PTO welder

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
By the time you buy pulleys belts shafts pillow blocks etc it can get real pricey. I think a gear box using tph would be better simpler cheaper.:D Dusty
O.K. I have a question :confused:???? Is a TPH tractor powered welder more expensive or better than a stand alone plug in welder? :confused:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
My 2 cents worth aint worth much BUT be careful investing a lot of money in that welder if it is a good welder it should work fine but the pto is only acting as a engine does on a gasoline welder. You should be able to build a small simple platform to put it on with enough slit in plate to line up the pulleys and nut and bolts to act as tensioner to pull from opposite side of welder to hold tension on belts. I wouldnt put a lot of work and money in it until I made sure it worked. Simple setup to test it should not be that expensive. Those are good welders if someone hasnt burn burned it up already.handy

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
I'm appreciating all the input and discussion around my welder but I'm thinking of leaving it for now as I can call out a mobile welder professional if I really needed it. I thought it was going to be easy to set up but now I'm thinking that I'll be spending too much time rigging something that might not even work. I liked Handy's suggestion of testing it out first.

When I do get "free time" to test it, I was thinking of using my table saw motor. Thought it might be easy to add some pulleys to see that it works. Now that I know how to do the calculation on pulley size, it shouldn't be to hard.

Now if only I could find the "free time". Retirement is still a long way off for me.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
A pto welder is more expensive than your lilcoln 225 plug in ark welder, but the pto welder you can take out into the middle of a field or bush. That better be one big table saw , those three pulleys arent just there for looks. But I agree with Handyman about not investing a whole lot of time and money on what might end up being a boat anchor. But I still want one. Wants and needs are two different stories.:D Dusty

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I hope he does get it hooked up but do it simple at first so he doesnt have a lot of time and money. If it works it will be well worth finishing it. Remember you can do a lot with that welder and go about any place with that tractor.That dc welder is a very good welder. handy

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say just hang on to that welder and see what you can find out about it. I just did a Google search of Tecomaster tools and all it brings up is table saw's and radial arm saw's. Which maybe you just have something a little different and could be rare.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
On the subject of rare, I agree. Tecomaster was a house brand of T Eaton Co, a Canadian institution for over 100 years, which fell to the discount houses more than 20 years ago.

As for portable, I would prefer a 4000 watt generator with 240 volt output and a standard welder. Put them both in the bucket or on a trailer.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Just clean up the welder a little then take it down to your local Applebee's. They can hang it from the wall with all the other odd stuff and you might get a free plate of Rib-lets.

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
Just clean up the welder a little then take it down to your local Applebee's. They can hang it from the wall with all the other odd stuff and you might get a free plate of Rib-lets.

Finally some advice I can sink my teeth into!
Thanks Scott