Post driver

rodburner

Nov 21, 2010
oklahoma city
I have purchased a Shaver HD-10 post driver to go on my L3010. Somewhere I made a mistake on reading the specifications for the volume and pressure of my tractor. The requirements of the driver are 12GPM @ 1500psi. The available volume and pressure from the tractor is only 7GPM @ 2347-2489. So the question is if I go ahead and hook this thing up will it harm my pump or just work slow or maybe not at all. The real problem here is I need this driver to drive through sandstone. I can get a smaller driver that meets the available volume and pressure but may not drive like I need it to. So I’m kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I go ahead and try or do I need a bigger tractor. I want to get some input before I ruin the pump or something like that.

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
I dont know much about your implement, sorry. However, If you figure out out that you need more flow, maybe you should consider an auxilary hydraulic pump. A PTO driven pump would be much cheaper than a new tractor, and may be more versitile for other applications.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm

This link my help you with sizing your system. For the flow you specify, 12-13 hp should do.

rodburner

Nov 21, 2010
oklahoma city
Good Idea, I actually have a PTO pump for the backhoe. I guess i could put on some quick couplers and fab a return. Now to find out what the specs on the pump are. Thanks

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
http://www.shavermfg.com/downloads/HD-10-operator-manual.pdf

I looked up an owners manual, and from what I can tell the hydraulic cylinder does not perfrom the work. As this ram strokes, the springs are the driving force. From the sequence of operations, and the pictures that I see my understanding is that the hydraulic cylinder stretches or loads the springs, and the operator releases the stored energy into the post. The loading process is slower than the release process, as during release, massive ammounts of energy are released very quickly.

Personally, I would give it a try using your existing flow rate. It may take longer to charge the springs, but as long as your pump is capable of reaching the fully charged position (pressure part of hydraulic rating) the discharge should be the same. I am assuming that the valve configuration is set-up so that during the release of spring tension the hydraulic cylinder is "shorted" and there is no force applied in any direction (Retract or extend).

If it functions as I am interpreting, the only reason to have a higher flow rate is less time between strokes. If you are patient, it may not be a problem at all.

Please verify this for yourself, and I hope this helps.

rodburner

Nov 21, 2010
oklahoma city
I agree with you completely. If it takes 20 seconds to charge the springs instead of 10 seconds thats still a gazillion times faster than digging a hole and mixing concrete. My main concern is running the pump at full capacity. I don’t want to wear something out prematurely or cause a failure.
Thanks for the input, I am probably going to give it a go anyway just to see what happens.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would just pay attention to how hot the hyd system is getting during use. I don't see how you will harm it in any other way.