operating rear pto

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
I just purchased a 2008 Kubota L3240 HST tractor with a backhoe attachment. The owners manual is on the way, but until then I am having a fairly straight forward problem. When I engage the rear PTO, I put the tractor in neutral, set the parking brake, but when I leave the drivers seat, the tractor's safety switch in the seat cuts the motor out. There must be a way to bypass this to be able the leave the seat to go operate the backhoe. Is anyone familar with this tractor to walk me through this?

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I just purchased a 2008 Kubota L3240 HST tractor with a backhoe attachment. The owners manual is on the way, but until then I am having a fairly straight forward problem. When I engage the rear PTO, I put the tractor in neutral, set the parking brake, but when I leave the drivers seat, the tractor's safety switch in the seat cuts the motor out. There must be a way to bypass this to be able the leave the seat to go operate the backhoe. Is anyone familar with this tractor to walk me through this?
I know this may be a really dumb question, but do you really need the PTO ingaged to run the backhoe? I thought it was plumbed into the hydraulics off the tractor :confused:

Scott

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
If your backhoe hydraulics are integrated into the tractor hydraulics i.e. through quick disconnects and NO HYDRAULIC PUMP attached to the rear PTO.... then no the rear PTO need ont be engaiuged. If per chance you have a free standing backhoe with its own hydrolic oil reserve and pump attached to the rear PTO shaft.... then yes you DO need the rear PTO engauged.

If that is the case you're goung to have to disable the "dead man's switch" on the seat....

Guys.... chime in here for confirmation:eek:
Butch

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys check my spelling in my last post... and it ain't o-beer:30 yet.... :eek:

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
My backhoe has its own pump and the pto drives the pump. Do I need to disconnect the dead mans switch or is there another way to disable it?

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
I think the seat needs to be down and have weight enough to complete the circuit. I could pull the wire off to bypass the switch but because the previous owner didn't do this and he used the backhoe, I figured there was another way.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sometimes the kill switch is not under the seat, alot of times they put the switch in the buckle side of the seat belt. So try and leave the seat belt hooked and see what that does. I know when I drove a tandem axle flatbed truck it had a piggyback forklift on the rear and its kill switch was in the seat belt. You could start the lift but not do anything else unless the seat belt was hooked.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
The switch is pressure senseitive and either makes the ignition circuit or breaks it depending on the safety circuit. In any case the switch will have to be dealt with if the "tush" leaves the operator's seat.
On way would be to install a manual switch that circumvents the safety switch... but my money is on just disconnecting it....

My motto is to keep it simple..... Butch

Foisy

Equipment
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
Hey, thanks everyone. Bruce, you had it right with the seat raising idea. I finally got the manual today. The proper method is: parking brake on, shift to neutral, raise seat, engage PTO. If you engage the PTO and then raise the seat, the motor cuts out. Amazing what can happen when you read the manual. Thanks again guys. I expect to be using this forum a lot being a newbie to tractors.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Hey, thanks everyone. Bruce, you had it right with the seat raising idea. I finally got the manual today. The proper method is: parking brake on, shift to neutral, raise seat, engage PTO. If you engage the PTO and then raise the seat, the motor cuts out. Amazing what can happen when you read the manual. Thanks again guys. I expect to be using this forum a lot being a newbie to tractors.

Good to hear you got it figured out. Have fun with that backhoe.

Scott