Paint Question

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
I have a B6100DT and would like to put some factory shine back on the old tractor.

Of course, cost is important too and it sounds like besides paint, the decals can be quite costly. I figure just repainting the rims and redo the blue frame would make a big difference!

I too live in Columbus, Ohio which has been a butt kicker this winter and has damped my wanting to work on the tractor...:mad:

I have attached several pictures on my project.

Enjoy the feedback and great advice!!

AK

Attachments

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have a B6100DT and would like to put some factory shine back on the old tractor.

Of course, cost is important too and it sounds like besides paint, the decals can be quite costly. I figure just repainting the rims and redo the blue frame would make a big difference!

I too live in Columbus, Ohio which has been a butt kicker this winter and has damped my wanting to work on the tractor...:mad:

I have attached several pictures on my project.

Enjoy the feedback and great advice!!

AK
Your tractor looks like she's been working hard. She is a beauty though, that's for sure!

Forgive my question, but what is the box on the front? At first I thought it was weights until I made the picture bigger.

Thanks,
Scott

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Scott,

Good question. The box on the front is a cover to a drive shaft from the engine with a centrifigal pulley to run the Woods belly mower. It looks kinda funny but actually I find it very helpful to protect the front of the tractor and the radiator. I have bumped into trees occasionly since I can't see the box when on the seat!

It could use some paint. Today, I stopped at the hardware store to get some sanding materials for the prep work.

Does anyone know what color Woods mowers use? My TSC has Kubota orange but didn't see any Woods yellow...

AK

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Scott,

Good question. The box on the front is a cover to a drive shaft from the engine with a centrifigal pulley to run the Woods belly mower. It looks kinda funny but actually I find it very helpful to protect the front of the tractor and the radiator. I have bumped into trees occasionly since I can't see the box when on the seat!

It could use some paint. Today, I stopped at the hardware store to get some sanding materials for the prep work.

Does anyone know what color Woods mowers use? My TSC has Kubota orange but didn't see any Woods yellow...

AK
Ok, I get it now! I can also see how that thing can help you mow by braille. Bumpity-Bump :D

I know it may not be the best thing to look at but maybe something like this might help. I've seen them at local auto parts stores and the base is a magnet. I've actually been thinking of getting them for hooking up trailers. Just stick one on that box :D

Scott

Last edited:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
AK I have seen the decals listed on Ebay reasonable check there a few days ago I also saw kubota paint on ebay also go there search Kubota b6100 the check box to search title description and click add stores beleive you will find something. Let me know. ALso thats a good looking 6100. My only regret is mine(b7100) is 2 wheel drive so it gets the job done I just have to take smaller bits. handy

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Well, I finally finished my spray can paint job on the old B6100DT. I have included an old before picture and several after pictures. I was amazed how easy it was to paint. The hardest part was prep. Now, since I recently bought a B7100 HST with a FEL and Tiller, I will be selling the little beast.

Thanks for the encouragement from all you fellow OTT members!

AK

Attachments

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
WOW - That tractor shure looks a world different with the new paint :eek:

What a wonderful job you did, conratulations are in order :D

I think if you sell it you will regret doing so in a couple of years.

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Thanks Traildust!

I really like the tractor for mowing and you are right, I will miss it!
:mad:

But basically, I need more ability to lift loads so I found a B7100 HST this last winter with a FEL(Winter is the best time to tractor shop). I have a woods and need help lifting trees when I chainsaw firewood. Also, I have a zero turn mower so I think if I can find a bush hog for the B7100, that would work better for me.

AK

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
AK,
I can understand having to keep the size of your fleet at a minimum.

Have you already picked up the B7100? Sounds like a sweet package with all it has. Do you have any plans on cleaning her up like you did with the B6100?

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Traildust and Vic,

That means a lot coming from you guys, I am not real handy in the garage but OTT spells out the details that makes you feel like a PRO.

I picked up this little beauty from a landscaper going out of biz sale($3500 US). This machine was mighty dirty - found 40 acres of dirt in the air and fuel filters!!!!:eek:

Probably a nice summer project. I seen some great ideas on this web site for adding such attachments as lights to the ROPS. :rolleyes:

More pictures to come...

AK

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Do you have a Tractor Supply near where you are? I have been using their tractor and equipment paint and had some pretty good success out of it. It's about 5.50 a can and my local store keeps the Old Kubota and the New Kubota orange in stock. I have used the Kubota paint as well and the biggest difference I see is the price.

These are some pics of some of the things I have fabricated in my shop for my tractor.
The canapy, step, hook plates, bale spear (I just set it on the back plate for this pic) and this basket.

All these things have a rattle can paint job. I think they match fairly well to the original paint color.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
By the way, I have the XO Rust paint codes for the original Blue/Gray on the early B series. I'll dig it out and post that to. Seems that Kubota dealers don't always carry that color.
I'm guessing that Kubota changed their 'Blue' somewhere along the line also? I bought a can from the local dealer and it looks different, but it shure is purty,. That and Valspar makes it look alright. Oh, and by the way, a 55 gallon drum provides nicely sized patch panels for the rim on a L275. Don't ask me how I know;)

MeRob

Equipment
snow removal and herding chipmunks on acreage
Nov 29, 2011
Oliver BC Canada
If you have access to a compressor...you could pick up a cheap sand blaster and try it out on a piece of scrap metal. Take your time and don't blast too hard. I find it easier than slopping chemicals all over and then having scrape the mess off later. Good Luck!

Rob