Problems with m5-091

liftedpsd2010

Dec 17, 2018
Lake Wales
I’ve got a m5-091 cab tractor and it’s got about 220 hours on it. Since September it has only had 11 hours put on it. In September we got a check engine light and dealer replaced the harness and a relay. Fast forward to a few weeks ago I used it and got a code again. Another relay replaced. Put 1 hour in it and got a def fluid contamination code. They said the header unit was bad. Luckily i found another dealer with one in stock.
Got it fixed Friday and should be able to put some hours on it Thursday. Is this going to be the norm? Might end up getting the extended warranty on it. It’s used for mowing, disc, and roto tilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. You came to the right place to get answers.

Yes, I would definitely want the extended warranty.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
DEF issue with one I was under an hour or so ago....

I get the feeling that it will be somewhat "common" based on what I am reading. The DEF system on a tractor is just wrong. Any DEF system is just wrong on a tractor. Tractors commonly SIT. DEF goes bad, and it's somewhat dependent on temperature as to how fast it goes bad.

Yes on the extended warranty....

liftedpsd2010

Dec 17, 2018
Lake Wales
Thanks for the quick replies. I am in central Florida. I use it as much as I can. That’s one of my many jobs. Lol. Is there a drain on the def fluid? This emissions stuff is down right insane on a tractor. I’m going to see about the warranty any ideas on the price?

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
Yes, there is a drain on the def tank. Def has an expiration date, so go by it. Now, I will only fill the tank to maybe a 1/4 full.

liftedpsd2010

Dec 17, 2018
Lake Wales
Yes, there is a drain on the def tank. Def has an expiration date, so go by it. Now, I will only fill the tank to maybe a 1/4 full.

Thanks I’ll try that. I’ll run this tank out and start putting just enough to get by. I appreciate it. I hope this thing doesn’t give me issues for the rest of its life.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Is it better to keep the DEF tank full and keep the air and humidity out?
Just wondering if you keep the tank less than half full are you more likely to start building crystals on the sides of the tank where the air is more likely to speed up the evaporation process and crystallization?

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
I kept mine full and it crystallized. def has an expiration date. I don't have a large farm. I bought mine to cut mowing time in half. It sits alot so the def gets old. I plan to use some of what goes in the truck for the tractor.

In 3 years I didn't use the tank plus the 2.5 gal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

liftedpsd2010

Dec 17, 2018
Lake Wales
I kept mine full and it crystallized. def has an expiration date. I don't have a large farm. I bought mine to cut mowing time in half. It sits alot so the def gets old. I plan to use some of what goes in the truck for the tractor.

In 3 years I didn't use the tank plus the 2.5 gal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I plan on keeping it basically empty from now on. I’ve put about 220 hours on it in a year. Couldn’t really ride it much since September since it’s been broken on and off. I plan on starting back tomorrow and will be doing 10-15 hours a week until I can get everything done.

liftedpsd2010

Dec 17, 2018
Lake Wales
Here’s what I am doing with the tractor. I marked off the areas I work it. I now, roto till and disc those two areas. I want to say it’s about 40 acres or so.