OOPS! dual clutch l2550

st peter

Equipment
l 2550
Mar 14, 2024
greetings,installed a new clutch,went in after some work.Now the engine cranks real slow, not enouf to start,tried swapping battery same thing.Gotta feeling something is hanging up in assembly.Moves fine in neutral, put pliers on the front engine pto,turns very tight.Anybody know what I did? the rookie St Pete

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you pull the flywheel off?

Is it a manual shift tractor?
If so put the tractor in gear, push in the clutch, and see if when you crank it, it moves?

st peter

Equipment
l 2550
Mar 14, 2024
Yes flywheel removed and faced.Tractor went together 2 turns on each bolt.not a slide right in.Had the tractor in neutral,started hard barely,engine lug then a shut down.I re split,ran the motor no lug no shutdown,so I figure in the clutch somewhere.Adjusted the 3 pto plate screws to.39" they were off,plare not moving in assembly,Also concerned about 3 plate/throw out bearing arms, real stiff ,so was the pedal.When you attach the assembly to the flywheel they compress a lot at 20lb torque.Got a hang up somewhere or maybe shouldent bought a $300 unit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes flywheel removed and faced.Tractor went together 2 turns on each bolt.not a slide right in.Had the tractor in neutral,started hard barely,engine lug then a shut down.I re split,ran the motor no lug no shutdown,so I figure in the clutch somewhere.Adjusted the 3 pto plate screws to.39" they were off,plare not moving in assembly,Also concerned about 3 plate/throw out bearing arms, real stiff ,so was the pedal.When you attach the assembly to the flywheel they compress a lot at 20lb torque.Got a hang up somewhere or maybe shouldent bought a $300 unit.
Your first statement is a HUGE OH NO.
You can NOT face a Kubota flywheel, especially when your dealing with a 2 stage clutch.
It changes the dimensions too much, and will make it when you can not disengage the clutch.

Now for the good news, that's not your issue.
Your issue is something is wrong with the clutch pack.
Either there is a setup or a manufacture error in the clutch or possibly an installation issue if the inside disk is installed backwards.
Hopefully where ever you got it has a good return policy.
When you get a 2 stage clutch pack you should not have to adjust anything, should be a direct bolt on.

Now this is a long shot, but on some models it's possible to put the throw-out bearing on backwards which will make the clutch hard to press and will mess with everything.

You should not have to have forced it together, it should slide right together.
Sometimes during assembly the clutch disks are not lined up and a quick pop of the clutch pedal will loosen it right up on assembly.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Yup one or 2 turns at a time.They suppos to slide right in?
When pushing the tractor back together you should not need any fasteners to do so. If everything is right they will slide together to the point of the housings touching. They don't always slide back together easily but it should not take any more and pushing the two pieces together. Sometimes they slide right together if you have everything perfect. If not it may take a little adjusting to get the two halves lined up.My guess is if you pulled it together with bolts something was not lined up properly. You could have damaged the clutch as well as the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user