Pellet stoves

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
hey could some of you guys give us some links to a couple of good/proven stoves?

like that harmon or kozi whats ever?
sdk - looks like you found Harman, but here's their link. I have the XXV, which they still make.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/

At the time, my research said Harman and Quadrafire were the 2 best. Now Quadrafire owns Harman.

When I bought the Harman years ago, fuel oil was ~$4/ gallon. I burned about 12 facecord of firewood and ~1,000 gallons of fuel oil per year.

Pellet stove replaced the wood stove. The Harman XXV was far from cheap, but seemed to be the ticket for us with a 6" top vent adapter that hooked right to my thimble/masonry chimney.

While we've made other changes (boiler, windows, doors, etc.), now I burn almost 6 tons of pellets and less than 20 gallons of fuel oil per year. Last year I burned 7.6 gallons of fuel oil totaling $17.83.

Our house is small, but downstairs is a constant 76 degrees, which keeps the upstairs warm enough. Since the boiler in the cellar doesn't run, I have to run a milkhouse heater when it gets near 0 degrees.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
After running the new kozi for a few months, its not bad. Downsides- the bay winow style glass is a pain to clean and side panels soot up quick.
The hopper barely holds one bag of pellets. A royal pain in the ass. If it would hold even 60 lbs would be much less of a nuisance.

I am also a little disappointed with heat output. Dial draft to get decent heat and burn pot plugs up with ashes.its not the quality of pellets,i was burning the worst pellets i ever saw and heat output remainsthe same.

Compare it to the harmon, big difference. I repaired it. Thermal switch on exhaust to shut fan and auger off,one on firebox to control circulation fan and a high limit to cut auger off to prevent overheat.
Also used a 30 minute timer to run stove until thermal switches kick in.
No digital control,works flawlessly.

Last edited: