Preventing water intrusion into fuel?

waltgary

Equipment
B2601 + U27-4. Asst implements
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Hi. I have a B2601 and use it to snowblow large areas here in NE MN. When in use there is a veritable blizzard of snow dust engulfing the machine for hours. I use only #1 fuel w/added antigel, keep the tank topped off after nearly every use (prevent tank condensation) and finally fasten a sock securely over the fuel cap. I'm not even certain that the cap has the air return for the fuel level reduction?
In spite of this I've recently had fuel/water issues. My question, as in the post title is what can I do further to prevent future water intrusion into the fuel?
Thank you in advance.
Gary

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi. I have a B2601 and use it to snowblow large areas here in NE MN. When in use there is a veritable blizzard of snow dust engulfing the machine for hours. I use only #1 fuel w/added antigel, keep the tank topped off after nearly every use (prevent tank condensation) and finally fasten a sock securely over the fuel cap. I'm not even certain that the cap has the air return for the fuel level reduction?
In spite of this I've recently had fuel/water issues. My question, as in the post title is what can I do further to prevent future water intrusion into the fuel?
Thank you in advance.
Gary
Can you re-direct the blower chute or add to it so the snow dust blows away from you?

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Not very realistically. Wind blows it all over so it is a constant redirection issue.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Put a breathable cloth over the top of the fuel cap. I am inclined to believe that it is how much fuel is in your fuel tank when you put the tractor away is the real problem. The fuel is warm and draws moist air in as it cools. You might try keeping your fuel out in the cold and filling the tank after you use the tractor. That way, moisture can't accumulate on the inside of the tank. You could also use a piece of thin plastic sheeting, such as a painter's tarp, put it over the fuel filler, and then screw the cap down over the plastic.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Can you any additives to absorb the water, as done for gas engines??
How about adding a real, water trap filter unit ?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I would agree with DustyRusty that your water issue may be more from condensation happening within the tank. But your fuel cap needs to breathe? Instead of screwing down plastic between the filler neck and cap.......you might try taping a somewhat larger and loose piece over and around the filler cap. Then it can breathe in air from underneath the hood and withing the engine compartment. At least that's an option, as well as the water filter Jay mentioned. Still, betting condensation in a less full tank after shutdown if left that way is your worst enemy.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I recommended covering the underside of the fuel cap, I meant that for only while the tractor was in storage. I used to shut off the vent to my underground heating oil storage tank as soon as the heating season was over, to keep moisture out of the tank. Winter air is mostly dry, except when it is snowing or raining. Then the moisture content goes up somewhat and that moisture condenses inside of the tank. Metal tanks are worse for this than plastic tanks, but they all capture moisture.

Reactions: 1 user

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Sorry, I'm missing something here. Why are you getting so much water in your fuel to start with??? Also, why run #1 diesel? It has less of the lubricating qualities that your fuel system needs! #1 is primarily designed for jet engines, not diesel engines.
I ran literally a million miles driving big rigs in and around your neck of the woods and NEVER had a water in fuel issue.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Thank you in advance.
Gary
It sounds like you are doing everything you can on the tractor fuel system. What about your fuel storage? How about your supplier? Using straight #1, I'd question if it has an additive package like over the road diesel has.

Reactions: 1 user

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
It sounds like you are doing everything you can on the tractor fuel system. What about your fuel storage? How about your supplier? Using straight #1, I'd question if it has an additive package like over the road diesel has.
I've had a thin synthetic sock secured over the fuel cap to deter water/snow intrusion as the fuel level drops but that only does so much. Today I picked up a pack of thicker all cotton socks and hoping they'll trap a bit better.
As for tank condensation, I refill the tractor (nearly) every time I use it for that exact reason. It'd be better if it had a flexible fuel bladder like my Prius does but I don't forsee that happening soon. Finally the #1 vs #2 fuel/antigel point. I'm simply going to have to research that further as my ignorance is on display here (e.g. #1 costs more so must be better). Any info on that topic is appreciated but I will also do my due diligence.
Again, thanks to all

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
I've had a thin synthetic sock secured over the fuel cap to deter water/snow intrusion as the fuel level drops but that only does so much. Today I picked up a pack of thicker all cotton socks and hoping they'll trap a bit better.
As for tank condensation, I refill the tractor (nearly) every time I use it for that exact reason. It'd be better if it had a flexible fuel bladder like my Prius does but I don't forsee that happening soon. Finally the #1 vs #2 fuel/antigel point. I'm simply going to have to research that further as my ignorance is on display here (e.g. #1 costs more so must be better). Any info on that topic is appreciated but I will also do my due diligence.
Again, thanks to all
PS Fuel storage is a non issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Water getting in through the vent on the tank should be a NON issue if it was an issue they would have designed a system like a Desiccant canaster to eliminate that issue.

How much water are you getting in the separator?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I really question whether it is water and not wax gel or globs (but these very less likely if you're using #1). Per Wolfman, how much are you getting in the separator?

I'd take a towel and stuff it down around the fuel filler cap. Air can still get through the towel to keep from sucking the tank in. This is if you're absolutely sure it is water. Never ever had water in diesel fuel. I've always used #2 (which is mixed with #1 in the winter by suppliers).

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
When fueling up about 3 weeks ago at the corner station, a clump of snow fell into my fuel tank! The clump must've been somewhere above the nozzle, and I didn't see it until it fell. It sat before my amazed eyes for an instant between the nozzle and the rim of the tank opening. The clump was about 2/3 the size of a fifty cent piece, I'd say.

How big a problem do I have!?

I was and am using Hot Shot's winter anti-gell, which I think has water dispersers too. I have filled up twice since then. No problems with running. I use highway diesel because they sell a lot of that at this station but seem to move comparatively little off-road diesel.

My tractor has about 85 hours and I have not changed the fuel filter yet. Filter looks good, per a Kubota technician who was here helping fix a loader issue.

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Ok, so I swapped out the fuel filter and problem solved. Blew snow today with two heavy cotton socks over the fuel cap and per usual, topped off deisel when done. Planning in the future to remove the fuel filter/water trap each fall and dump it out to remove any water before winter. Not sure what else I can do. Thanks to all for the thoughts. Gary

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
When fueling up about 3 weeks ago at the corner station, a clump of snow fell into my fuel tank! The clump must've been somewhere above the nozzle, and I didn't see it until it fell. It sat before my amazed eyes for an instant between the nozzle and the rim of the tank opening. The clump was about 2/3 the size of a fifty cent piece, I'd say.

How big a problem do I have!?

I was and am using Hot Shot's winter anti-gell, which I think has water dispersers too. I have filled up twice since then. No problems with running. I use highway diesel because they sell a lot of that at this station but seem to move comparatively little off-road diesel.

My tractor has about 85 hours and I have not changed the fuel filter yet. Filter looks good, per a Kubota technician who was here helping fix a loader issue.
I would worry about that much. Drain some liquid out of your filter and/or water separator into a clear jar, let it set for a while and look for a layer of water on the bottom of the jar.

Reactions: 1 users

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Well, I'm no sage but here's what little I know. #1 is less viscous (less prone to gel in low temps), contains fewer BTU's per unit, some claim better lubricant properties (skeptical point here as it's a lighter fuel) and costs more. Far more differences but that's my $0.02
Gary

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
OK, I'm curious....
what's the difference between #1, #2 and 'gas station Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel' ?
My wife is a Chemist for a major oil refinery specializing in diesel and jet fuels and I spent 38 years and over 4 million miles driving diesel big rigs.
#1 diesel is designed primarily for jet engines and has less particulant matter in it, has a lower gelling point, has less lubricating qualities and costs more.
#2 diesel is designed for internal combustion engines, can have more particulants, higher lubricating qualities, gelling at a higher temps and costs less.

Reactions: 2 users