Power Loss

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Going on my 5th year with my M6800, and notice something seems different this year with the power. It’s having trouble pulling hills that had no trouble with years previous. Even when mowing hay with disc mower and turn a curve and start up a slight incline it will stall and I have to shift down. It doesn’t seem to be a fuel problem and it never even acts like it wants to die. Thoughts? I keep hearing some talk about being a clutch issue and splitting the tractor. Any like experiences and fixes for this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Well, there's how much power the engine is developing, and there's how much power is being delivered to the wheels. The clutch could affect the delivery, but I'd want to check the engine out pretty carefully before I spilt the tractor.

I'm assuming you've checked the basic things like air and fuel filters. What's making you say it's not fuel?

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Well, there's how much power the engine is developing, and there's how much power is being delivered to the wheels. The clutch could affect the delivery, but I'd want to check the engine out pretty carefully before I spilt the tractor.

I'm assuming you've checked the basic things like air and fuel filters. What's making you say it's not fuel?
Well I’m not 100% sure it’s not the fuel. The air filter seems fine going by looks and I’ve had fuel problems before and it just not behaving the same, last time it was dying but definitely will put a new gas filter on. My last fuel problem the fuel level in the separator was fluctuating up and down and I’ve not noticed that this time - but it is hard to watch while you are operating it. :) Just wondered what other things to look for or it could be. But eliminating basic things is definitely the way to go. Thanks

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Well I’m not 100% sure it’s not the fuel. The air filter seems fine going by looks
Looks can be deceiving. Blow that sucker out!

and I’ve had fuel problems before and it just not behaving the same, last time it was dying but definitely will put a new gas filter on.
Might want to try a diesel filter. ;)

My last fuel problem the fuel level in the separator was fluctuating up and down and I’ve not noticed that this time - but it is hard to watch while you are operating it. :)
😁

Just wondered what other things to look for or it could be.
There are a few reasons you could have fuel starvation. Just off the top of my head....

• Failing lift pump.
  • Failing injection pump.
  • Debris in fuel tank. (This one is aggravating! Hard to diagnose and hard to cure. Lots of threads here on it.)
  • Clogged vent in fuel tank.
  • Air leak in fuel line.

Any of these could be gradual or intermittent.

But eliminating basic things is definitely the way to go.
Always! (y)

Sharpie

Jun 25, 2022
Wayne Co. MS
I had fuel starvation on my tractor a couple of times. One time it was diesel algae slime that was blocking the suction screen in the tank. That required me to remove the tank and wash it out. I keep biocide and tank cleaner in my fuel now.
The second time I had field starvation was after I reinstalled the fuel tank. The fuel supply line had a kink in it. I used one of the little white Teflon tape spools to wrap the fuel line around where the kink was located. I zip tied it to the spool. The spool kept the line from kinking.

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Going on my 5th year with my M6800, and notice something seems different this year with the power. It’s having trouble pulling hills that had no trouble with years previous. Even when mowing hay with disc mower and turn a curve and start up a slight incline it will stall and I have to shift down. It doesn’t seem to be a fuel problem and it never even acts like it wants to die. Thoughts? I keep hearing some talk about being a clutch issue and splitting the tractor. Any like experiences and fixes for this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Having a similar problum with my L3130 bin through intire fuel sys. "3" times /tank out & cleaned/ all new fuel lines/installed a electric fuel pump /changed injectots /still have problum ( EXACT AS YOU DISCRIBE ) Im narrowed it down to H S T or Transmission (Thats s>>ks ) Trip to a dealer for me /Hay Keep me posted on your progress maby you find a cheep fix ( fingers "X")

Reactions: 1 user

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Looks can be deceiving. Blow that sucker out!

Might want to try a diesel filter. ;)

😁

There are a few reasons you could have fuel starvation. Just off the top of my head....

• Failing lift pump.
  • Failing injection pump.
  • Debris in fuel tank. (This one is aggravating! Hard to diagnose and hard to cure. Lots of threads here on it.)
  • Clogged vent in fuel tank.
  • Air leak in fuel line.

Any of these could be gradual or intermittent.

Always! (y)
I do blow the filter out often.
Gas filter is Kubota.
There is no engine sound reduction when the wheels stall. And when I increase the fuel the engine sound increases just as expected and can feel the wheels trying to go forward. Of course not ruled out fuel altogether yet will try new filter first and see what happens. As is the case finding the issue can be time consuming for a novice you tube mechanic like me…..but willing to try. Thanks for the reply. Stay tuned.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Which type reverser(Synchro or hyd)? If synchronized does clutch pedal free travel have at least 1''? If hyd reverser I suggest to check reverser hyd pressure.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Which type reverser(Synchro or hyd)? If synchronized does clutch pedal free travel have at least 1''? If hyd reverser I suggest to check reverser hyd pressure.
8 fwd & 8 reverse fully synchronized main and shuttle transmission. Free travel? I would say is zero. I’ve always thought the clutch was tight since I bought it. At first operation I would get cramps at night. Was given a wrong gas filter today so that is still on the “to do” list. But I had already removed the old filter before I noticed so had to go through the bleeding process. Tested it again w/o an implement attached - low grade hill in high first gear - stalled. Keep plugin!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's a fuel filter... not a gas filter.....
So ground speed is stopping, not the engine?

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
It's a fuel filter... not a gas filter.....
So ground speed is stopping, not the engine?
Correct - fuel filter!
the engine sound doesn’t drop any - is constant - just wheel speed comes to a halt. If I get the rpm up high enough in some cases the wheels will start slowly turning and eventually take off ( in some less inclined places). Again - nothing is attached. Definitely not normal. I’ll be surprised if a new fuel filter takes care of it but I sure hope I’m surprised!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Correct - fuel filter!
the engine sound doesn’t drop any - is constant - just wheel speed comes to a halt. If I get the rpm up high enough in some cases the wheels will start slowly turning and eventually take off ( in some less inclined places). Again - nothing is attached. Definitely not normal. I’ll be surprised if a new fuel filter takes care of it but I sure hope I’m surprised!
If your clutch pedal free travel is 0", adjust the free travel to 1." and try driving it again.

Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If your clutch pedal free travel is 0", adjust the free travel to 1." and try driving it again.
If its a hydraulic shuttle the "clutch" pedal is just connected to a valve to regulate the hydraulic pressure to the shuttle clutch packs. I don't know if there is any sort of free play adjustment for it. If it's a manual shuttle then yep... time for a clutch adjustment.

Grassandstuff

Equipment
Kubota MX5100 Woods 9180rd2 bat wing finish mower
May 27, 2022
hahahaha#1
Recently chased everything big around a power loss going up slight hills, mx5100hst, pulling 15 ft batwing. Even though fuel filter looked clean and flowing great, replaced. Immediately my ole horse came back to life.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Well, well, well, appears I maybe back in business with the free play clutch adjustment. Not mechanical savvy enough to explain it but the operators manual showed the adjustment under the cab and the WSM showed the adjustment in the cab - I chose to adjust it under the cab. Had to back it off quite a bit to get to close to 1.5 inches. Pulled the gradual hill and steep hill just fine in high first gear - it would not pull either before. Now to try it with an implement attached. Not sure if there’s any minuses to look for with the adjustment. Thanks to all for all the input and for any suggestions going forward. Not sure why it acted up now after zero free play for multiple years. Thanks again!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If its a hydraulic shuttle the "clutch" pedal is just connected to a valve to regulate the hydraulic pressure to the shuttle clutch packs. I don't know if there is any sort of free play adjustment for it. If it's a manual shuttle then yep... time for a clutch adjustment.
I would not have responded if I did not know what I was talking about. See attachment...

Attachments

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
I would not have responded if I did not know what I was talking about. See attachment...
All input much appreciated! :) Thanks! I’m not sure I done it 100% by the book as I only made one adjustment under the cab may need to go back and do the other checks. But what I did do made a huge difference. Thanks again!

Last edited:

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Especially since you have had fuel troubles before, I would start at the tank and work back. I have seen it twice where trash was up in a fuel line where you could not see it and it would not blow out. Drop the tank, thoroughly clean it out. Fuel line is cheap so replace ALL of them, including the clamps. Replace the fuel and separator filters. Split the old fuel lines and look for contaminations. Run a good dose of Power Diesel Services algaecide or similar for a few tanks. I run a light does in every tank.
It is a frustrating, power robbing problem that really can't be fixed half-assed.

Reactions: 2 users

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Especially since you have had fuel troubles before, I would start at the tank and work back. I have seen it twice where trash was up in a fuel line where you could not see it and it would not blow out. Drop the tank, thoroughly clean it out. Fuel line is cheap so replace ALL of them, including the clamps. Replace the fuel and separator filters. Split the old fuel lines and look for contaminations. Run a good dose of Power Diesel Services algaecide or similar for a few tanks. I run a light does in every tank.
It is a frustrating, power robbing problem that really can't be fixed half-assed.
I will go ahead and change the filter and will begin to add some additives as precautionary. The experience I had with fuel was it was dying under a load and the water separator level would fluctuate as it couldn’t get it from the tank fast enough. Turned out to be a simple fix - the fuel went to the separator from the tank and before the fuel filter. There’s a shutoff valve at the separator - with a 90 elbow feeding it. Pulled the shutoff valve off that is held by one small screw and at the elbow behind the shutoff was a wad of grass. Took care of it. Thanks for the advice!

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I will go ahead and change the filter and will begin to add some additives as precautionary. The experience I had with fuel was it was dying under a load and the water separator level would fluctuate as it couldn’t get it from the tank fast enough. Turned out to be a simple fix - the fuel went to the separator from the tank and before the fuel filter. There’s a shutoff valve at the separator - with a 90 elbow feeding it. Pulled the shutoff valve off that is held by one small screw and at the elbow behind the shutoff was a wad of grass. Took care of it. Thanks for the advice!
Have you checked the fuel tank vent lines? Really common for dirt to stop them up causing similar symptoms.