Pulling force

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
What kind of ballpark am I looking at for amount of straight pulling force in low gear on my 245dt. I was trying to help guide some trees with snatch blocks and had a synthetic winch line continuously break on me at one end. 3/16 Line is supposed to be rated for 3500lbs. Maybe it was just that joint but I wondered what the tractor could handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First, how many blocks were in use? Remember the more blocks ( pulleys ) you have in the hook up multiply's the pulling force. So you may have just been over rating the rope, and remember that the load capacity of the rope is the static load its rated for not the shock load, and 3/16 aint a big rope (line ) might be OK for hanging a deer or hog. For MHO 3/16 is way to small for doing anything where you need any amount of high pulling capacity. As far as pulling force, well that relies mainly on traction, in most cases you will run out of traction long before you will run out of power. This is my uptake on your question at 0430 before coffee, you mileage may differ

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's all relative to amount of blocks, weight and traction, no way for us to give you that Number.
There is devices out there that will measure the force for you, but probably more costly than would be useful for this.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
You could use this handy formula
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/tow-bars/drawbar-pull1.htm

You will need to get the torque value for your tractor, and determine the drive ratio.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/8/1282-kubota-l245.html

Then assume you are not just "spinning your wheels". ;-)

Tractor pulling force has absolutely nothing to do with rope size or the number of hitches in the set up. That's a different set of calculations.

Isn't math FUN! ;-)

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
First, how many blocks were in use? Remember the more blocks ( pulleys ) you have in the hook up multiply's the pulling force. So you may have just been over rating the rope, and remember that the load capacity of the rope is the static load its rated for not the shock load, and 3/16 aint a big rope (line ) might be OK for hanging a deer or hog. For MHO 3/16 is way to small for doing anything where you need any amount of high pulling capacity. As far as pulling force, well that relies mainly on traction, in most cases you will run out of traction long before you will run out of power. This is my uptake on your question at 0430 before coffee, you mileage may differ
I understand pulleys and how to calculate the force through the driveline, just didn't feel like doing it if someone knew off hand. It was synthetic winch line and rated for 3400 pounds, seems plenty for what it needed to do. One pulley was in use.

It was just the way I had it tied off at the one end. since they are meant to be wrapped up on the drum of the winch, my tying it off just made a stress concentration. Did it again tonight with a different attachment and worked like a charm....dumb operator error :)

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Dragging a stump like that is asking a lot.
Winch synthetic rope is great in the fact it wont kill you if it breaks. Thats it.
3400 rating is for a rolling load. Add an incline or a snagged stump and power requirements increase exponentially.

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
Dragging a stump like that is asking a lot.
Winch synthetic rope is great in the fact it wont kill you if it breaks. Thats it.
3400 rating is for a rolling load. Add an incline or a snagged stump and power requirements increase exponentially.
what? I wasn't dragging it. I had the pulley up on the tree to help guide/ convince it. Picture was just showing I got it down no problem.