Pull behind brush cutter

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
This isn’t a tractor implement I suppose but more of an ATV implement, but with the knowledge base here I’m sure you will be able to help.
My local cross country ski club is looking for a pull behind brush cutter that can be pulled behind a Atv or UTV, to make trail clearing in the fall time a bit easier. Right now we do it manually. It would be used to cut down the new growth, such as willow saplings and grasses that sprout up between the winter seasons. Any suggestions on what kind of things I should be looking for as far a options or design would be greatly appreciated.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
lots and lots of options to make this type of work.
local ski club here uses a model like this one.

this one uses an external hydro power pack to run the mower. Costs a little bit more but designed for HD use. For lighter use they also make them with small gas motors. I am a fan of Honda commercial motors.

pay attention to if you want a trail "keeper" or a trail "maker".
If budget is important look at the ones with gas motors for power.... if budget is higher and use is more HD consider a diesel or hydro drive one.

Trail keepers are lighter built and smaller aux. engines.
Trail makers are much heavier duty.

sounds like a trail keeper is probably what you need.

Honda power plants are very nice.
Also i would strongly want an electric start. Manual pull start work fine for those younger guys when motor is finely tuned. Over time as power plant wears electric start is a must for me.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I had this Swisher Roughcut for 5-6 years. I had to replace the drivebelt and both wheels. I got a flat and water got inside the rims and they rusted out. I was very happy with it. I used it to clear a lot of land here. Once I got it manageable for a mower I sold it and got most of my money out of it. This was only about $2K several years ago.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had this Swisher Roughcut for 5-6 years. I had to replace the drivebelt and both wheels. I got a flat and water got inside the rims and they rusted out. I was very happy with it. I used it to clear a lot of land here. Once I got it manageable for a mower I sold it and got most of my money out of it. This was only about $2K several years ago.
Nice looking machine!