OPC~Seat Switch

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Hello,

MX4700. The tractor has the 'operator presence control' or seat switch that will shut the tractor down if moving and it senses no presence on seat. I am having a problem with the tractor shutting down when I twist in the seat to look behind the tractor as in monitoring rear implement or hitching up an implement. I don't know how this switch works, but I would like to be able to adjust or move it enough, or to a better spot, so that I could turn in the seat and not have the tractor shut down. This is a bit irritating for me and probably not good for the tractor. It is HST and I have to contort just a bit to control motion and actually see the drawbar or 3pt hitch behind me.

Suggestions or information appreciated.

Wxman

semi42

Jun 21, 2011
uk
it really depends on the switch system, some are inside the seat base some are connected to the seat suspension system..these ones are easy, just adjust the spring rate . sometimes the switches in the seat base are positioned near the front so when reversing or moving around the seat its better to shimmy your but to the front of the seat base.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Disconnect the darn thing.
Makes one wonder whay these switches are used, When you take into consideration that automobiles do not have any type of switch that shuts down the engine when there is no operator prescence and then look at the ratio of automobiles(includes cars,trucks,suvs,motorcycles,etc) versus the relatively small amount tractors it does not make much sense.

I disable them on my personal equipment and hook them back up if I sell them

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Thanks. I was looking for how to do this, but it sounds like they are not all the same. I don't see any wires going into the seat itself. There is an obvious lever type switch that is depressed when the the seat is down, and up when the seat is folded forward. I guessed that switch told the PTO whether the seat was folded forward or not. If it is simple two position switch then it isn't determining simple operator presence. Guess I will need to pull apart some of the wiring and see if this switch does more than I guessed.

Wxman

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I had the same prob with my L3400. Mine had a lever under the seat. I zip tied it down, no more problem.

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
Thanks. I was looking for how to do this, but it sounds like they are not all the same. I don't see any wires going into the seat itself. There is an obvious lever type switch that is depressed when the the seat is down, and up when the seat is folded forward. I guessed that switch told the PTO whether the seat was folded forward or not. If it is simple two position switch then it isn't determining simple operator presence. Guess I will need to pull apart some of the wiring and see if this switch does more than I guessed.

Wxman
I have the same problem but it is not the seat switch because the PTO continues to rotate whether I am on the seat or not. What does hang up is the PTO safety hookup on the PTO lever itself ( right side of wheel). I disconnected the two wires and plugged them into themselves and it started right away now it doesn't turn over at all. The ignition lights and dash lights turn on with the key on but the engine does not turn over. Battery is good. It is hard to believe that two little wires control the whole contraption. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have never had a Kubota with a seat switch, but have disconnected one on my dixie chopper lawn mower, and bypassed one on an older gravely. You really have to hook up a test light, and see how the switch works. The ones I worked on were normally closed, when you got off or farted, 2 wire, on the gravely, and merely grounded out the ignition. All I did on that one was pull the connector off, and make a loop of wire, to connect the 2 wires. On the DC, the dealer told me "whatever you do, don't pull this wire connector off of the seat switch, and tie it out of the way of moving parts" Where is that winking smilie thingy?:confused:

Oh, and I still have all the appendages that I was born with!:D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Wxman,

Try bending the seat switch bracket up so the switch makes better contact with the seat. I bent mine on my 3800 and I can wiggle and not shut the machine down.

Flimsy seats....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wxman,

Try bending the seat switch bracket up so the switch makes better contact with the seat. I bent mine on my 3800 and I can wiggle and not shut the machine down.

Flimsy seats....
I would hope that in the 4 years that have past, that he figured something out. ;)

You have been caught in the classic, "someone dug up a long dead post". :eek:

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Im sorry but I still want to hear the end of the story too !! I have a whopping .5 hours on my new tractor and I have killed the engine twice just moving around in the seat and this is not acceptable.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Wolfman,

I feel so dirty. I feel used. :) LOL

SOLUTION TO STUPID SEAT SWITCH (SSS) SHUTDOWNS!!!!

1. Raise seat and locate (SSS)
2. Grab SSS and bend bracket out so switch is closer to seat (So what its a little crooked. We won't tell on you...)
3. Enjoy remainder of life without annoying SSS shutdown!!!!

-And before anyone starts wailing on Kubota Japan for this one, the seat and SSS are part of the collection of parts manufactured and installed here in the USofA. The Kubota company (Kubota USA) really needs to make stronger seats or come up with a better switch assembly that touches the CENTER of the seat. I'd be working and lean over to check clearance on my right wheel and the machine would quit. Just STUPID!!!

Now that the bracket is bent out another 1/4 inch, I don't have the problem anymore. They obviously need to make the swing arm longer of the bracket taller...

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well now that the thread is reactivated, I'll put in my 2 cents worth, as I had to solve a similar problem. I wasn't heavy enough, especially when it was cold to activate the switch, so the tractor would start but died when I tried to go forward, giving the opc error code. The dealer actually showed me how to fix it. There are 2 safety switches in the seat on mine. The one that is easy to get to and that you see when you lift up the seat has something to do with the pto. The one that may be causing you grief is inside the seat. A piece of cardboard stuffed up inside the switch structure solves the problem. I think the seat and padding are stiffer when you first climb on. It actually is completely defeated at the moment, but he said when the cardboard broke down it would work as intended. To get to it you have to lift up the seat and take off the bottom plate.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Zombie threads happen when folks actually use the search function to find out data and then post about them... so they are good in a way. It means someone is actually searching!

bheineck

Equipment
L4740
May 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There are 2 safety switches in the seat on mine. The one that is easy to get to and that you see when you lift up the seat has something to do with the pto. The one that may be causing you grief is inside the seat. A piece of cardboard stuffed up inside the switch structure solves the problem. I think the seat and padding are stiffer when you first climb on. It actually is completely defeated at the moment, but he said when the cardboard broke down it would work as intended. To get to it you have to lift up the seat and take off the bottom plate.
This stuff is a PITA especially when it is cold out. I didn't know there was a second switch. A stiff cold seat and a second switch inside the seat would explain why I couldn't get the tractor to move a little with the seat up and me holding down the exposed switch. I even unhooked the switch and threw it on my truck heater vent thinking warming it up would help it out. It didn't. I think a second switch may indeed be the culprit. I'll have to try the cardboard once I find it. Nothing wrong with old threads resurfacing if somebody has a similar problem though starting a new thread works also, but separates the knowledge.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I keep hearing about two switches ?? Do they do different things, I guess it is admitting I have not read my manual yet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is not really in the manual anywhere, or at least not how it works. I first tried to outfox mine by taping two layers of plastic milk carton to the seat above the switch since it seemed to be a weight problem. Nada. Called dealer and he said yup, that won't work. Kubota got clever and put the position sensor for the rolling forward inside the seat. I think the other visible one is supposed to shut off the pto, it gives you 30 sec or something similar to tip the seat forward before it shuts down. You can use the pto without sitting down, you just have to tip the seat forward. At least on the 3560 it is like that. And now I can lean way off to the side to get the 72 inch bucket into a 78 inch door.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I can't remember the exact structure of the switch, but the piece of cardboard that fit was a circle about 2 inches in diameter.