pto protection

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
For a new ( 2013 ) B3200 when brush hogging would I need the over run protector ( not sure that correct name/ term ) placed on my rear PTO to prevent damage to PTO shaft if I hit a large rock ? Or is there an internal slip protection system ?

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
For a new ( 2013 ) B3200 when brush hogging would I need the over run protector ( not sure that correct name/ term ) placed on my rear PTO to prevent damage to PTO shaft if I hit a large rock ? Or is there an internal slip protection system ?
It may vary by the brush hog, but a brush-hog slip version is what I think you are looking for. That is what I have, and it works pretty well versus a lynch-pins version.

Some others may have better details.
HTH

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
2012-10-15_17-53-59_290.jpg
Your brush cutter should have either a shear bolt or slip clutch. Maybe both. My LandPride brush cutter had a shear pin/bolt. My Woods has both a shear bolt and slip clutch.
I believe that an overrun clutch is for older tractors.:)

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
View attachment 10465
Your brush cutter should have either a shear bolt or slip clutch. Maybe both. My LandPride brush cutter had a shear pin/bolt. My Woods has both a shear bolt and slip clutch.
I believe that an overrun clutch is for older tractors.:)
I am sure the brush hog has no overrun on it. Its a old unit, I will look closer to see if I can see a shear pin/bolt. I knew of someone who cracked the tractors PTO/crankshaft when he hit a large rock. He just kept saying if I put a overrun slip coupler on my tractors PTO I still be brush hogging....... instead of repairing.
But I thought I read new tractors have an internal slip system to prevent damage in such scenarios. Thanks to all taking time to write. This forum is as much fun as using my tractor. ( OK....almost )

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I am probably in over my head here, but:
Could you put a slip clutch on the pto shaft at the gear box on cutter.
If you don't have some sort of protection for your pto, a rock, stump or other obstruction will break something expensive internal.:eek:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have hit a ton of rocks etc. with mine over the years and other than creating a lot of dings on the inside and dulling the blades I have done no other damage to mine. The blades are on pivots and just bounce off of objects and swing out of the way. Mine is a JD and has a shear pin where the pto shaft attaches to the gear box. I have never had to change it.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
I am probably in over my head here, but:
Could you put a slip clutch on the pto shaft at the gear box on cutter.
If you don't have some sort of protection for your pto, a rock, stump or other obstruction will break something expensive internal.:eek:

Well you are on track with your thought about protecting the PTO shaft from a sudden forced/jammed stopped. But the location for the protection is by putting the overrun coupler on the tractors PTO, this way all implaments just connect to the coupler. That way one is not needed for each implement. I seen them on old Ford 9n tractors. But I was being told new tractors have a internal slip protection system. I like to get this confirmed. Thanks for replying.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
I have hit a ton of rocks etc. with mine over the years and other than creating a lot of dings on the inside and dulling the blades I have done no other damage to mine. The blades are on pivots and just bounce off of objects and swing out of the way. Mine is a JD and has a shear pin where the pto shaft attaches to the gear box. I have never had to change it.

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience. With my old Ford 9n I did stale it from hitting stumps etc. But never broke anything . Probally because from what you are pointing out.

Last edited:

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
was told by the dealer that there is internal protection on the newer tractors so no external overrun clutch is necessary. A slip clutch basically replaces the shear pin kinda sorta.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
It "seems" some are confusing an over running clutch with a slip clutch.

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/pto.html

While older tractors often needed an external slip clutch, we have them on ours and you can get an external slip clutch to mount on the tractor PTO, I've never heard of an internal slip clutch. A slip clutch requires regular adjustment and it would seem to be prohibitively expensive to design a wet, internal slip clutch.

I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just never seen or heard of one on machines in common use.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Speaking as some what of an expert on resizing rocks I can tell you the blades fold back and rock shards fly everywhere. Heck, at one time I thought about wearing some catchers shin guards on backwards to keep the pieces off the back of my legs.
I added an overrunning clutch on my 640 Ford to keep me from plowing through a fence again when trying to stop. In the older tractors, the shredder spinning will keep the tractor moving. With the overrunning clutch the shredder is free to spin, but will not keep the tractor moving because of the ratchet effect.

Last edited:

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
Speaking as some what of an expert on resizing rocks I can tell you the blades fold back and rock shards fly everywhere. Heck, at one time I thought about wearing some catchers shin guards on backwards to keep the pieces off the back of my legs.
I added an overrunning clutch on my 640 Ford to keep me from plowing through a fence again when trying to stop. In the older tractors, the shredder spinning will keep the tractor moving. With the overrunning clutch the shredder is free to spin, but will not keep the tractor moving because of the ratchet effect.

O yeah, I did all you did with five foot brush hog cutter on the old ford 9n, dam there are lots smaller rocks on my place now lol...... And I had it push me along when I was I neutral, learned real quick make sure I had safe path to go with that dam thing. And I manage to stal it when I did not see that dam tree stump. Well with the price of my new B3200 cannot let that stuff happen. Thanks for taking time to reply. TONY

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
It "seems" some are confusing an over running clutch with a slip clutch.

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/pto.html

While older tractors often needed an external slip clutch, we have them on ours and you can get an external slip clutch to mount on the tractor PTO, I've never heard of an internal slip clutch. A slip clutch requires regular adjustment and it would seem to be prohibitively expensive to design a wet, internal slip clutch.

I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just never seen or oheard of one on machines in common use.

I am getting some input there is a internal protection system to protect the tractor PTO shaft from sudden stop . I will be researching more. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for taking time to reply.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I am getting some input there is a internal protection system to protect the tractor PTO shaft from sudden stop . I will be researching more. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for taking time to reply.
There may well be, but I don't think it is an over running or slip clutch though the newer ones have over running it's a different thing. I will be interested in what you find.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Well you are on track with your thought about protecting the PTO shaft from a sudden forced/jammed stopped. But the location for the protection is by putting the overrun coupler on the tractors PTO, this way all implaments just connect to the coupler. That way one is not needed for each implement. I seen them on old Ford 9n tractors. But I was being told new tractors have a internal slip protection system. I like to get this confirmed. Thanks for replying.
I believe the purpose of a over run clutch and slip clutch are confusing you. Over run clutch does nothing but stops a pto driven implement from pushing a older model tractor that doesn't have independant or live pto.

A slip clutch goes on the implement and will allow the pto shaft to slip if the cutter hits something solid.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
I believe the purpose of a over run clutch and slip clutch are confusing you. Over run clutch does nothing but stops a pto driven implement from pushing a older model tractor that doesn't have independant or live pto.

A slip clutch goes on the implement and will allow the pto

shaft to slip if the cutter hits something solid.
OK, thats clearing things up. Is it possible there is an internal slip. clutch to protect the tractors PTO shaft if a solid object is hit ? Thanks for the help .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
An overrun clutch allows for the PTO to slow without slowing the implement or damaging the PTO.
With the tractor off and the PTO engaged try and twist the PTO on your tractor it should slip or click in one direction.
An overrun saves abuse to the tractors PTO from a sudden shut off of the PTO from the tractor side.
A slip clutch or shear pin will protect the PTO in the tractor from sudden stopping / binding / heavy lag of an implement.
Shear pins are great for sudden obstructions, and slip clutches are better for over loading.