Picked up another B7100HST-D

tiger9297

Equipment
B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
I've had a "like new" B7100HST-D with only 600 hours on it for about a year now, and absolutely love it. Even bought a brand new FEL for it. Was looking around on Craigslist and found another one so I went to take a look at it. Seemed like a good deal so I bought it. It has about 2800 hours on it, and the paint looks a little rough, but overall I would say its a decent tractor. It has a mid-mount mower- RC60-71B (which is now for sale, by the way),and was used by a church to mow grass. I feel pretty confident in saying that it has probably never pulled an implement, and if it has, it was very infrequent. That being said, I don't think the tractor has really been worked hard, it's just spent a lot of time rolling around a church yard cutting grass.

1) ENGINE- It starts easily, idles smoothly, and runs good, but if you go full throttle it will sputter just a little, and every now and then you will see a small puff of white smoke. I'm going to run it some more around my place and see how it does. I guess I'm wondering two things:

- Does it sound like it needs rings, and if so can they be installed with the engine in the tractor or does it have to be removed?

- Are these tractors worth doing a full overhaul on? They go pretty cheap around here. You can find them for $2k-$3k, and I actually have less than that in this one. If it costs $1k+ to have one overhauled, it doesn't hardly seem worth spending that kind of money on it. How much are overhaul kits?

2) TRANSMISSION- The other thing I've noticed about it (and I only noticed this b/c I have my other B7100 to compare it to) is that when it's in a "bind", you can press the hydro pedal, and it will give you the customary "Kubota hydro trans whine", but struggles to spin the tires- even on dirt. My other "like new" B7100 will spin all 4 tires on concrete. The engine doesn't really seem to bog down that much, it just seems like maybe the transmission has lost power.

- Could this mean a pump overhaul is due? Again, since this tractor probably hasn't been worked that hard, I would think that the tranny itself is ok, but with 2800 hours on it, I'm thinking the pump may be tired. What is involved in a pump overhaul?

I know this is a long post. Thanks for the help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just knowing that it came from a church and probably several different members did the operating on it I bet it never recieved the proper maintenance.

My guess on the smoke and the sputtering is that it probably has a dirty fuel system and needs a filter change and some cleaner run thru it. It may have some water in the system and or trash.

On the tranny again it probably never recieved the proper maintenance and may be fine after it was serviced with new fluid and filters.

That is just a guess but I'm sure they just put fuel in it and as long as it would crank it was used. Probably never had filtered fuel put in it because they probably fueled it with a 5 gal jug and got fuel from anywhere they could buy it. It may be a real good machine after it got a little TLC given to it.

You are probably right on the fact that it was never worked hard therefore it was used for a couple of hrs. and then just sat doing nothing for a week or so and then used for a few more hrs. That sure would leave a lot of time for moisture to collect and for algea to grow in the fuel tank.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Im with Bulldog on this, do a simple lube and fuel change and see what that does and go from there. No sense in tearing things appart if it just needs fresh fluids and filters.

tiger9297

Equipment
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
I bought oil and filter, air filter, and fuel filter today. Was going to service it tomorrow. You mentioned running a fuel "cleaner" through it. What is the name of this cleaner and where can I get it? I'm assuming I just add it to the fuel???

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You mentioned running a fuel "cleaner" through it. What is the name of this cleaner and where can I get it? I'm assuming I just add it to the fuel???
You opened up a can of worms with this question. You may need a note pad for the answers you will get on that subject.

I use either Marvelle Mystery oil or Mercon Dextron ATF fluid. What you are going thru now I would use the Marvelle at a ratio of 4 oz. to 10 gal. of fuel. I mix the ATF with the same ratio and use it as a daily fuel additive. The Marvelle and the ATF both will add lubrisity to the fuel which adds life to your entire fuel system. Both will aid in the removal of carbon build up and help to keep your engine clean. A aded benefit of the Marvelle is that it helps to prevent the fuel from going bad due to algea growth. It a very good choice to put in a fuel storage tank to keep the fuel for going bad just sitting there.

You will have a bunch of thats a bad idea or that don't work but I have been doing it for 30+ yrs. and have never had a fuel related problem with any of my diesels. That is what is great about OTT. You will get plenty of advise. :D

tiger9297

Equipment
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
Bulldog,

That sounds great. I'll take your word for it and pick some Marvel up today. The only problem I see with you is that your name is "Bulldog" and you're from GA!!! Being an Auburn grad ('97), this Tiger kinda bristles a little at that. ;)

Thanks for the advise. Guess I can look past that red and black this once.

War Eagle!!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The fuel system cleaning idea is a good one. The sputtering is quite common with dirty injectors. I would buy a proper fuel conditioner and injector cleaner. ATF has a lot of other additives for a AT that are not good for an injection system. And yes I know people have use it for years and ........
Get the proper stuff. Any truck stop will have what you need.:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bulldog,

That sounds great. I'll take your word for it and pick some Marvel up today. The only problem I see with you is that your name is "Bulldog" and you're from GA!!! Being an Auburn grad ('97), this Tiger kinda bristles a little at that. ;)

Thanks for the advise. Guess I can look past that red and black this once.

War Eagle!!
Actually the name "Bulldog" has nothing to do with the "Dawgs".

I earned that one honestly. It envolved my B 7100 pulling a small utility trailer and my nieghbors 2200 LB PISSED OFF BULL :eek: :mad: :eek: and a chase across my pasture. That's a whole other story. It's hard to make a high speed get-a-way on with a tractor that only runs 10 mph.

You can calm the Tiger down now, everything is all good. I actually worked down in Opelica back in 03 for a while. I loved it down there and met some great people. It was hard to leave when I did but you do what you got to do.

Now that your blood pressure is back to normal I'll go on and tell you that I love them Dawgs but everything is all good. Just look at it this way, Orange is a calming color. :D

tiger9297

Equipment
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
Orange is a calming color. Although it seems my blood pressure is sometimes at it's highest when the orange is paired with navy blue from September through November. I know I know, I take football WAY too seriously. I should probably be spending those Saturdays on the Kubotas rather than watching football anyway. Thanks for all the help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Orange is a calming color. Although it seems my blood pressure is sometimes at it's highest when the orange is paired with navy blue from September through November. I know I know, I take football WAY too seriously. I should probably be spending those Saturdays on the Kubotas rather than watching football anyway. Thanks for all the help.
It sounds like you might have yelled at the t/v once or twice. :D

Twin Kubotas

Equipment
ZD28 & 7100B
Jul 3, 2010
Davidsonville MD
I am new and just reading through some history. I did want to ask you about your FEL. I also own a 7100 and would like to add a FEL to it. Where did you buy yours? Did you install it yourself? Did it come as a kit? Did the kit include everything to make it work? Was it designed with quick disconnect couplers? Are you happy with the way it works?