Nothing beats hands-on, let him use your real one to learn on. :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I doubt that Green Toy will teach junior anything about Runs with Scissors “BOHICA” events. 🤣

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I doubt that Green Toy will teach junior anything about Runs with Scissors “BOHICA” events. 🤣
Unfortunately, "life" will soon enough I suppose.... :)

And if he joins the Marines, BOHICA events involving the Big Green Weenie will be common place. 😂

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I remember having a COE dump truck kind of like that when I was a kid about 4 years old. Of course mine had a wooden body and the bolts and studs and screws were regular steel. It came with a pair of steel wrenches and a screwdriver that was just a normal flat screwdriver. Wheels on one side had right hand threads and the other side had left hand threads. It was actually a pretty cool way to introduce basic wrenching to a pre-schooler. The old Ford N and the 196 straight six in my dad’s 1966 Nova were the next steps. They weren’t much more complicated.

To make it up to date now it should not only be plastic, but should come with a small battery powered impact driver (does any mechanic use a flat wrench these days unless there’s no alternative?) and an app so the kid can blue tooth connect it to their smart phone. The app could be a game that throws codes and the kid then has to fix whatever the code says to fix. If he fixes it right, he can sync the parts to the ECU and clear the codes.

For a little more realism, if the kid doesn’t have a smart phone and app it’s impossible to fix. Take a part off and put it right back where it came from and it locks the wheels so it won’t roll at all until you run the sync with the ECU through the app.

To make it REALLY realistic, give the kid a $15/month allowance. Let him be excited about being rich until the end of the first month when you charge him $10/month for the app. If he complains about the $10/month, just tell him he owns the tractor but can only rent the software to run it and since he bought the tractor he’s obligated to $10/month in perpetuity. See how much he likes wrenching after that.

Of course he could have the dealer fix it by paying $100 to put a $5 part on a $50 tractor plus $10 each way to have mom drop it off and pick it up since he’s too young to drive. And it would be gone for two months until it came up in line to do a half day job.

On second thought, it’s a cool toy and still a neat way to introduce basic wrenching to a little kid. As he grows up there will be plenty of time for “reality”.