Power steering L2900DT

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
My steering cylinder went out yesterday so now its in need of a rebuild. Does it drop out the bottom of the tractor or do I have to remove the battery and radiator assembly to get access to it from the top side? I really need to order myself a shop manual for this tractor. Thanks for any help and tips getting this cylinder out.

Kenonf

Equipment
B7100 hst, l4200dt,b2920
Oct 22, 2019
Florida
On my l4200 DT I believe you can access the hoses from inside the engine compartment and underneath the tractor. I don't remember removing the radiator or front axle when I did mine. Don't think i removed the radiator either, did that later after a battery leaked acid on the battery tray and included hardware.

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
On my l4200 DT I believe you can access the hoses from inside the engine compartment and underneath the tractor. I don't remember removing the radiator or front axle when I did mine. Don't think i removed the radiator either, did that later after a battery leaked acid on the battery tray and included hardware.

Thanks Kenonf, the lines don’t look like they will be a problem to get off but I was wondering about the pins that hold the steering cylinder on. I see the locking plates that hold them in but was wondering which direction to knock them out. I took the tie rods off last night and plan to take the lines off tonight when I get home after I pick up some caps so I don’t loose much fluid. That stuff is getting expensive like everything else so I’m trying to save as much as I can.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Thanks Kenonf, the lines don’t look like they will be a problem to get off but I was wondering about the pins that hold the steering cylinder on. I see the locking plates that hold them in but was wondering which direction to knock them out.
I'm assuming that it wouldn't matter which direction to knock out. I suspect the pin hasn't a taper and the locking plates are on top for convenience and to keep the pin from rotating.
Thoughts anyone??

Kenonf

Equipment
B7100 hst, l4200dt,b2920
Oct 22, 2019
Florida
Correct on the pin, let gravity be your friend. While in there replace the boots/dust covers as needed, since you are there. I think it has only one plate on the pin. had a photo copy of the WSM manual page there on the workbench with me in case I spilled oil all over the place.
Don't remember anything special about the operation, not like how I remember replacing the bearings and seals on the front axels.

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
Finally got the cylinder off and rebuilt. I also figured out that my tractor is older than the one in the parts illustrations. I was missing a zerk fitting on the pin in the bell crank assembly. I can see why there was a redesign of this part. This pin and bushings were the only ones showing wear. The pin was kinda pricey. So I drilled mine and replaced the bushings since the pin didn’t show any wear when I measured it. I managed to get it back together and mowed the pastures before the hurricane dumped 7 inches of water on us.