Plowing over gravel

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
I'm new to tractors and plowing. I bought a 72" manual adjust plow for the front of the L2501 tractor.

Looking for suggestions as to how high to set the blade height when plowing gravel. I'd like to get close to cleaning the dirt/gravel driveway when it snows, but I don't want to scrape all the gravel off.

Can any with more experience than me offer their thoughts?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm new to tractors and plowing. I bought a 72" manual adjust plow for the front of the L2501 tractor.

Looking for suggestions as to how high to set the blade height when plowing gravel. I'd like to get close to cleaning the dirt/gravel driveway when it snows, but I don't want to scrape all the gravel off.

Can any with more experience than me offer their thoughts?
several discussions on this topic. You might try searching with the terms plow Snow and Gravel to find them. That is sure to answer some of your questions and bring new ones to mind you didn't get answered yet. Fire away on the new ones when your ready

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I have the same question. We haven't had to plow yet, not enough snow to bother my 4wd F350 yet, but it's coming someday. I have been hoping someone would report on these used on a gravel driveway. (or in my case, cinder driveway)
http://r2manufacturing.com/edge-tamer-2/
Those look interesting. My first thought was they would still dig into a gravel drive until the drive froze. Then you would be OK.

So I watched their video and noticed something when they were doing the unfrozen ground/no snow demonstration. It appears that they weren't using the "shoes" to keep the cutting edge out of the ground. It looks like they rolled the bucket back just a hair so they could set it on the ground, lift the front of the tractor and go.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
With my limited experience in the last 4 years is, any car can drive thru 1" of snow. My factors keep changing every year so I'm still learning. I started off with the bucket and rear blade, we had a hell of a winter, 2 hour clean outs. Next year switched to a blower and rear blade, a moderate winter, 1 hour clean outs. Next year same setup and very little snow, but had to rebuild blower due to big rock. Next year got a deal on a plow, combined with the rear blade, very little snow that year. This winter switched lane from white rock to millings, should be kinder on the blower if needed.
The first year I had a more gravel in the grass than wanted, so I drop the blade/blower then raise it 1" then move nice and slow. Patience is the key. Eventually the sun will melt that 1" and I remind myself that its better than doing it by hand.
I wouldnt mind having a set of those edge tamers if I have to dig myself out of a blizzard.
So my plan is to start off with the blade till ground is frozen. If needed swith to blower. When its head high, dig myself out with the bucket.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Make a gravel turn around or some other place to pile the snow other then the yard. Push as much snow as you can into one area then clean up the gravel in the spring. I never had any luck plowing with my bucket. It went from digging in to missing to much snow to quickly. Got a front blade set up ready for this winter.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It looks like they rolled the bucket back just a hair so they could set it on the ground, lift the front of the tractor and go.
I think they lifted the front of the tractor to show that even with all the weight of the front of the tractor on the bucket, the edge tamers won't let the bucket dig in. Seems to work great on grass, but wish they'd do a demo on gravel.
Maybe something like edge tamers, but with a much bigger "shoe" to float on loose gravel better.
I have a 60" Curtis front blade with "mushroom feet" and it works great on hard surfaces, but on the cinders it just keeps sinking until it hits the hard pack underneath the gravel. Maybe some kind of roller setup instead...

Attachments

Wildeman56

Equipment
BX2670 loader w/qa, 60"mmm, Land Pride grapple and 60" snow pusher
Oct 11, 2016
S.E. South Dakota
I learned a trick from my father in law...

Years ago he added a steel pipe over the cutting edge of his loader bucket to keep from cutting twine strings when moving round bales. Soon after, he noticed that it had a secondary benefit of not digging into the gravel when pushing snow. It still dug snow all the way down to the gravel but never peeled up any.

He just took a piece of tubing about 1.5" diameter 1/8" wall and cut a slit down the length wide enough to fit fully over his cutting edge. Then he welded on some tabs that were bolted on where the cutting edge bolted.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I think they lifted the front of the tractor to show that even with all the weight of the front of the tractor on the bucket, the edge tamers won't let the bucket dig in. Seems to work great on grass, but wish they'd do a demo on gravel.
Maybe something like edge tamers, but with a much bigger "shoe" to float on loose gravel better.
I have a 60" Curtis front blade with "mushroom feet" and it works great on hard surfaces, but on the cinders it just keeps sinking until it hits the hard pack underneath the gravel. Maybe some kind of roller setup instead...
Loosen the spring tension on your blade so it is not as agressive. That is what I did when I had a plow on my truck. On my tractor I use the loader with a blade on it and I tilt the blade forward slightly until the ground freezes. Once it is frozen tighten the springs back up. My driveway use to be almost an 1/8 mile long and gravel

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I learned a trick from my father in law...

Years ago he added a steel pipe over the cutting edge ...It still dug snow all the way down to the gravel but never peeled up any.

He just took a piece of tubing about 1.5" diameter 1/8" wall and.....
try a search maybe for Pipe snow plow??? This might bring up the threads on that. Some in here have used PVC pipe.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
If the bucket is indeed rolled back a little, it will ride on the floor of the bucket and never dig in. No skid shoes needed. That was my point. They clearly weren't lifting the front of the tractor with just the edge tamers touching the ground.

sent from a field

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Shoes, edge tamers, mushroom feet.... all work well on frozen or solid dry ground. For loose gravel and wet ground you will probably need more. Maybe extra large shoes, try to maintain the blade/blower sightly raised, or use the blade in reverse. Using a rear blade reversed works especially well.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont plow with my tractor, i have a plow on my truck.
Tromp snow first couple snowfalls with the vehicles(wish i could train people to offset their tracks and not folliw one trail like cattle) and hope it freezes solid.
Then drive with plow raised slightly to even it out. I have to stay off the lawn until it freezes good or i be taking lots of soil samples.

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Like the previous post says. I also pack down the first snowfall or two.
But i also use a snowblower.
Only place i have a problem is in front of the garage where the vehicle always ends up in the same spots.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I dont plow with my tractor, i have a plow on my truck.
Tromp snow first couple snowfalls with the vehicles(wish i could train people to offset their tracks and not folliw one trail like cattle) and hope it freezes solid.
Then drive with plow raised slightly to even it out. I have to stay off the lawn until it freezes good or i be taking lots of soil samples.
That works great in Canada and northern Michigan, but some places south of us where the ground never freezes get dumped on with big snows. I know unfrozen ground in the winter maybe a new concept when you spend most of your time north of the 45th.:D:D:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
but some places south of us where the ground never freezes get dumped on with big snows.
Tell me about it.:D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a 60" rear blade and put edge tamers on the bucket. Only one snowfall last year, over a foot, more than the rear blade could handle. I had to move it by the bucket full. The tamers worked great, nearly no gravel on the lawn (15 minutes with a rake once the snow melted and it was gone).

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tell me about it.:D
Bill - like you, Frank, and Larry said, unfrozen ground is tough.

Every couple years we get a big snow after everything thaws in upstate New York. It's real tough to deal with.

Can't imagine a whole winter of it.....:eek:

I think I posted a picture a year or two ago, but Tractor Supply did carry a shoe with a shape very similar to the edge tamer shape, but with the post like your mushroom shoe. Might work better on your blade in the cinders??

I'm not sure how my snowblower shoes will work on my newly-stoned driveway, so I did a modification of the stock shoes.

Attachments

Last edited:

SkylineAcres16

Equipment
Kubota MX5800 HST, International B-275 Diesel
Sep 3, 2016
Virginia
Quick tip for anyone with a rear blade and gravel driveway. If you have a rear blade, turn the blade around backwards (angle it as well) and drive forward. It will give you a perfect plow without digging in. It is strictly the method I use on our gravel drive.