Propane Tank install with MX5400

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN
Just depends on where you live as to how long the anode will last. I looked at your profile, and all it says is "From USA" which is a rather broad area, about 6% of the world's land mass.
Just curious - how many years before your buried tank and all piping will need to be inspected and recertified ?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Just my thoughts here. First you should check with your state / local authority to find out if there are requirements for how often that anode should be tested. The propane companies I am familiar with here in CT check it at ~ 6 months after initial install. After that its from 1 to 3 year frequency. I don't know what the state requires.

As far as concern for the tank 'submarining' goes, underground oil (pretty much a thing of the past residentially) and propane tanks installed in wet areas would require a concrete base under the tank with straps over the tank to hold it down.

Propane is usually very safe but its nothing to take chances with.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just curious - how many years before your buried tank and all piping will need to be inspected and recertified ?
I don't own any buried tanks, but I did rent a property that had a buried tank, and that tank was just 3 years old when they dug up the anode and replace it. They don't dig up the line nor do they recertify the tank. They just replaced the anode.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Hey folks,
Besides brush hogging and moving rocks/tires/trees around (all three seem to grow...) I needed to finally do a different project... install a below ground 500 gallon propane tank! Here are some pictures and a short video I made using my MX5400 to dig the hole, trench, and backfill. Have to give a shoutout to OTT, lurked on the forums for a while to help with maintenance and operational questions so trying to provide some content to give back.

Video:

Hole complete. Hit solid rock at 4' 10". Needed to be 5' total but the installer said get a load of sand and we should be good.
View attachment 93035
Where the tractor go?
View attachment 93036
Trench
View attachment 93040
Tank in with some sand
View attachment 93039
All sand in
View attachment 93038
Mostly covered
View attachment 93037
totally covered
View attachment 93034

Cheers!
Eric
Good job sir and great video.

I have dug many holes like that with the tractor, best to have a box blade with weights or any rear implement for extra weight, what the ol timers have told me and taught me, 'spinnin (tires) ain't winnin...'

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Job well done! I think you put the "tools" you had on hand to great use to accomplish your goal. Would a backhoe or mini excavator have been quicker and more efficient ? Sure! But in my case and perhaps yours , a lot of the satisfaction of owing tractors is doing the job with what we have.

Yep. There are some things our smaller tractors simply cannot do, but there are a lot of "too big" jobs that they can do, if you have the time.

Reactions: 1 user