Pto belts

grinchsr

Equipment
g5200
Mar 16, 2018
Shelton Ct
Looking for the part number of the matched set of PTO belts on the G5200H with a RC48-G deck. I have been all over Messick's site and can't find it. Can someone also give me the width and length of the belts so maybe I can find them locally.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Looking for the part number of the matched set of PTO belts on the G5200H with a RC48-G deck. I have been all over Messick's site and can't find it. Can someone also give me the width and length of the belts so maybe I can find them locally.
It is a 5/8" belt 32 1/2" long Use a Kevlar belt unless you really enjoy the job of replacing them!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
V belt manufacturers assign two numbers to their products.

One number is their own internal number. The second is an industry wide generic number such as BP 158

The key, as eserv advised, is the P. There are B 158 belts and then there are BP 158 belts. The P is the kevlar designation. Both are the same length of 158" measured around the outside.

A BP 158 will be the same whether made by Dayco, Gates, Carlisle or others.

The B is the designation for Belt width at the top of the V and I believe B is for 5/8" within 1/32"

The number such as 158 is the outside length of the belt so a BP 158 belt will have an outside circumference 158" long.

From Gates web site. They deal with the designation P buy calling the product Predator

Predator® Belts

Specifically designed for aggressive applications, this extra heavy-duty belt construction provides extraordinary high impact strength, capacity, and wear resistance.

Aramid Tensile Cords combine limited stretch with extraordinary strength and durability that is pound-for-pound stronger than steel.
Bareback Cover resists debris and allows the belt to slip under extreme shock load conditions, reducing heat buildup and prolonging belt life.
Gates Curves provide proper cord support and full contact with the sheave-groove for equal loading, uniform wear, and increased belt life.

Here are some ebay links to give you an idea of how cheap these belts can be.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-D-PowerD...024342?hash=item1c7e0f6c96:g:qQAAAOSw8UZaFIuq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayco-BP32...ash=item4660f600b0:g:zssAAOxy69JTD4X7&vxp=mtr

Eserv ( whose advice should always be given great weight) gave a dimension of 32.5 but I don't know if it is the inside or outside circumference.

These youtube videos show you ways to determine the length of your belt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYLYrw0gUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEk5UFyN94

You also have a two belt drive. There was a time when manufacturing tolerances were not like they are today and belts needed to be a matched set in order to properly share the load.

Today this seems to have been resolved.
Matching / Multi-Belt Drives:

Part of the V80 Matching System - Gates Hi-Power II B158 v-belts can be used individually in a single vbelt drive or can be used in sets of 2 or more belts for higher horsepower applications. All belts in a multiple belt drive must be within a certain length tolerance in order for the belts to work together to provide the full design horsepower. In the past, manufacturing tolerances were wider and each belt was assigned a match number that indicated its exact length within the manufacturing tolerance. Gates invested heavily to reduce manufacturing tolerances. The result was the V80 matching system that ensures that every B158 belt can be used in a matched set, regardless of batch or lot.

There may be considerations in your application I have not considered. If so, hopefully someone will point them out.

You do not need to spend a lot of money for a belt to get a quality product.

Just replace the belts in pairs. Don't use a new belt with an old belt as the load sharing will not be equal

Dave

Last edited: