please help t1400

lonlyknight

Equipment
T1400H
Jul 10, 2014
ashland,ohio
please if some one can help me i have a t1400h it is an 87 model i just had the piston replaced and rings got it back ran it for 1 hour then changed the oil. then she sat for 3 days then mowed about 5 acres then it started to flutter?
well let it cool down for about 1 hour and then went back to finish. well thats when it would run for a little while then shut down would start it up and seam to run good then put on the pto and then dies?? i checked the oil the plug is good but it was white when i cleaned it the air filter is good? the fuel tho when i smelled it kinda burnt my nose?? today it took me 2 hours to mow about 1/4 acres?? do to it would die then i would start it and put pto on then it would die again? i start it and no pto it would die?? there is 2 five amp fuses in the engine area 1 was blown so i replaced it and it still would do the same thing so after about 30 mins of this on then die then on it finally started and ran good?? please help me i use this for a lawn care business. please email or something. thank you for taking the time to read this..

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Almost sounds like water or trash of some kind in the fuel system. Did it smoke when it was running bad? If so what color was the smoke?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like what happens when gasoline gets mixed with the diesel fuel. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So this is a gas engine?
Seems like dirt in carb, possibly flooding. Best pull spark plug and see condition of it. Good indicator of fuel mixture.
Im rereading first post. Plug was white=lean
Dont want to run it like this for too long.
Carb needs cleaning/adjusting.

Last edited:

lonlyknight

Equipment
T1400H
Jul 10, 2014
ashland,ohio
yes the plug was white when i checked it last and it is a gas motor its the kubota (Kawasaki) motor. after the motor was rebuilt 3 days later i mowed 5 acres and it did good till about 1 or 2 hours of sitting then it started to act up?
and how would you adjust the carb setting i see the screw at the front of the carb i can turn it back till the motor dies and thought that maybe turning it 2 turns would be good so im not sure.. also it does not smoke so i am kind of at a loss??

lonlyknight

Equipment
T1400H
Jul 10, 2014
ashland,ohio
i am not sure if mine has a fuel filter i see a fuel shut off valve and i was thinking about removing that to put in a filter. also does any one have parts for a t1400?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
i am not sure if mine has a fuel filter i see a fuel shut off valve and i was thinking about removing that to put in a filter. also does any one have parts for a t1400?
If you don't have a fuel filter, you can always add an inline filter. You can just snip the fuel line and attach with a couple of clamps. You would probably want to keep the fuel shut off in case the float sticks, or a line goes bad;)

lonlyknight

Equipment
T1400H
Jul 10, 2014
ashland,ohio
good point on keeping the shut off valve. i wasnt sure if all this was do to carb and fuel problem or if the mech that rebuilt the motor might have done something but then it was odd to move for 3 or 4 hours straight before any problems started.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That set screw you were talking about should control the idle. There may be a couple of smaller set screws, those would adjust the jets, how lean or rich it runs. It also could be adjusted by the float as well. Depends on the carb. You shouldn't try to adjust how rich or lean it runs unless your sure of what does what. It's pretty easy to screw it up. (Don't ask :))I usually consult a small engine mechanic on those issues
Judging by what you posted about the smell of the gas, it sounds like bad gas, and it's started turning to varnish. Draining the tank and the float bowl on the carb will help. With the gas going bad it may have caused the spark plug to start failing again. If the gas was really bad, you may have a flacky residue inside the tank and lines, and that can be a pita to get rid of. Check the intake side of the shut off valve. There may be a screen thats getting clogged.
A gas stabilizer will help prevent this in the future;) i treat my cans every time i refill them.

Last edited:

beedabee1

Equipment
T1400
Apr 17, 2015
Noblesville, IN
Hi,

I am new here. I have a Kubota T1400 riding mower. The issue I am running into is the Speed Control Pedal (You press down to move foward, or press backward or up to go in reverse) is stuck in the down or forward position. I have looked be cannot see anything that looks like it is blocking this pedal from going back to neutral. Any suggestions? Is this ran on Hydraulics? As you can tell I know little about this mower, and am trying to fix it up to use. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is the pedal physically stuck? Or can you pull it up with your hand and it falls back down? If it's physically stuck, check all the linkages and see if it is in a bind somewhere, loose pin caught on the frame, fork slightly twisted and binding, ect.... They usually work off a pretty simple system to engage and disengage. With the pedal being spring loaded to return to the center position.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
lonlyknight, a couple of easy things you might try. When the engine start to stall, open the gas tank cap. It might not be venting properly. It's amazing the number of times that has cured my fuel starvation problems. Another thing is to replace the rubber fuel line. If it has never been changed, it has had 18 year for the ethanol in gasoline to turn it into a mess. If you pull the fuel line loose at the filter and gas flows out, that doesn't necessarily mean the hose is good. If you don't replace it, it's just a matter of time before it shuts you down.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
An afterthought. Remove the bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and look fir water, trash or varnish from bad fuel. If the carb jet has the least bit of stoppage, (sometimes not ever visible), it will run as you describe. You can clean it out with a paper clip, bread tie etc. One other thing, you really do need to find and replace the fuel filter. It's highly unlikely Kubota built it without one. It's probably in a screw in canister on the part with the fuel shutoff.