PTO Yoke Stuck

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
I recently removed my PTO shaft to clean it. I removed all grease from both yokes and shaft and added new grease. When I reinstalled it, the implement yoke became stuck on the spline before the quick release pin engaged. I tried tapping it off with no luck so then I tried tapping it all the way on with no luck. I used PB Blaster and let it set over night with the same results as earlier. For my next attempt, I used a propane torch to heat the yoke but because of how everything is situated, I couldn't use enough force to tap and remove the yoke. I was able to heat and tap the yoke all the way onto the spline until the disconnect pin ungauged so now at least I can use the implement but I still can't remove the yoke from the spline.

In lieu of advice from this forum, my hope is that using the implement some will loosen up the yoke/spline connection enough so I can separate them.

Any helpful tips or advice will be much appreciated.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If all else fails, disassemble the shaft, and get a puller that will hold the yoke, and push on the pto shaft. That way, you will not damage anything. I would rathe sacrifice the yoke by cutting it apart rather than damaging internal parts of the tractor. A new yoke or a completely new shaft isn't as expensive as tearing a transmission apart. I also can't understand why the yoke should get stuck on the shaft after cleaning and re-lubing, unless you got some contamination inside the shaft, such as sand.

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
If all else fails, disassemble the shaft, and get a puller that will hold the yoke, and push on the pto shaft. That way, you will not damage anything. I would rathe sacrifice the yoke by cutting it apart rather than damaging internal parts of the tractor. A new yoke or a completely new shaft isn't as expensive as tearing a transmission apart. I also can't understand why the yoke should get stuck on the shaft after cleaning and re-lubing, unless you got some contamination inside the shaft, such as sand.
Foreign matter was a concern before I began so I was careful to keep it clean and not introduce any but that doesn't mean I was successful. I really don't want to take it apart and use a puller but that will be my next attempt if using the implement doesn't loosen it up. Thanks for your reply.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Any chance you can get a long pry bar and use it as a lever to tap against the yoke against something on the implement?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When you hammer on the yoke, you are actually hammering on the internals of the transmission. That is why I recommended the puller. There is a possibility that whatever puller you happen to own, will not fit for this task, so see if you can borrow one from a local truck shop, or if you have a trailer, bring the tractor to them. I know that I have 2 drawers full of different pullers, and occasionally, what I have won't work on what I am pulling on. I have a friend that has a wall full of Snap On pullers, and he is my to go to person when I run into this problem. Most shafts have a center drill hole for the center point of the puller to push on the PTO shaft. You might need a deep jaw on the puller to grab the sides of the yoke.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
either use a proper puller or..... big wrenches and pickle fork. The big wrenches(1/2) go round the PTO shaft as 'spacers' , the pickle fork moves the yoke out. Add more wrenches as required to fill the gap, then tap the pickle fork again. You need EVEN pressure to push/pull the toke off the PTO shaft. TWO prybars 'might' work, though awkward. Be sure PTO shaft is 'engaged'( keeps it from rotating) should help.
If you can SECURE a chain around the BACK of the yoke ,you might be able to 'slap' the chain and move the yoke....seen that before, to release 5th wheel lock. Just be REAL careful ! chains can hurt real bad !!

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
When you hammer on the yoke, you are actually hammering on the internals of the transmission. That is why I recommended the puller. There is a possibility that whatever puller you happen to own, will not fit for this task, so see if you can borrow one from a local truck shop, or if you have a trailer, bring the tractor to them. I know that I have 2 drawers full of different pullers, and occasionally, what I have won't work on what I am pulling on. I have a friend that has a wall full of Snap On pullers, and he is my to go to person when I run into this problem. Most shafts have a center drill hole for the center point of the puller to push on the PTO shaft. You might need a deep jaw on the puller to grab the sides of the yoke.
Actually, it's stuck on the implement side which I prefer to the tractor side. I mage a judgement call and did put force on the implement spline and luckily it didn't appear that I damaged anything. I would never had done that to the tractor side since that would be a very expensive repair. Being on the implement side I accepted the risk. Still hoping I didn't damage something that will show up down the road.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
What brand and type of implement do you have? Most that I have and seen only use a quick release on the tractor side the implement. Usually the implement has a split yoke with a bolt that passes through the yoke and splined shaft and when tighten it securely fastens the yoke to the shaft. With this type of setup you can remove the bolt an wedge open the yoke to remove. Good luck

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
It's a Lowery Manufacturing rotary tiller. Unfortunately, it has the same type of connection that my tractor has.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I'm not familiar with Lowery brand tillers, are you running a rotary tiller without a clutch pack? Most have slip disc to prevent damage to both the tiller and tractor. I know that this is not the problem you're having but if you happen to jam a rock or root in the tiller you'll understand what I'm saying.

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
My PTO shaft uses a shear bolt. I'm waiting for delivery of a new tractor and once it arrives I'll probably cut the PTO yoke from my implement.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
In your first post you indicated that the input shaft of the implement was splined, input shafts that use shear bolts are smooth. There must have been burs on the shaft that's causing the binding. When you attempted to install the yoke how much "tapping " did you do? Whatever you do do not put a chain on the yoke and a 50# weight on the other end and throw it, don't do it

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
There are likely many implements in use that haven't had the PTO shaft removed in decades.

Don't worry about it. Just maintain it in place. Check once in a while after use to see if it is loose.

How often do you remove your truck driveshaft? :)

Bruce

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
This is the type of yoke on one end of my PTO shaft. The other end is identical except there is no shear bolt. The tractor PTO output is splined and the implement PTO input is identical. Both PTO input and output have an indent that goes around the entire circumference of both splines so the push pin built into both yokes can lock onto the splines.
F694FE64-FE54-41FB-8E10-F4F9EB58468E.jpeg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a Rhino brand tiller with a similar shaft end at the tiller.

When I got it the PTO shaft was rusted onto the implement gearbox input shaft.
I took the u-joint apart (ruined that U-joint) so only that half was left on the tiller. That gave better access to the area and gave better options to hit on. I soaked it with PB BLASTER to get the pin to move and then drove it onto the shaft another 1/4 inch the tapped it back off after spraying it Pb Blaster. Going back and forth broke it loose. I may have actually figured out how to remove the pin assembly before starting the process but don’t recall exactly.

You probably have some burr inside since you said it was cleaned up when you started. You may have to figure out if you’re able to replace the shaft and cut the yoke off the implement. Or as suggested just leave it on the implement and see if it loosens up in some time.

Tmonan

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
I found this video on YouTube and tried it. It worked like a charm. The yoke came right off. I tightened the ratchet strap and tapped the yoke with a hammer.