Opinions please

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I have a bx2350 with a 60" mmm. I bought the tractor used with about 400 hours on the clock about 4 or 5 years ago. From the time I bought it, I have not liked the mower. It does a horrible job mowing. I have adjusted, sharpened, leveled, the deck I don't know how may times. It refuses to pick up grass behind the wheels. When I'm done mowing, it looks like I've mowed it at different heights. If I have to use a lawn sweeper, it's even worse looking. the grass from behind the wheels is about a 1" or better higher than the middle blade. The discharge side is the worst by far. I've put high lift blades with no real improvement, Gator blades are currently on the mower and they have shown the most improvement. Only thing I haven't done is to put a straight edge across the bottom ends of the spindles to see if the blades are actually at the same elevations. I mow about 3 acres every 4 or 5 days.

With the exception of cracked plastic fenders/hood, whiplash every time you stop when backing up, I really like the little guy. I've got over 1,000 hours on it now and it runs great, but I'm to the point, I have figured 4 options.

1. Junk the deck and buy a new one
  2. junk the deck and by a 3 point finish mower
  3. trade the entire thing off for a John Deere 1023R (I don't like their subcompacts, but they do a much nicer finish job. There are 2 in town, one being my neighbor).
  4. junk the deck and buy a zero turn and keep the tractor for moving snow and loader work.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a bx2350 with a 60" mmm. I bought the tractor used with about 400 hours on the clock about 4 or 5 years ago. From the time I bought it, I have not liked the mower. It does a horrible job mowing. I have adjusted, sharpened, leveled, the deck I don't know how may times. It refuses to pick up grass behind the wheels. When I'm done mowing, it looks like I've mowed it at different heights. If I have to use a lawn sweeper, it's even worse looking. the grass from behind the wheels is about a 1" or better higher than the middle blade. The discharge side is the worst by far. I've put high lift blades with no real improvement, Gator blades are currently on the mower and they have shown the most improvement. Only thing I haven't done is to put a straight edge across the bottom ends of the spindles to see if the blades are actually at the same elevations. I mow about 3 acres every 4 or 5 days.

With the exception of cracked plastic fenders/hood, whiplash every time you stop when backing up, I really like the little guy. I've got over 1,000 hours on it now and it runs great, but I'm to the point, I have figured 4 options.

1. Junk the deck and buy a new one
  2. junk the deck and by a 3 point finish mower
  3. trade the entire thing off for a John Deere 1023R (I don't like their subcompacts, but they do a much nicer finish job. There are 2 in town, one being my neighbor).
  4. junk the deck and buy a zero turn and keep the tractor for moving snow and loader work.
I'm not a fan of suspended decks for multiple reasons.

How tall is the grass that you are attempting to mow and how closely are you attempting to mow it?

Are you mowing at recommended engine RPM?

How fast are you traveling?

Are you attempting to mow wet grass?

If you do not like a MMM, you will like a three point mounted deck even less.

SDT

Last edited:

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
All good questions

1. 3" or 4" inches tall. I have my deck set on 3, but it mows much shorter than 3"
  2. Yes, mowing at 3,200 rpm
  3. I mowed wide open in low side, and about halfway in high side. made no difference
  4. grass was dry.
I used to have a belly mower on a 1948 VAC Case that did a great job. Would have kept it if it had live PTO and 3 point and power steering.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How long does it take you to mow 3 acres on the bx? If my ground was smooth and open that would be maybe an hour on the zero turn.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Since you've tried different blades already, I'm sure this would apply to you but...
...I'm not implying anything but I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't see it for myself.

Are the blades on the right way up?

A neighbor brought his husky rider to me to 'sharpen' the blades. He said he hit a rock and bent one. All 3 blades we're bent down enough to use as a tiller! He insisted he didn't want to spend money on new ones so I did what I could to make them straight again (against my better judgement). When I went to bolt them back up, I realized by the dirt marks, they were originally mounted upside down!

Hopefully someone here can help with more than just a story.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
All good questions

1. 3" or 4" inches tall. I have my deck set on 3, but it mows much shorter than 3"
  2. Yes, mowing at 3,200 rpm
  3. I mowed wide open in low side, and about halfway in high side. made no difference
  4. grass was dry.
I used to have a belly mower on a 1948 VAC Case that did a great job. Would have kept it if it had live PTO and 3 point and power steering.
One thing to ponder: The suspended deck as used on the BX series has little grass clearance. This is necessary to provide adequate ground clearance when the deck is lifted.

Grass clearance is necessary to allow a deck to clear cut grass properly.

That said, given your symptoms, increased grass clearance would likely produce little improvement, but reduced ground speed might.

The terrain following deck as used on my B1750 and other B series tractors has much more grass clearance. I am very fond of this deck but it too will leave wheel tracks if the ground speed is too high, the grass is too tall (or wet), the engine RPM is too low, or some combination of the preceding.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Since you've tried different blades already, I'm sure this would apply to you but...
...I'm not implying anything but I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't see it for myself.

A neighbor brought his husky rider to me to 'sharpen' the blades. He said he hit a rock and bent one. All 3 blades we're bent down enough to use as a tiller! He insisted he didn't want to spend money on new ones so I did what I could to make them straight again (against my better judgement). When I went to bolt them back up, I realized by the dirt marks, they were originally mounted upside down!

Hopefully someone here can help with more than just a story.
Interesting.

I took delivery of a new 15' bat wing mower about 2 months ago. It had the incorrect gearbox on the right side, causing the spindle to rotate backward.

You can imagine how poorly it mowed on the right.

SDT

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
How long does it take you to mow 3 acres on the bx? If my ground was smooth and open that would be maybe an hour on the zero turn.

2 1/2 hours without trimming with the string trimmer. Not a lot of trees to mow around.

yes, they are installed correctly. I've owned many mowers of the years. some cut better than others, but not as poorly as this one.

I was out mowing tonight and I mowed about an inch off the top max at the worst. If photos would show what it looks like, I'd take some, but it just does a poor job of cutting grass. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I go.

I should clarify that the belt is tight and in good shape. spindles seem to spin fine without any hint of bad bearings.

I'm extremely frustrated to say the least. I've mowed this lawn with 4 different lawn mowers over the years. This deck is by far the most disappointing. Had I know how poorly it mowed, I probably would have bought a different tractor.......based on mower deck alone.

old Crapsman rider
Scotts Lawn Tractor
'48 VAC / belly mower
Bx2350.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I vote for getting the zero turn if the tractor does your other needs. Zero turn only does one thing but does it very well.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Choose option 4, then wonder why you waited so long....;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I vote for getting the zero turn if the tractor does your other needs. Zero turn only does one thing but does it very well.
I second that. Once I got a zero turn everything else was chopped liver.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I have a 2008 Exmark 52” Zero Turn. I have had 0 issues until late last year. The cut was terrible, all three blades were uneven, and it was terribly loud. I removed the deck and replaced everything from spindles, belts, blades, all bearings etc, finding all my parts online for about $300. I am now mowing the same yard in 2 hours that used to take 3. The grass is level and cuts extremely nice. I would suggest removing deck entirely and inspect each piece. If all looks well leave it off and by a zero turn. You will save so much time mowing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There HAS to be 'something' odd about your MMM. It can't be common o not cut properly otherwise there'd be a LOT of chatter about it here and all over the Net. Has to be 10s of 1,000s of them used daily.....
Others will know for sure, but is the deck the same for any BX23xxx or special for yours? Maybe see the local dealer and ask about it. I've seen the upside down blade before though without seeing the tractor and deck it's had to say what is really wrong. ANY chance the belt is going wrong way ??
Before spending 1,000s of a ZT, I'd spend 200 ? and have the dealer 'setup' the deck. That way if it still doesn't cut right HE has to figure it out.

when you get it sorted out, please post WHAT is was....

Jay

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Zero turn is the way to go if you mow that much. I finally switched over a few years ago and have never looked back.

However, I must agree with Jay... there is something wrong with your deck. It should be able to do what you want. I had a 60" suspended deck on a 23 hp B2320, and it worked good. A few things come to mind that you could check easy enough:
- Bent spindles?
- bolts loose on spindles or mounted cock-eyed (crap or weld under the flange when it was installed)?
- bad bearing on spindles?
- idlers not keeping tension (stretch out or broken spring; or pivot that no longer moves freely)?
- idler bearing shot?
- deck tilted up in the front to much (would lose lift/suction especially on the discharge side)?
- is the gear box operating properly (oil and oil level is good, bearings good, no obvious grinding or roughness when turning by hand)?
- Missing baffles (did you buy new or used?)

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Another thought, Are the blades the correct part number? Some blades are designed to have more lift. There are after market blades that might work better.

And make sure that the underside of the deck is clean. The air flow under the deck is what makes things work or not.

And as stated by others, a zero turn would be the best way to go. Just make sure you get one that can be repaired cheaply. I know a guy that bought a used Toro ZTR. The hydro unit on the right is having issues. They are sealed drive units, no way to check or add fluid if or when needed. Will cost him around $1,200 for the right side drive.

Digger

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Thanks for the replies. I'd like a zero turn. Have to add on again to keep it inside.

Not sure if you can see by the photos, but the first photo is tonight's mowing. The photo over the hood is 6 days of growth. The darker is normal wheel tracks and is about an inch higher than between.

I'm going to remove the deck this weekend and try to ascertain if all three spindles are true to each other.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
All of your options are good.
I myself use a 3 point finish and am very impressed with the cut. I like the fact that the rear discharge eliminates wind rows.
But I also use a lawn tractor for trimming around many objects, after I use a string trimmer for trees, etc.
I do use a mower when it's too wet to drive the tractor on my lawn. This is usually in spring before things dry up but it still needs to be cut. This year we have had a lot of rain so the lawn tractor is getting more use.
I intend to purchase a zero-turn in the near future. If that works well I may use the tractor less for mowing and more for loader work. We'll see.
If your property is relatively smooth the zero-turn will make short work of your mowing chores.
But you are on the right track with your 4 options. I am sure that you will choose the right path based on your usage and needs.

Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If you do not like a MMM, you will like a three point mounted deck even less.

SDT
Why do you think that? I have a 3 point and it is fantastic. A 3 point keeps the noise, the flying grass away from the operator and a bonus is no wind rows because of the wide rear discharge. I can't see a comparison between MMM and 3 point other than they both cut grass.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You have to love a MMM to use one! They restrict all functions of your tractor when it's under there, other than mowing.

i agree with Missouribound, a mower in the back has the benefits he listed, but you also have the choice of various types of rear mowers, and all can be removed easily and quickly.

I have a 7' flail I use at the farm and it will mow so nice you'd think it was done with something REAL fancy.