Pat's QH and extending the top link holder(s)

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
I did some searching on the site and found a few threads that seemed to be close to my question, but nothing spot on. So sorry in advance if this question has already been answered.

I ordered the Pat's QH, and I'm looking forward to using it. I do think that one way or another, I will want to make the toplink longer to match the longer Pat's QH bottom links. Here are some data points:

- I have rear hydraulics.
- A significant chunk of what I do with my tractor is grading, so "top and tilt" is important to me.

My current line of thinking is that I should find a way to extend the toplink holders on the tractor so:

- Does anyone know of any extended toplink holders for sale?
- Maybe I could just bolt 3/8" plates with holes to the existing holders?
- Maybe I could have them fabricated. Anyone know of a fabricator who wouldn't charge and arm and a leg?

Any other approaches?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Depending on your hydraulic top link it may be adequate already. If it is really too short and you want to extend the mounts it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for two flat plate of the appropriate dimensions. You'd need three appropriate diameter holes in each plate, two of which are for the mounting bolts, and four appropriate mounting bolts with nuts and washers. To me that's the simplest solution.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe simpler still.. buy a longer 'top link' cylinder ??

If Pat'sQH adds 4", then you add 4" to the max range of the TL cylinder.

Adding steel extender plates might be 'tricky'. They should be FIXED, so that there's only one pivot point. Depending on the implement, ground, operation,etc. it'd be possible that the 'extended plate-cylinder 'joint' could pivot. It might not matter, just something to consider.
Something like 2"x3/8 flat barstock could be used, you need 3x pin diameter of material as the width to retain the strength of the 'extension plates'. I suspect anything narrower will be destroyed by shock loads.

Reactions: 1 user

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I bought a longer hydraulic top link when I went to the Pat's QH.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Here is what another person did to deal with the issue.

I'm noticing that in general having a tractor is slowly expanding my mechanical skills. That said, cutting and drilling and welding thick steel is still outside of my skill set.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Depending on your hydraulic top link it may be adequate already. If it is really too short and you want to extend the mounts it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for two flat plate of the appropriate dimensions. You'd need three appropriate diameter holes in each plate, two of which are for the mounting bolts, and four appropriate mounting bolts with nuts and washers. To me that's the simplest solution.
I agree. The trick is finding a fabricator.