PTO Issues

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My PTO will not disengage. WTH....I assume the cable is stretched and I tried pushing and pulling on the cable. Nothing would disengage it. I finally parked it. Took a photo of the lever and cable with rubber boot.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Kinda looks a little long, from what I see of the boot. I'd go to the other end of the cable, disconnect it, and see if you can get the lever its attached to, with a wrench, or a big pair of channel locks. If it does shift freely, then order a new cable, and lube it good, before re-installing...:D:D

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The other end of the cable connects to a shaft coming out of the case. The shaft rotates in the case to engage and disengage your PTO. There is a torsion spring around the shaft that turns it to disengage the PTO.The cable only is to Engage the PTO.

Your problem is the shaft is sticking and your torsion spring can not turn it. Spray some penetrating oil around it and turn it with a pair of channel lock pliers or a large screwdriver.

After you have turned it a few times it will free up and work like new. I have run into this several times in the past.

bryanduke

May 4, 2016
US
My last Kubota did that. Lubricate both ends of that cable where it enters into the shielding. I used to just spray wd40 on mine every time I greased the tractor. Then with the tractor shut off, work it until the lubricant gets into the shielding. Mine never did that again after I started lubricating it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I will go after it today after work. That's why I love this forum. Many thanks for all your help.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I sprayed some WD40 down the cable. Then slid under the tractor and was surprised at how short the shaft is that goes into the housing that disengages the PTO. I sprayed that down. Moved the cable back and forth. It started working(engaging and disengaging) right away. Three yrs with my tractor. The first time I've had to do this or knew I had to keep it sprayed.
Again Thanks for the replies.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I sprayed some WD40 down the cable. Then slid under the tractor and was surprised at how short the shaft is that goes into the housing that disengages the PTO. I sprayed that down. Moved the cable back and forth. It started working(engaging and disengaging) right away. Three yrs with my tractor. The first time I've had to do this or knew I had to keep it sprayed.
Again Thanks for the replies.
You will find that wd 40 is not the best, for this type application. I would recommend fluid film, or a spray grease, as wd 40 tends to dry out...:D:D

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
I'm at 200 hours on my L3800 and this exact thing happened while using my pasture cutter yesterday. First time I've had it happen. I'll be spraying the cable as suggested by the OTT guys. Thanks for the input.

Blue Lives Matter!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I posted a link some time back on a way to lubricate cables. It involved a rubber hose to fit over cable shield or outer housing, clamps and a tire valve stem.
Hose on cable and clamped, load hose with favorite lube and install valve stem. Hit with a little air and fluid is forced down cable.careful how much pressure, it dont take much.
Repeat until juice comes out other end.
Lube could be as mentioned above or whatever you choose.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I posted a link some time back on a way to lubricate cables.....
Twas such a good subject it got put into the ULTIMATE STICKY at the top of this forum some time back. Now you can find it anytime you need.