Posthole Conundrum

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Dug a whole bunch of really nice 9" x 4' holes for the llama corral today.

Problem is they have to be a full 4' deep and a regular hand porthole digger will not close enough to hold the dry loose dirt.

The wife is threatening to getting my shop vac and have me string 500' of extension cord.

Any ideas on how to save my shop vac and get me out of just saying "Yes Dear " for the next few days ?

E/S

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
E/S, did you try pouring a small amount of water in the hole? I've done that before and using the tractor mounted digger, the wet dirt would stick on the bottom of the auger and leave a pretty clean hole. I also remember seeing a special post hole digger that had the hinge a lot higher on the handles, but where, I have no idea. Let us know how it works out for you.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Know what I would do . I would get a tamping stick and hit the bottom of post hole until it was solid again then she would think you really worked hard cleaning the dirt out.:) Then tell her all that cleaning was real hard work.handy

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Know what I would do . I would get a tamping stick and hit the bottom of post hole until it was solid again then she would think you really worked hard cleaning the dirt out.:) Then tell her all that cleaning was real hard work.handy
Only one problem with that, we are doing this project together!

E/S

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will dig out the generator and try the shop vac.

If it works, the wife was right and I win !
If it doesn't work, I tried her way and I still win ( I hope )!

E/S

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will dig out the generator and try the shop vac.

If it works, the wife was right and I win !
If it doesn't work, I tried her way and I still win ( I hope )!

E/S
A joint project, shop vac, and a man that thinks he's going to win no matter if the wife is right or not.

I hope this works out for you but it sounds like this situation has disaster writen all over it.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
A joint project, shop vac, and a man that thinks he's going to win no matter if the wife is right or not.

I hope this works out for you but it sounds like this situation has disaster writen all over it.
I am trying to look at the bright side, that and I get real tired of saying Yes Dear day after day after day.

E/S

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I'm just wondering, why so deep? Even 3 foot in the ground is pretty deep and as deep as I go, when tamped in, they are solid as a rock.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm just wondering, why so deep? Even 3 foot in the ground is pretty deep and as deep as I go, when tamped in, they are solid as a rock.
I did that 10+ years ago and had all the corners lift on 40 acre's of fence.
I am getting too old for doing the same thing over and over.

E/S

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I did that 10+ years ago and had all the corners lift on 40 acre's of fence.
I am getting too old for doing the same thing over and over.

E/S
Were the corners braced? I guess you may have softer soil than we have in the south too.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Were the corners braced? I guess you may have softer soil than we have in the south too.
Yes & 2.5' deep with concrete around them. The soil is really dry ( high desert ) and frost heaving in the winter.

E/S

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think if it were me I'd go buy a 50lb box of spikes and pound it 4 to 6 of the spikes at the bottom of the post so the concrete will have something else to stick to and lock onto other then just wood.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
UH.......drill, slamb a post (steel) in with a FEL then cooncreet it in.
One small problem is you have way to many T post on long run!
Should go (per ways I have built fence) 1 post then 4 tee post then 1 post, etc......
But never seen a woman wanting it done like that.
My thoughts and you can tell her your friend in Texas said if she is so froggy then build it like you like hunny bun.
If you have no clue as to building a fence then hire a pro old farmer, Not a business! :cool: