PTO/Clutch 3901

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
Since I bought this tractor every time I go to engage the PTO, there’s been some minor grinding sounds. Today, however, when I went to engage, it sounded like I was trying to grind the clutch out. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I don't want to be insulting but the first question that comes to mind is, are you depressing the clutch (left pedal) before engaging the PTO lever? If you are, then there is an issue with the clutch not releasing the engine from the transmission.

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
Not insulting at all. You don’t know my history of operating tractors, and there are some idiots out there. But yes, I am depressing the clutch fully. There was always a little “clunk” when I engaged the PTO before, but today was the first time it sounded ridiculously bad. Like trying to teach my ex-wife how to drive a stick bad.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
I learned with my old Iseki to disengage clutch and wait several seconds before engaging PTO lever. Employing same habit with my L3301 and have no issues like you describe.

Being that the PTO is controlled by a cable, perhaps yours needs some adjustment or repair. Hopefully no damage done thus far.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
This could be something like a loose flywheel bolt keeping the clutch disc engaged. I have engaged mine hundreds of times and never had a grinding issue. Waiting for someone like NIW to weigh in on this one. Stay tuned.

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
I have had questions about the clutch starting almost when I bought it. Have kept it adjusted to spec. It’s out of warranty now, so I might just pull it into the shop and split it.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have had questions about the clutch starting almost when I bought it. Have kept it adjusted to spec. It’s out of warranty now, so I might just pull it into the shop and split it.

If you do split it, would you be willing to keep us updated on it (hopefully) with pictures? I would be very interested in following your progress along with the other L series owners.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta

Try pushing the clutch pedal when you are driving the tractor ( the hst pedal engaged) does it stop when the clutch is pressed? If it does the clutch is ok, if it does not then the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I have a L3901 and had an issue last summer while mowing brush. I went to disengage the PTO with the clutch but it did not disengage when I shifted the PTO lever with clutch pushed in. The only way I could get it to disengage was to turn off the tractor with the clutch pushed in and then let it wind down before letting the clutch out. I then crawled under the tractor and found that while mowing a stick knocked the tension spring loose so that the PTO lever would not disengage. Once I popped that back on it worked perfectly. Called the dealership to see if there was a piece I broke off in the process because the spring literally sits up against a nut on the frame. Guy at dealership looked under one on the lot and said that is how it is. He said if I had further issue he would creat a part to hold it more securely. Has not happened again.

Also good to idle down and engage PTO and then increase RPMs to desired speed

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
Try pushing the clutch pedal when you are driving the tractor ( the hst pedal engaged) does it stop when the clutch is pressed? If it does the clutch is ok, if it does not then the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel.

The clutch operates as it should. Just always been an issue engaging the PTO.

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
I have a L3901 and had an issue last summer while mowing brush. I went to disengage the PTO with the clutch but it did not disengage when I shifted the PTO lever with clutch pushed in. The only way I could get it to disengage was to turn off the tractor with the clutch pushed in and then let it wind down before letting the clutch out. I then crawled under the tractor and found that while mowing a stick knocked the tension spring loose so that the PTO lever would not disengage. Once I popped that back on it worked perfectly. Called the dealership to see if there was a piece I broke off in the process because the spring literally sits up against a nut on the frame. Guy at dealership looked under one on the lot and said that is how it is. He said if I had further issue he would creat a part to hold it more securely. Has not happened again.

Also good to idle down and engage PTO and then increase RPMs to desired speed

Have always idled down before engaging the PTO because it’s always had a clunk when I pull the PTO lever.

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
Not trying to pull the “they don’t make them like they used to” card, but I’ve never had an issue like this one with my Farmall 806 or JD 3020. Of course it could just be a simple error on my 3901.