Parking Brakes Seem Stuck on RTV400

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Well, I just got a new RTV400, it doesn't quite have 5 hours on it yet. Cranked it up a bit ago, put it in gear and it would barely budge. I turned it off and put it in neutral and tried to roll it and it feels like the parking brake is locked up tight (although the lever is in the off position and the brake light is off). If I apply the brake with the lever the light comes on, let it down the light goes off again, yet in neutral it will not roll a single inch, it won't budge. I tried cranking it and gently giving it some gas to move it just a tad to see if that would unlock the brakes, but so far it hasn't helped.

I called the dealer and waiting to hear back from them but thought I'd also try my luck here. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did it get wet?

With it having that few of hour on it, I would suspect if it got wet, the brake pads are sticking to a surface rust on the rotors. ;)

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Thanks for the reply, and yes, it has been raining here the past day or so and although I've driven it through wet spots this is probably the first time it's been ridden when it's damp outside, so I'm sure that's a factor.

I also talked to the local service guy and he said to take a look at the rear brakes and I'd be able to spot which arm is engaged and I could reach in and raise it and it would release. He was right, the left side was slightly engaged and when I pulled it up I felt it immediately roll a little (this was on flat surface in my garage). He said the parking brakes needed to be adjusted and I could take it in, but I'm thinking about taking a whack at it myself.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
I was wondering if someone could tell me if I'm way off base here.

So when I apply the parking brake the arms move forward and the brake is applied. When I let off the parking brake the return spring should bring the arm back. This is working fine on my right wheel but it's sticking on the left wheel. Looking at this it seems like there is a jam nut and the bolt controls the tension on the arm? Is that right? And if so I could just loosen the jam nut, back off the bolt a little bit and then retighten?

Or if I'm a moron and need to just take it to the dealership you can tell me that to. My wife's pretty honest with me, I can handle the truth, lol. :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep you loosen the jam nut back off the screw a bit and then check it.

If the cam is not rotating freely something might be binding, like the linkage or the cable.

One thing that will really help you out now and in the future, and helps from making stupid mistakes (keeps the wife and the wallet happy) is get the WSM (aka Service manual).
Sorry no free PDF download that I can find, so you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a copy from the dealer.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Yep you loosen the jam nut back off the screw a bit and then check it.

If the cam is not rotating freely something might be binding, like the linkage or the cable.

One thing that will really help you out now and in the future, and helps from making stupid mistakes (keeps the wife and the wallet happy) is get the WSM (aka Service manual).
Sorry no free PDF download that I can find, so you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a copy from the dealer.
Awesome, you've been a great help and I really appreciate it. I will buy a copy of the service manual ASAP, I'm actually glad to know that's available for purchase, I've been googling this afternoon for some kind of documentation that goes a little more in depth than what I can find in the manual but not much turned up for Kubota RTV's.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Got it, thanks. Ordered a manual, then went out and backed off that screw half a turn and everything is good as new. Well, technically it is new but you know what I mean. Thanks again for your help.

GGP

Equipment
RTV 400
Jul 9, 2019
Toronto Ontario Canada
I have the same issue with my 2017 RTV 400
Locks up over 50% of the time - sometimes one side and sometimes both
Has done this since the day I got it
Only 10 hours on the machine
I tried adjusting the nut you described as well as adjusting the cable at the handle
Will work a few times and then if left overnight it locks up for sure
Suggestions where I go from her welcome