Power steering comes and goes L3830

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
Hello

I have a L3830 I bought used about 18 months ago with 600 Hours it now has 968 Hours . The FEL power is strong . I replaced the Suction line a few months ago when it first acted up . This even while bush hogging The Power Steering Failed completely than came back and repeated this several times .
In general it is usually stiffer than it should be but will have moments of normal mixed in . I have totally drained and replaced the fluid with Super UDT
And new Spin on Filter. Any ideas ? I can turn the wheel to lock either direction and if I push firmly the wheel will continue to turn , I don’t know if that means anything or not . Thank you for Information to a annoying issue .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
L3830 what? HST, GST, DT, F, ?

The steering controller is a hydrostatic controller, it's 100% normal for the wheel to keep turning after it hits the end of the stroke of the steering cylinder.
The steering is run by a different pump section than the FEL pump, so the FEL section could be perfectly fine where the PS section could be having issues.
The fact that its going in and out sounds like it could be a bad controller, but they are rare to fail, other options would be a bad cylinder seal, or a bad regulator valve.

I might be able to give you more things to check after you give me the type. ;)

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
L3830 what? HST, GST, DT, F, ?

The steering controller is a hydrostatic controller, it's 100% normal for the wheel to keep turning after it hits the end of the stroke of the steering cylinder.
The steering is run by a different pump section than the FEL pump, so the FEL section could be perfectly fine where the PS section could be having issues.
The fact that its going in and out sounds like it could be a bad controller, but they are rare to fail, other options would be a bad cylinder seal, or a bad regulator valve.

I might be able to give you more things to check after you give me the type. ;)
Sorry man it is a GST it has R4 Tires , Air pressure is 50psi in front , no water of extra weight on front of Tractor .

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
I have done some research and the controller seems the culprit but at a Grand I need a way to be more sure . I usually fix things myself if it is a bolt on part .
It is too much cash for me to guess and the fact that you stated it is Rare to fail
Makes me more unsure . Help me trouble shoot . It seemed to help after the suction hose but it may have been in my head or it was just messing with me.
I did find out about 3 month after I purchased it that the right front tire only was foam filled which in turn made the right super heavy, I assume u are fimalar
With this flat free practice . I was not happy , that’s a lot of weight and one sided
Jacked up and took a saw Zaw and cut the tire off the rim . I put on two new 12 ply R4 tires . It makes me wander if the P.O. ran it like this very long if the controller had a hard time with the estimated 100 pound difference in weight

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it shift perfectly or is there any issues in the way it shifts?
If there is it could be a pressure regulator issue.
If no issues with shifting, jack up the front so both tires are off the ground, and with the tractor at low idle, turn the wheel back and forth, if it still feels catchy then it's the controller.
If it feels free to move side to side it could still be the controller but more likely the seal on the cylinder is leaking.
To test that, you can remove one line off of the cylinder attach it into a bucket to catch fluid, and also have the bucket under the cylinder, turn the wheel towards the side with the line off slowly then when the cylinder reaches the end turn farther and see if fluid is still coming out of the cylinder if it is, it's leaking and needs resealed.
Do this to both sides, reinstalling the other line first.
Do not turn the wheel the other direction while one line is off or you will have a mess. :p

Last edited:

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
This sounds like great trouble shooting stuff . I can try when I get the tractor back home thanks I will post back but will be next week because everyday this week is maxed out. It will be a relief to just pinpoint the issue so I can get it fixed . Thank you Sir

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
Ok late this evening I had a few minutes and drove over to where Tractor was .
I lifted front of machine with the bucket . When I turned the wheel back and forth with my pointer finger it was almost too hard too do without hurting my finger and it was somewhat rough and nochy feeling compared to my JD Lawn Tractor with power steering. I will perform the hose test when I get more time
Hopefully Saturday evening maybe.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok late this evening I had a few minutes and drove over to where Tractor was .
I lifted front of machine with the bucket . When I turned the wheel back and forth with my pointer finger it was almost too hard too do without hurting my finger and it was somewhat rough and nochy feeling compared to my JD Lawn Tractor with power steering. I will perform the hose test when I get more time
Hopefully Saturday evening maybe.
Don't bother doing the hose test, it's the controller not the steering cylinder. :(

Check this out:
https://www.eastern-triangle.com/hy...orbital-td030-37000-kubota-tractor-controller

Or find a local hydraulic shop to see if they can test and rebuild it.

Last edited: