Pole Barns/Garages

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Anyone have thoughts on a quick build (or prebuilt) garage or pole barn for my L3560, disc and 6' bushhog? And my 18' trailer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How quick is quick and how much you willing to spend?
Do you have a bunch f friends you can call, how about ground prep?
Lots of things to think about here
Ground prep is probably the most important, flat level and compacted
If you go on line you can find metal quanset hut type units they deliver you put together, they are not real hard but you need some help, in some cases a lot of help, and tools and scaffolds and some way to put the panels in place, we did one at a buds farm 12 gays and we got it mostly done in one day 40x100 and that was a 12 hour day with no goofing off
Or you can contract it out to someone to do it but that starts to get pricey.
How big do you want to go, I did 30x40, and had it put up it wasnt cheap but then I was out of town most of the summer working so I couldnt do it my self
and you have to worry about the zoning laws if you have them. And the clown down the road complain that it is an eye sore.
As far as I can see there is no fast and cheap way of doing it,, just MHO

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Skeets,

Did the job really take 12 gays? All male? Or did you need a woman in there to give direction?

:)

JR

What Skeets said. Do you want a pad for this structure or just dirt? My neighbor built a really cool stamped metal structure that is self supporting. He assembled it all by himself on a concrete pad he had installed. It came with a roll-up door and its water tight and secure. Its approximately 20 x 30 but you just add on panels to make it as long as you want. The whole kit arrived at his house on part of a semi-trailer.

Last edited:

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Thanks guys - that helps. My buddy Chris is a pool builder so he has a big tractor to make a good foundation; we will make a gravel floor. Fortunately this is going to be on our well hidden family farm. I like the rolling door idea. Ok I'm going to look into some of these ideas and will keep everyone updated!!

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Pole buildings are cheaper out here, to build. They can go up really quickly too, but it all depends on what you want to start with, and what you may want to end up with. Are you going to want to insulate it and do concrete floors down the line?

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
You know as I read your comments it might be nice to "do it right" with concrete floors and insulation. I paid good $ for the tractor and should really protect it well. It's going to be 100% storage for the tractor, bushhog, disc, and trailer. No shop. Just protection.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Because of our incredibly tough & restricted building codes, (Coconino County)
pole barns require so many upgrades that you may as well put up a regular metal building or a stick built wood one. I'd love to put one up like the wife's uncle has in the U.P.; a slab, a few widely spaced poles, a few stringers, & some sheet metal.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My neighbor's stamped building is sturdy as heck.

(I have been trying to post a picture all day and for some reason the forum won't accept it.. "Invalid Post")

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I found a really nice one from Alan's Factory Outlet that I'm going to call about tomorrow. 24x26x8

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I found a really nice one from Alan's Factory Outlet that I'm going to call about tomorrow. 24x26x8

8' ceiling would put the door open at around 7' opening. Make sure your tractor can fit with the ROP's or worse... a cab. ROP's can be folded if you remember, and make sure the door is all the way open. I bet there are a lot of folks that have forgot, and run the ROP's into the door way. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Thank u! Yeah I have a foldable ROPS and no cab! I'll measure a bunch before settling, and I appreciate the reminder!!

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Always go bigger than you think you need also. You want to have enough room to get around everything and in case you get a few more implements.
I know I'm ready to build another shop just for extra storage and parking.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Jryser, those L3560 tractors will get you into all kinds of trouble! Had mine wedged into the aisle of the hay barn its first winter, but went with an addition big enough to house the tractor, horse trailer, and manure spreader. Well the spreader has been evicted already, so heed the bigger is better advice! I did put in a concrete floor, and boy am I glad I did. All the implements are on wheels, dollies. That and lots of lights is just such a pleasure. I wish I'd built it years ago.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Did the job really take 12 gays? All male? Or did you need a woman in there to give direction?

Hummmm ,,perhaps I need to proof read my stuff a little better,,lol :D

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Jryser, those L3560 tractors will get you into all kinds of trouble! Had mine wedged into the aisle of the hay barn its first winter, but went with an addition big enough to house the tractor, horse trailer, and manure spreader. Well the spreader has been evicted already, so heed the bigger is better advice! I did put in a concrete floor, and boy am I glad I did. All the implements are on wheels, dollies. That and lots of lights is just such a pleasure. I wish I'd built it years ago.

You know I made that same decision when buying the L3560! I said "let's go bigger Bc I've never seen anyone say they wished their only tractor was smaller!!" Plus the wife ENCOURAGED it!!! Lucky me! Ok we will look at bigger and concrete floor it will be. I will have electricity too! Here's temp home.

Or here:

Last edited: