Propane for Generac

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
All the comments are based on Generac. Would the information change if the generator was the same size but not a Gen
Most propane generators use about the same amount of fuel to produce the same amount of current. The only difference is if the engine/generator set uses 1800 RPM or 3600 RPM to produce the current. The higher-speed generators will use more fuel to produce the same amount of current.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had a propane generator and gave it away and replaced it with a 4-cylinder diesel Lister Petter 18KW generator. It uses about 3/4 gallon at 100% capacity, which it never gets to. Most of the time it is running at 1800 RPM at 50% service. It is hooked to an automatic transfer switch and has a 30-gallon tank mounted under the unit. We use propane for cooking, and a hot water boiler, and nothing more. I hate dealing with the propane dealer because they are always looking for ways to add to the bill. Last year they added an environmental compliance fee of $14 to each delivery. I told them that they had a choice to either remove it or take their tanks out. They removed the fee. It is very distasteful to have to constantly monitor your suppliers for unethical billing. A couple of years ago they tried to add a sales tax to the bill, but the state doesn't tax propane used for domestic use. If I wasn't so old, I would switch to an all-electric home and go with geothermal heating and cooling. Not enough years left to make it worthwhile now.
There is absolutely nothing in the mechanical world more efficient, simple, and reliable, than a Lister Petter diesel.
They are well known, and highly respected throughout the world.
In the USA,..... Lister Petter is basically an unknown!

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Most propane generators use about the same amount of fuel to produce the same amount of current. The only difference is if the engine/generator set uses 1800 RPM or 3600 RPM to produce the current. The higher-speed generators will use more fuel to produce the same amount of current.
Dusty, there was a bit of sarcasm in the question. We have a Kohler! ;)