Placement of Hooks on Bucket

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'd like to get some 3/8" hooks welded to the bucket of my tractor for securing chains. I'll probably put two of them on the top of the bucket - with one on each end - but the dealer is saying that a lot of people put a hook "inside the bucket" - near the center up against the back.

Has anyone done this or had any experiences like this ? I think that it might be in the way - and think that maybe one welded to the backside of the bucket would be better.

The rationale for this is be able to lift straight up by rolling the bucket all the way forward (or back)...

Comments ???

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I put three on the top, one in the middle and one one each lined up with the loader arms. Be sure to add support, like a pipe, to the top of the regular duty bucket to keep from crushing the curled edge. (The heavy duty bucket already has a pipe on top.)

The center hook on the bucket will work to use the front edge of the bucket with the curl function.

Keep the two top edge hooks within the arms of the FEL to minimize off-center loads.

A hook is welded to the back of the bucket (near the brush guard, not inside) for heavier lifting.

Be sure to weld the hooks to a backing plate, maybe 4" x 5" and then weld that to the bucket.

There are special weld-on hooks that work perfectly.

https://www.truckntow.com/p-11373-weld-on-grab-hook-38-pellican-hook.aspx

Do a search. This subject has been discussed at length here and on other forums.

Last edited:

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
GWD - thanks. My dealer recommended using the same type of hooks that are on your link. He also said that the hooks that are welded to the top of the bucket should be kept "inside" of the loader arms - like you suggested too.

I'd like to see a picture of the hook that is welded to the back of the bucket.

Thanks!!

TGReaper

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
A BX2200 is not too long on lifting power with it's single cylinder bucket.With this in mind I just mounted a single slip hook on a plate welded to the reinforcement for the cylinder.
Dan

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have 4 hook on my bucket. 2 3/8 hooks in the center and 1 slip hook on each end. When I use the slip hooks on the end of the bucket I can then use the center hooks to adjust the chain length. Having 2 center hooks is nice when you need to have different length chains.

I welded mine to plates and then used grade 8 bolt to attach them. For one, I didn't want to burn the paint off my new loader and figured the plates would help to spread the load to a wider area.

Attachments

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You can see on Bulldog's second photo where the short piece of pipe could go under the top lip of the bucket to reinforce the top edge. It looks like 3/4" pipe would be the right size to reduce crushing on that bucket. In fact, one length of pipe under all four of the hook would spread the load quite well.

Now that the bucket has a few nicks maybe he'd consider it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I fully agree with you on the pipe. It needs it or in the right circumstance the bucket will get bent. That bend in mine happened long time back. I have forks now so I don't lift with my bucket like I did before.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thanks to all of you for your pictures, suggestions, and comments. It does give me more to think about and what I'm going to do.

I also plan on getting a pair of loader forks that slip onto & clamp onto the loader bucket. This way I can pick up brush piles and cut logs a little easier - without getting off my "comfy seat" :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I also plan on getting a pair of loader forks that slip onto & clamp onto the loader bucket. This way I can pick up brush piles and cut logs a little easier - without getting off my "comfy seat" :D
Even though it's much cheaper to go with the clamp on forks they are or can be very hard on your loader bucket. If you really get to pushing with them the bucket will be trash in no time.

mike sacc

Equipment
L 2850 tiller rough cut mower chipper/shredder home made weight box forks
Apr 30, 2011
coventry ri usa
i made a set out of channel, they work. i have to straight en them out once in a while .mostly use them for moving logs and cutting so i dont brake my back.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Can you post a photo showing the inside of the bucket. Just curious to see the bolts. I like your idea but think I would run the bolts the opposite way to keep from anything snagging inside the bucket.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
I bought mine here
http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustom...325735784&affID=&categoryid=707&navParent=437
Cheapest place I could find them.
I haven't welded them on yet.
I plan on welding them to some 3/8 x 2" flat bar and then weld the flat bar to the bucket.
Logical locations one at each lift arm. I'm not sure if I'll put one in the center of the bucket or not.
I'll probably weld one onto the backhoe bucket also.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I bought mine here
http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustom...325735784&affID=&categoryid=707&navParent=437
Cheapest place I could find them.
I haven't welded them on yet.
I plan on welding them to some 3/8 x 2" flat bar and then weld the flat bar to the bucket.
Logical locations one at each lift arm. I'm not sure if I'll put one in the center of the bucket or not.
I'll probably weld one onto the backhoe bucket also.
Paulwestki, where are you located in Amherst? I live in Love, on the valley side of the Parkway- a couple of miles from Wintergreen. I go to Lynchburg all the time- a daughter at Liberty, and the wife's family is there. I'll wave the next time I'm zooming down 29.