaws in the Operating System itself. It is entirely vulnerable to any of the automated malware software packages on the internet. No Anti-Malware software can defend you against something the OS cannot detect. It is naked and vulnerable. I'd get off that as fast as possible.

Windows 10 overcomes Windows 8's perceptual shortcomings. Folks just didn't get that tile 'Start' screen. They didn't get the swapping of the kernel spaces between the desktop and the 'light applications' modes. By never leaving the Desktop, like the Windows XP users are used to, it looks and feels more like standard Windows, with a lot more bells and whistles.

Now, WHY you'd want to upgrade, I could give you the Microsoft Corporate line but I'll stick with the practical stuff.

Windows 7 is a good solid OS but it is almost 7 years old now and in the security world, that is dangerous. It has a lot of security flaws that get patched regularly. The bad guys don't have a good handle on 10 yet so it's a bit safer.

Windows 10 is free, and there is no real downside to that. It's free because Microsoft needs wide market adoption to consolidate the Windows world.

Windows 10 allows for the small apps (lightweight applications) to run. Things you might enjoy on your smartphone will work in Windows 10. Microsoft want's to encourage platform agnostic (doesn't matter what is running it) software to be written by just about anyone with the inkling to code. So those 100,000 apps out there can run on a desktop.

Windows 10 is far more multi-media compliant. It is made for communication and sharing of information. Windows 7 is good at it, Windows 10 has it at its core.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Windows 10. Windows 7 is good, but its days are numbered. The sooner you get working with the newer Operating Systems, the sooner you will be used to them and finding out what they can do for you.

If you like what Apple did with Siri on the iPhone, the Windows version of Siri is Cortana and he/she is free with Windows 10.

Lastly, Windows 10 is far more efficient than Windows 7. If you feel your PC is a little laggy in 7, it will be faster in 10 with NO hardware changes. It's just more efficient code.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So my computer is a desk top. Use it on about 6 forums, E-mail, EBay, Craig's List, look up some thing on YouTube. Don't play games or go to sites my anti-malware quarantines me from. My cell phone is a "flip phone", only make phone calls.

Do I need more "apps"? More OS to make connections to?

I use ESET and Malwarebytes premium (both purchased products). Never had a problem with computer slowing down, or virus, or other trash.

So how will version 10 help me?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
wingnut, take shaun's advise and get rid of xp. Mine crashed 2 weeks ago and I lost 28 years of business records. When I took it to the computer store , he said there was nothing to support it any more. No virus protection, no windows support. He wouldn't even attempt to fix it. I sure wish I had known 3 weeks ago.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
wingnut, take shaun's advise and get rid of xp. Mine crashed 2 weeks ago and I lost 28 years of business records. When I took it to the computer store , he said there was nothing to support it any more. No virus protection, no windows support. He wouldn't even attempt to fix it. I sure wish I had known 3 weeks ago.
There are companies out there that can recover it for you. I do not know of any right now but will see if I can get a couple of names for you. Fair warning, they are not cheep!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very interesting,,, but you still didnt answer my question,, DO I NEED IT AND WHY???
skeets,

can i get a hell %$^#ing no from the pulpit !:)

my mom has windows 8 on a laptop, hell it took me 10 minutes just to find the damn desktop!:(:eek::p

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
skeets,

can i get a hell %$^#ing no from the pulpit !:)

my mom has windows 8 on a laptop, hell it took me 10 minutes just to find the damn desktop!:(:eek::p
Short cut.
To go to the desktop in 8 hold the windows key next to alt and push 'd'
To find somthing hold windows key and 'f' key and a search box appeared.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
If your hard drive is readable you can get this adaptor and convert it into a usb drive.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/427174/IDE-SATA_To_USB_30_Adapter

Or I connect it up as a second drive to get data off.

This software works good when the drive is messed up, as long as it still spins.

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/
There is a free verssion for small amounts of data. I use the pro version.

Remember to backup, backup and then backup your backups!

Ray

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Anyone with Windows 8 that doesn't like it should upgrade to Windows 10, you will like it much better.

D2Cat, maybe I can answer you this way:

Are you happy with your car? Someone offers you a brand new car, same type, maybe a few upgrades in the car, but they've moved some stuff around and it's seats don't fit your butt like a glove so you'd have to break them in again. The catch is, the car is free. Are you willing to learn how to use the new car and break in the seats and all the stuff that comes with a new car if you have to pay the price of 'free' for it?

Yes, it's a hassle and your old car suits you just fine. You know your old car will be dead before the new one will be, but hey, stick with what you know. That's a perfectly logical approach to the issue, it's all a choice and it's all valid.

I'm not trying to sell you the new car, just pointing out it exists and what it can do.