Overheated

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Was working on the farm last night, and all of a sudden the tractor started smoking violently, with radiator coolant boiling out of the reserve tank. I shut it down immediately of course, and let everything cool down. The problem, the fan belt came off. The belt didn't break, appears to be fine. I reinstalled the belt, replaced the lost fluid, and it seems to be good again.

Has anyone else had this happen? what can I do so It doesn't happen again?

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
Could it have gotten too loose? Is one of the pulleys bent?

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Have you checked your belt tension? I found mine needing adjustment about 270hrs in. Took less than 5 mins to tighten it up, good to go since.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would replace the belt ASAP. If it has broken a cord inside the belt it's going to do it again. ;)
A new belt might save you some real abuse down the line.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Seems a digital voltmeter would help one quickly see if the belt has let go. Going to start looking for one.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If the idea is to use a voltmeter to check voltage at the alternator terminals I think you'd do a lot better to use an analog (needle) type voltmeter.

Unless you go extreme high-end you're going to find the lesser digital meters commonly available are so poorly shielded that all the extraneous sparks arcs hums bad grounds and radio frequency outputted around an engine (incl electrical 'generator' in its various forms) will make the digital display dance like crazy. Hold the cheap meter near a fence charger or under your local overhead high-voltage power line (this follows holding a fluorescent tube in your hand under a HV line).

Try using an inexpensive digital meter in a room lit by fluorescent lights and it'll drive you nutty.

Simpson remains the best analog but not cheap, for the diagnostic you propose a $5 box store or Harbor Freight meter would work great.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.