One of the best times of my life

DavyW

Equipment
BX2370, Z422 and L2501
Aug 29, 2016
Newport, NC, USA
I have been a member of OTT since August of 2016 and have not had a lot time to enjoy the site or my BX2370 but that is about to change.... I have decided to retire early from my career in Logistics and this Friday is my last day at work. I am 56 years old and taking a leap of faith that we have the finances to make this work.

After being saved by our savior Jesus Christ, marrying my wife of 33 years, and the birth of our daughter 31 years ago, this is a wonderful time in my like.

I am looking forward to spending more time fishing, more time on the Kubota and working on home projects. As I move into this next stage in my life, look for more posts and questions from me.

Thanks...Davy

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Congrats on your retirement Davy, you are about to begin the best job you ever had lol. I retired 2 years ago at 54 years old and it was the best decision I ever made. Have fun, stay busy and all will be well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have decided to retire early from my career in Logistics and this Friday is my last day at work.
Congratulations!

I'm 53 and 30 years into my job. Hoping 55 will work to make the same step.

I certainly hope all works out, including the tractor!

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Now the REAL boss will put you to work! :D
Congrats and best wishes on your retirement.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Many of my retired friends are too busy to relax. Others are hard core relaxed, travelling and only spending summere here.
Doubt i can ever retire,there is always something to do. People will keep bringing me stuff to fix.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding, I did it after spending half my life underground catching bad guys,, it was pretty nice,, though I still wake up at 0400 :D

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Outstanding, I did it after spending half my life underground catching bad guys,, it was pretty nice,, though I still wake up at 0400 :D
You worked in the subway? [emoji1]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Hey Skeets, I think I was In your neighborhood before. We had, (my son) a football game there. Do the Steelers use a field there? Seemed a small town but nice enough. Other friends are from Greensburgh and Pitts. I worked for PPG.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hey Davy: I hope all goes well and ,keep busy. Too many think that they will be busy, but get bogged down with TV watching and such. Not long after that there is a funeral. In my case my job was a fun thing, self employed civil engineer. Every day was different and generally very rewarding. At age 88 i still work some on these things and wish I could keep going going on engineering things. That's the beauty of starting on a career that always was fun.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep they use the collage field at St Vincent's out side Greensburgh thats about an hour away right out Rt 30. I did a stint with mother Consol and then a long stint with the gubermint.
Yes its pretty up that way in the fall and at Story Book Forest Im not sure of the day but its after the last holiday in the summer, they have the highland games a good time for all

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Good for you Davy!

I unexpectedly retired "early" at 55. I have never been so busy in all my life! BUT, its all stuff I want to do, so doing it is fun. I have new hobbies ahead that I have always wanted to try -like welding and steel fabrication.

I unexpectedly became a "general contractor" after we bought a house that needed some "work." That got me a Kubota and that brought me to this site. Life has a funny way of changing on you.

Some people live to work. My philosophy was the opposite: I worked to live. That meant, when I retired after flying for 31 years, I barely had to change gears. I had tons of interests to keep me busy. Some guys I worked with could literally not cope with not having a job to go to. That is so weird to me I cannot comprehend what that mindset is like.

Go enjoy life. You worked hard, now reap the rewards of your hard work.

:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ray you know somedays I hate being retired,, I dont ever seem to have time to do the things I want to do

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ray you know somedays I hate being retired,, I dont ever seem to have time to do the things I want to do
Boy, I can sure identify with that. When I first retired, I didn't have enough time to do all the things I wanted, mainly because I have so many hobbies, interests, and "bucket list" items. But it was a good situation to be in.
Now that we have become primary caregivers, financial custodians, house, car, yards, & appliance repair & service people for the inlaws, I don't have time or energy for anything I want to do.:(
Thanks for letting me vent, snivel off.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
My dad has always been a good man, but he was surly and a bit moody when I was a kid. He retired at 55 and almost immediately became one of the kindest men you could ever meet. I credit that to his not dealing with the stresses of his profession. After retirement he started a handyman business and for the past 25 years he stays just busy enough, and is still going strong.

Flipside, my father-in-law worked until they kicked him out of the office. He had amassed a very nice retirement income, but sat around the house with no plan. He had a stroke in his second year of retirement, and died a couple of years later. He too was a good man, but respectfully, I want the life my father had after his retirement for my wife and I.

I have a few more years, but can't wait for the day. Congratulations, I envy you all that have been able to move

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My heart goes out to you guys who are caregivers. Be careful not to let it suck the life out of you. At some point in their minds you cross the bridge from daughter or son to "caregiver" and they place more value in what you can do for them than who you are. As their minds go, its easy for them to make that switch. Its much harder for the caregiver. They will truly demand everything if you don't watch out for your own health.

My wife and I were caregivers to my mom and dad as well as my wife's parents. All-totalled, we did that for 17 years... My wife's mom passed away a year and a half ago and we are finally free to enjoy the rest of our lives.

In the ten years her mom was out here, my wife put 80,000 mi on our 4Runner mostly running up and down to take her to appointments or go help her. With 180k on the clock, we are going to buy one more car that will hopefully be our last. My "new" car is a 2000 with 98K on the clock but it looks brand new.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Day one of retirement!!
Bet it feels great!
My best friend is retiring in about 3 years,im figuring he will step into my shop and help out with some of my projects. Looking forward to the future. I want to keep working until my wife retires,12 more years.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
DavyW- Congratulations on your retirement, and forgive me for not saying so earlier.:eek:
CaveCreekRay- Thanks for the advice, sympathy & a little perspective. We haven't been at this anything like 17 years, and I guess there's always someone in a worse situation than you, just hearing that helps. Thanks.