PTO shaft stuck on tractor

DJ05747

Equipment
1977 Kubota B7100D, Woods RM42, Snowcaster 48
Oct 31, 2023
Vermont
Hi,

Fist experience with a tractor here. Recently purchased a 1977 Kubota B7100D with a Woods RM42 attached. When I tried to remove the mower for the winter the PTO shaft did not want to come off. Previous owner said that he had it off last winter. At first I couldn't get the pin to move but after lots of PB Blaster it moves freely. I pushed in the pin and tried to pull the shaft off with my hands but it would not move. I then took a ratchet strap, went around a tree and tried to ratchet it off while holding the pin in with a clamp. It wouldn't move. Anyone have any tricks to get it off. I have sprayed it down with lots of PB Blaster and WD-40 Rust Penetrator. Thanks.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Rig up that ratchet strap again and give the shaft a tappity tap tap with a hammer while under tension. Lube will help too.

Reactions: 3 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Keep soaking. tap it both in the on and off directions. That might help get it moving. Make sure the pin is nice and free - and fully depressed.

Reactions: 1 user

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Stay out of the line of fire when you get that strap under tension. You have a several thousand pound sling shot.
Try a little heat with a propane torch.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Make sure the PIN is held down when you are pulling - you may need two people - one to hold pin and one to tug.

1699633249756.png

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As others have mentioned the pin may be what is not releasing. Soak the pin with the solvent and tap lightly with a small wrench or hammer to free it up internally. It should pull off with very little force.

You might try to push the shaft forward and then back. It will only move a slight amount, but it may free up what is lodged there.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
It appears to have been hit with a chisel a few times on the top side in the second photo, not a good tool to use. Have you ran it at all since you have had it? If not maybe that would loosen it a little if it has been sitting and not used for a long time.
I wonder if you could make a puller with a piece of bar stock to go thru the ujoint and with some threaded rod on each side pushing against the tractor get it to move, making sure the release pin is pushed. Some of the pins will come out if you remove a clip on the opposite side from the push part.

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be nice to remove the PTO shield so you could have good ACCESS to it !
some compressed air to blow the crud away might help, then more 'degreaser', brake cleaner', more air...especially on the splines( get to them from the end.
sadly few actually remove,clean, lube, reinstall PTO shafts on 'one purpose' equipment making it 'fun' for the next guy
Patience, cleaner, good eyeballs......
..it'll come off

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
And I should add, you don't need to pound the snot out of it with a 3# hammer. Tapping with a small hammer can work well without damaging seals, bearings, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,

Fist experience with a tractor here. Recently purchased a 1977 Kubota B7100D with a Woods RM42 attached. When I tried to remove the mower for the winter the PTO shaft did not want to come off. Previous owner said that he had it off last winter. At first I couldn't get the pin to move but after lots of PB Blaster it moves freely. I pushed in the pin and tried to pull the shaft off with my hands but it would not move. I then took a ratchet strap, went around a tree and tried to ratchet it off while holding the pin in with a clamp. It wouldn't move. Anyone have any tricks to get it off. I have sprayed it down with lots of PB Blaster and WD-40 Rust Penetrator. Thanks.
BHDT.

First and foremost you need to free that pin up and make sure it is going all of the way in not just part way. Soak and soak in your penetrating oil of preference. Work it in and out until it moves easily by hand. Use a pin punch and hammer to make sure its going all of the way in.

Once you are positive the pin is releasing start working on it with a decent size slide hammer while someone holds teh pin down. Be judicous - you don't want to take out any bearings or bust the housing.

If it won't let go soak it some more in penetrating oil and let is set a while before hitting it again with the slide hammer. It might take a while but it will eventually give way.

I have a slide hammer and hooks just like the one below - works wonders,

Dan

1699641183252.png

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Remove the guard, get 2 hammers that are about the same size, and hit both sides of the stuck female spline simultaneously. Balanced forces will not damage bearings, etc.. I use this technique on stubborn pipe unions all the time and have NEVER damaged or cracked a union nut in my career, and all of them came loose.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
If you get tired of it take the ujoint apart and see if you can make/borrow/rent a puller. Picture for concept.
1699644008264.png

A jaw type might work if you can get the jaws behind it

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If you get tired of it take the ujoint apart and see if you can make/borrow/rent a puller. Picture for concept.
View attachment 115804
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

That will pull on the joint only, and not the PTO shaft and the whole tractor.

If that doesn't work I'd very carefully grind off (cut off - linear) the implent driveshaft from the PTO shaft.

I'd guess the push pin is broken and not releasing, or the joint is rusted onto the shaft, or it's spun a bit on the PTO shaft splines because of it's age.

If you take the ujoint apart, maybe spin it with the tractor PTO and see if it's out of center. IF it wobbles, it was the wrong driveline and someone keyed it on there.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Strap to pull
Clamp the pin down
Spray with lube inside an out.
Tap with hammer side to side.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
View attachment 115804
That is the idea I was saying with a bar going thru the assembled joint. It would have to go in the second side or remove the grease fitting and all thread used back to the tractor.
A bearing splitter behind the backside might work if you don't clamp it tight to the spline, again with a pusher bolt both sides,
As u say dis-assembling the joint might be the best way but if you can get the lock pin and spring out too would insure that wasn't hanging up.
edit. I see my flaw would be pulling on the whole shaft same as a strap. This puller against the shaft might be the best if it is stuck hard.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Providing the little pin is free, then either rust or grease on the splines is keeping shaft from coming off. A generous amount of propane heat should help.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
View attachment 115804
That would be awesome if the yoke had bolt-on caps like that. Crosses and caps are a pain in the @$$ to swap out even under the most ideal conditions, let alone trying to beat them apart without damaging anything on the tractor end.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Heat,force and hammering risk making things worse so limit the amount applied. My suspicion is that pin is damaged or shaft and/or coupling is worn enough to allow rotational misalignment and locked. I'd start by removing pin by removing horseshoe clip then pushing pin out along with spring. If coupler still won't come off, wiggle tractor shaft and coupler back and forth in apposing directions to see if there is a few thousandth slack. If there is no "wiggle room" determine which direction pto rotates, lock/secure tractor shaft to prevent it rotating (ground speed pto position if tractor is so equipped,improvised clamp on shaft if not) . With tractor shaft secured to resist rotation,rotate coupler in SAME direction it normal turns during operation. After misalighned binding comes loose the pieces should wiggle when rotated in apposing directions.

I intermixing mm and fractional parts could have lead to excessive wear over time.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
That would be awesome if the yoke had bolt-on caps like that. Crosses and caps are a pain in the @$$ to swap out even under the most ideal conditions, let alone trying to beat them apart without damaging anything on the tractor end.
Just a friendly tip,don't beat cups out,press them out. A vise and large sockets on the bench, cee clamp and sockets while on tractor or implement.