PTO POWER LOSS

Mr Fitz

Equipment
L4150D
Mar 15, 2022
NSW Australia
Hi all from Australia
I was out working on my l4150d to day mowing my paddock and started to loose power,i have recently changed my fuel filters and cleaned my fuel lines, whilst my PTO was engaged i lost power to the point of stall so i disengaged the PTO and started the motor which run fine,when i engaged the PTO I lost power and stalled again (mower was not blocked) i couldnt even drive it with PTO engaged and 3PL raised.when i disengaged the PTO my tractor run fine i put a rake on and worked for the rest of the day.
Has anyone had this issue and what may be the cause
Thank you in advance
Mr Fitz

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Does your tractor's PTO system have an internal brake ??

Quick test, with tractor off, pto off, see it you can freely turn the PTO shaft by hand.
If it doesn't have an internal brake, it should spin freely.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So what you are saying is that the engine runs and "pulls" fine - but as soon as a load is placed on the pto, you loose power.

DID any of this happen BEFORE the fuel line/filter change?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I looked at the drawings.... seems it's a 2 speed PTO. well looks like it to me, 2 sets of gears.....
If so, maybe you're shifting into wrong PTO speed or....'something's' busted and jamming inside.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I would follow GreensvilleJay’s advice.

Also, would want to determine whether the problem is with the tractor or with the mower. With the engine running and pulling normally with the mower removed and PTO not operating that suggests the engine is not the problem although it’s still possible the rake wasn’t creating near the load the mower was putting on it. Now that the mower is off and nothing is attached to the PTO, I suggest run it with the PTO engaged. If it runs normally, that would suggest you have a problem with the mower, not the tractor. If the overload condition continues while running the PTO with nothing attached to it, that indicates the problem is with the tractor.

If the above suggests problems with the mower, my next step would be to try it with a different PTO implement (if you have one). If the tractor runs a different PTO implement normally that would definitively rule out any problem with the tractor.

As it stands now, don’t know if you need to be working on the tractor or the mower.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it acting like you turned the key off when you engage the PTO?

If it is you have a bad or mal adjusted seat switch.

Mr Fitz

Equipment
L4150D
Mar 15, 2022
NSW Australia
So what you are saying is that the engine runs and "pulls" fine - but as soon as a load is placed on the pto, you loose power.

DID any of this happen BEFORE the fuel line/filter change?
Yes that's right every thing was running fine but after about 3 hours work i lost power via the PTO .
when i continued with a land scape rack every thing was fine ,just seem to be bogging down when i engage the PTO

Mr Fitz

Equipment
L4150D
Mar 15, 2022
NSW Australia
I would follow GreensvilleJay’s advice.

Also, would want to determine whether the problem is with the tractor or with the mower. With the engine running and pulling normally with the mower removed and PTO not operating that suggests the engine is not the problem although it’s still possible the rake wasn’t creating near the load the mower was putting on it. Now that the mower is off and nothing is attached to the PTO, I suggest run it with the PTO engaged. If it runs normally, that would suggest you have a problem with the mower, not the tractor. If the overload condition continues while running the PTO with nothing attached to it, that indicates the problem is with the tractor.

If the above suggests problems with the mower, my next step would be to try it with a different PTO implement (if you have one). If the tractor runs a different PTO implement normally that would definitively rule out any problem with the tractor.

As it stands now, don’t know if you need to be working on the tractor or the mower.
Again Thank you, you have given me some good direction to look at so i am now going out to determine if it is tractor or mower, will let you know ether way cheers.

Mr Fitz

Equipment
L4150D
Mar 15, 2022
NSW Australia
Is it acting like you turned the key off when you engage the PTO?

If it is you have a bad or mal adjusted seat switch.
no it just bogs down as though you are pulling something that is to heavy my old girl doesn't have a seat switch to early a model, i have been given a few things to look at so fingers crossed.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
no it just bogs down as though you are pulling something that is to heavy my old girl doesn't have a seat switch to early a model, i have been given a few things to look at so fingers crossed.
Sounds like you may have vines, wire, etc wrapped around the cutter shaft. If you have a stump jumper, that could be hiding it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I didn't even notice what tractor your had, getting used to everyone having newer models.
I have the same era tractor, just a little smaller.
Did you open the jet valve on the side of the injection pump, if that valve is open or not sealing properly it will do exactly what your explaining it's doing.