Painting Powder Coated Ballast Box Advice Needed

u2builder

Equipment
BX2370 with loader and snowblower
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
I recently purchased a BX 2370 with loader and front mounted snow blower. I am an old guy and this is my first tractor ever. I am wondering how I managed to do without one for so long. It is fantastic.

Anyway, while I have the tires filled, I discovered I really needed some additional rear weight to safely operate the loader and safely nove around on my rather hilly lot. I can't afford an implement like a box blade, and don't really need one, and suitcase weights are crazy expensive, so I went with a Titan Attachments ballast box ($229 shipped). It is pretty nice for the price and will be a great place to keep some yard tools like a rake, saw, clippers. Unfortunately it is a red color (not the orange shown in the pictures). It is powder coated. I bought some Kubota spray paint but now am wondering if it will stick (even if I scuff it up there are lots of welds that would be hard to scuff). Has anyone painted over powder coating, or would I be better just leaving it red. I think I know the answer but am curious.. Thanks for any advice.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I recently purchased a BX 2370 with loader and front mounted snow blower. I am an old guy and this is my first tractor ever. I am wondering how I managed to do without one for so long. It is fantastic.

Anyway, while I have the tires filled, I discovered I really needed some additional rear weight to safely operate the loader and safely nove around on my rather hilly lot. I can't afford an implement like a box blade, and don't really need one, and suitcase weights are crazy expensive, so I went with a Titan Attachments ballast box ($229 shipped). It is pretty nice for the price and will be a great place to keep some yard tools like a rake, saw, clippers. Unfortunately it is a red color (not the orange shown in the pictures). It is powder coated. I bought some Kubota spray paint but now am wondering if it will stick (even if I scuff it up there are lots of welds that would be hard to scuff). Has anyone painted over powder coating, or would I be better just leaving it red. I think I know the answer but am curious.. Thanks for any advice.

Powder coating is some tough stuff. The best results would be to use some sort of 'self-etching' primer as a good base. It actually uses an acid to create an etched surface that will allow the final coat to adhere. You can find it at any auto parts store in the body section.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Etching primer is one way,powder coating isnt all that tough,320 grit will scuff it enough for paint. My shop hoist is powder coated,im not impressed with how its holding up. Going to wire wheel it off and paint this summer.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Etching primer is one way,powder coating isnt all that tough,320 grit will scuff it enough for paint. My shop hoist is powder coated,im not impressed with how its holding up. Going to wire wheel it off and paint this summer.
How 'tough' a powder coated finish is is completely dependant on the type and quality of powder utilized. At my work, the products we manufacture get coated with two of the highest end powders available. We utilize a TGIC-free polyester super durable powder with a high temp cure for a harder finish. That stuff is graffiti proof, you literally cannot recoat it without a special primer. The powder coating from Harbor Freight on the other hand might as well be Krylon applied without prep.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
How 'tough' a powder coated finish is is completely dependant on the type and quality of powder utilized. At my work, the products we manufacture get coated with two of the highest end powders available. We utilize a TGIC-free polyester super durable powder with a high temp cure for a harder finish. That stuff is graffiti proof, you literally cannot recoat it without a special primer. The powder coating from Harbor Freight on the other hand might as well be Krylon applied without prep.

I dont understand how some companies sell their products as powdercoated and a year later rust appears. I believe there is good powdercoat and not so good powder coat. A little disappointing when buying something because its powder coated and finish falls apart in short order.

Back to regular scheduled program.
Flip it over, scuff bottom with scotchbrite and hit it with your paint. If it sticks, carry on.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Poor surface prep will result in rust.
If there is somthing on there to begin with it fester fast.
Along with poor powder coat.

Ray

u2builder

Equipment
BX2370 with loader and snowblower
Apr 7, 2016
Alstead, NH
I have lightly sanded the entire box with 220 grit using a palm sander and the irregular welds with steel wool so all the gloss is removed. I primed a few areas in the welds where I exposed some welds. If it ever stops raining I will spray it with Kubota rattlecan Orange II acrylic enamel. It is just a ballast box but it is little real effort to do this.