Picking up grass with fel?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I occasionally mow a neighbor's 3 acre lawn specifically to collect the clippings to add to my compost. I can't justify the expense of a bagger or lawn vac at this time. So I'm wondering if there's a good way to use my fel to scoop up windrows of clippings and load them into carts and my carryall. Seems like closely set rake tines (with tips bent to not catch) could get under the windrows and keep me from raking by hand. Is there anything that attaches to the bucket that can do this?

My side discharge mmm creates pretty nice windrows if I plan my passes right. But I can't always get underneath them with the loader, even in float. And I end up gouging the turf too often.

I might try one of those pull behind sweepers, but doesn't look like they hold much, and the neighbor is 1/2 mile away. It'd be a lot of trips compared to pulling a loaded cart behind my loaded carryall.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have seen people that attach the sweeper to the loader bucket and use that as the catcher and allows you to dump it easy too. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The little field below the old barn I mow and keep blowing the clippings in to wind rows then mow and blow that wind row over in to the next, then rake in to piles in to the cart and then to the pile. I understand thats more than you want to do but a power sweeper would do better. The pull behind ground powered sweepers leave a lot to be desired in heavy grass

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mow it and leave the rows to dry for a day, then come back and use the mower's side discharge to blow the grass into several large piles by mowing in squares or circles. Rake or pitchfork the piles into your cart or a tarp or your bucket. I have done this with leaves and grass clippings before getting a Cyclone Rake. The CR would reduce the work involved.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I have seen people that attach the sweeper to the loader bucket and use that as the catcher and allows you to dump it easy too. ;)
Interesting. I Googled some references to this concept, but haven't found any photos or details yet.

The little field below the old barn I mow and keep blowing the clippings in to wind rows then mow and blow that wind row over in to the next, then rake in to piles in to the cart and then to the pile.
Mow it and leave the rows to dry for a day, then come back and use the mower's side discharge to blow the grass into several large piles by mowing in squares or circles. Rake or pitchfork the piles into your cart or a tarp or your bucket.
Those last two techniques are what I'm doing now, but the raking is hard on my sometimes fragile back.

A cyclone rake or similar probably is the way to go. Just researched them a bit, and good to know that some models are really compact when stored. Just have to decide if I can justify the expense.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
What about a pine needle rake, tines are close together. Down side their about $400