Poly Cutting Edge for BX?

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
(I didn't read any replies in this thread)

I installed (for a small period of time) a PVC cutting edge on my front mounted 48" snowblower.

As I recall, I took a 48" x 1.5" pc of grey electrical pvc and ripped it right up one side and put it right over the metal cutting edge of my blower. It didn't have the desired effect on my loose gravel driveway in the late fall (and man, was it hard to get on there which involved a hammer and curse words !)

but:

for paved driveways/parking lots/concrete pads in front of garages) it ought to be a little more gentler on those surfaces than the metal.
If this method fails, I'll try the PVC (another cheap option), I just need something, like you said, to be a bit kinder to the paved driveway, as I have put some fairly large scrapes in the blacktop already, so much so, that I'll need to resurface it once spring arrives :( Just don't want to keep adding to the damage, as I worry it'll start to do more than scrape and cause cracking...

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Just took a late lunch and cut/installed the Trex as a cutting edge, works fantastic. I ran it in the road, clearing a few piles, and on the drive way, no more scraping, and it seems to work almost as well as the metal cutting edge. I did reuse the bolts for the metal cutting edge, which are a bit short, so I wasn't able to use the lock washers, just the nuts, and I did have to counter-sink the flat (external) side for the flat bolts they used, its not perfect as I don't own a counter sink/bore tool, so I just rounded it out with the drill bit. If anyone wants pictures, I can grab a few, but hypothetically I just got 4 cutting edges (won't use them in the summer, will go back to the metal) for $16 as I drilled down the center of the Trex, so can flip it once its worn out.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just took a late lunch and cut/installed the Trex as a cutting edge, works fantastic. I ran it in the road, clearing a few piles, and on the drive way, no more scraping, and it seems to work almost as well as the metal cutting edge. I did reuse the bolts for the metal cutting edge, which are a bit short, so I wasn't able to use the lock washers, just the nuts, and I did have to counter-sink the flat (external) side for the flat bolts they used, its not perfect as I don't own a counter sink/bore tool, so I just rounded it out with the drill bit. If anyone wants pictures, I can grab a few, but hypothetically I just got 4 cutting edges (won't use them in the summer, will go back to the metal) for $16 as I drilled down the center of the Trex, so can flip it once its worn out.
FWIW, I bought the Kubota hard rubber (poly?) cutting edge for the Kubota FEL mounted plow that I use with my B3350 to plow my asphalt driveways. It clears well but wears down VERY rapidly. Yes, the skid shoes are adjusted and I plow in float.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well, for science I went out and picked up an 8' stick of Trex ($16), I will cut and mount it this evening and report back with the findings. After thinking about it more, I'm going to put the top of the Trex toward the outside of the bucket, given that side is likely designed for higher amounts of abuse (folks would be walking on it) and the channels should be a good spot for the bolts to seat down into. I'm hoping this works well, but worst case, it shreds after a few passes of the driveway, and I revert to one of the more purpose built plastic edges.
Edit‐ I see you did counter sink them

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Here is what it looks like on the ground, I did a few more clean up areas with it, seems to be holding strong:

Attachments