PTO welder

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
When I bought my tractor the guy threw in an electric welder that runs via a pulley off the PTO. I don't weld and know even less about using the tractors PTO to run a welder. Does anyone have any experience with this type of welder? I don't want to waste time figuring out how to run a pulley off my PTO unless it is worthwhile. I've attached pictures of it to help identify it.

Attachments

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Looks like it would work. I've not seen one like that before. When was the last time the guy used it? Did you get the pulley that goes on the pto? I do some shade-tree welding and that machine looks like it would be all kinds of handy! If it was mine, I'd probably rework it to hook up on a 3 pt hitch and run off the pto via a pto shaft. Did the guy say how many rpm to run the pto? I'm guessing 540?

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
A few thoughts for you.

TecoMaster was an Eatons house brand - but I didn't know they were into that kind of hardware.

It looks like it is designed to run from an standard 1/3 hp household electric motor. Don't those usually run at 1250 rpm? So you need a 3 to 1 speed increase to get the specified rpm's, if the plate really says '3000 rpm'.

If that is a simple ds generator inside, then polarity is simply a matter of which direction you turn the shaft.

I think it maybe very difficult to get 3000 rpm from a 540 rpm pto, but may be much easier from a front pulley with the engine at 1000 rpm.

Last edited:

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
I don't have the PTO shaft for it.

With my rear PTO maxing at 540, how would I calculate the pulley size to get it to 3000? Sounds like a big leap.

The previous owner didn't used it (on this tractor anyway) as he told me I would have to fab the shaft off the PTO. Also the tractor he sold me is a 2008. This looks much older.

I'm curious about Stuart mentioning running it off the front motor. At least the RPM wouldn't be as big an issue. Is it difficult to add a pulley onto the front?

A mid PTO (an option I'm told is easy to add on) runs at 2000 RPM. Could this be another way to go? I don't know what the mid PTO would look like but I'm thinking it would be set up for a mower deck attachment.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
RPM calculations are actually quite easy. Lets start with chain, because it is easier to work with. 20 teeth on the drive gear, 20 teeth on the driven gear means the same rpm. One revolution of the drive pulley moves 20 links. If the driven gear has 10 teeth, it turns 2 revolutions ( to have 20 teeth go by ) for each drive gear revolution. - RPM increase. If the driven gear has 40 teeth, it moves one half revolution (20 teeth) for each drive gear revolution - RPM decrease.

For pulleys, same principle. Use the ratio of the circumference, just substitute inches for number of teeth. Fortunately, the ratio of diameters works just as well as the ratio of circumferences. For speed increase, a 6" pulley driving a 2" pulley makes it go at 3 times the rpm. Or a 9" driving a 3". 1000 engine rpm gives the 3000 load rpm specified on the info plate.

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
I never heard of such a thing :eek: What the hell else can be powered from a tractors PTO :confused:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
RPM calculations are actually quite easy. Lets start with chain, because it is easier to work with. 20 teeth on the drive gear, 20 teeth on the driven gear means the same rpm. One revolution of the drive pulley moves 20 links. If the driven gear has 10 teeth, it turns 2 revolutions ( to have 20 teeth go by ) for each drive gear revolution. - RPM increase. If the driven gear has 40 teeth, it moves one half revolution (20 teeth) for each drive gear revolution - RPM decrease.

For pulleys, same principle. Use the ratio of the circumference, just substitute inches for number of teeth. Fortunately, the ratio of diameters works just as well as the ratio of circumferences. For speed increase, a 6" pulley driving a 2" pulley makes it go at 3 times the rpm. Or a 9" driving a 3". 1000 engine rpm gives the 3000 load rpm specified on the info plate.

Stuart,
Thanks for explaining that, I really appreciate it!

Scott

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario

Thanks! That is straightforward. Even I can understand this one. Now I just have to figure how to connect it to the tractor.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
You can do it a couple of different ways. With the belt drive the welder usually sits on a seperate frame with wheels. Or you can mount it on the tph with the pto going to a gear box to get your rpm's. Not quite that simple but you get the idea. I have one just a tad bigger only it is a welder generator. It is sitting in my scrap pile cause I just don't have the time or interest or energy to mess with it.:D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have one just a tad bigger only it is a welder generator. It is sitting in my scrap pile cause I just don't have the time or interest or energy to mess with it.
Sounds like you might have on hell of a scrap pile worthy of looking through :rolleyes:

Scott

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Make sure you include Wildfire.

Speaking of him - I have not seen any posts from him recently.

Stuart

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Is the output of this welder 300Amps?if it is and has 3 drive pullys it may need belts on all 3 so there is no slipage!
Dave

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Spider tractor?? I just finished the sweeper this afternoon and tucked it away in one of the back sheds. About the time we were sweeping Ben's lawn, I decided that a power sweeper was not the best thing for a guy with lung problems. Stupid stupid stupid!!!!!! But it does work well. Got a couple of lawns to roll tomorrow including my own. Then I have to try and turbo charge the mower deck for the Steiner. It just does not cut well enough , fast enough. I think its losing air in the wrong places and the discharge chute is too small. So I will into some more modification's. Maybe then Spider tractor.OOOHH sorry. Box blade/ power box rake comes next. Lots to do anyway. Retirement is so busy.:D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Spider tractor?? I just finished the sweeper this afternoon and tucked it away in one of the back sheds. About the time we were sweeping Ben's lawn, I decided that a power sweeper was not the best thing for a guy with lung problems. Stupid stupid stupid!!!!!! But it does work well. Got a couple of lawns to roll tomorrow including my own. Then I have to try and turbo charge the mower deck for the Steiner. It just does not cut well enough , fast enough. I think its losing air in the wrong places and the discharge chute is too small. So I will into some more modification's. Maybe then Spider tractor.OOOHH sorry. Box blade/ power box rake comes next. Lots to do anyway. Retirement is so busy.:D Dusty
Dusty (ironic name for a man with lung probs) anyway, how about a dust mask while doing those troublesome dirty tasks?

Annnnnd I'm getting the gut wrenching feeling you are putting the Spider Tractor on the back burner indefinitely. You are my only hope for this :(

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Dusty (sandblasting 10 yrs worth)Ironic yes considering that it was the lack of a mask that got me into this fix. Spider tractor uhhhh sorry its on the back back back burner. More important things going on. I would love to attempt it but it seems the time required is not there. Sorry buddy.:( Dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Dusty (sandblasting 10 yrs worth)Ironic yes considering that it was the lack of a mask that got me into this fix. Spider tractor uhhhh sorry its on the back back back burner. More important things going on. I would love to attempt it but it seems the time required is not there. Sorry buddy.:( Dusty
Thank you for the easy let down. Excuse me but I need to go off and be alone for a while :(

Scott

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
Is the output of this welder 300Amps?if it is and has 3 drive pullys it may need belts on all 3 so there is no slipage!
Dave
Yes, it is 300 amps and it does have 3 pulleys.