Older Kubota L Series 4WD

timism74

Equipment
L185DT
May 18, 2015
Indiana
Hello,

I am new to the site and new to 4wd (four wheel Drive) tractors. I just purchased an L185DT and had a few questions about the 4wd operation. The main question is; when you put this in 4wd by pulling back on the lever, does it lower the gear range? When I put mine in low and 4wd it will barely move, it still pushes fine, but SUPER slow.. If I put it in Hi and 4wd it runs about the same speeds as low 2wd.. Also, where is the diff lock on these tractors, and if anyone has photos that would be awesome!!!

Thanks!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Diff lock, if it has one, is almost always by your right foot, usually near the gear case or differential. Just a little lever you can push down on with your foot.

I don't know about the range change with the 4WD. Generally they don't work like that but it's possible to do, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it geared itself down.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Can you post some pics of your levers to the right and left of the seat?

Hi/low range select lever is gonna be to the left of your seat. Should be a fairly long lever. Not to bad to reach on the fly. 4wd selector is gonna be a short lever tucked down low and will be harder to reach.

Differential lock is low on the floor board by your right heal as your sitting on it. It's just a small piece of round stock that you press down with your heal.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No the 4wd engagement does not change the ratio.
Sounds like your moving another range lever. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you want the manual send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address and I can send you a PDF of the manual.

The 4WD lever is longer and more vertical. The high low gear lever is more horizontal and shorter, attaches higher on the side of the tractor.

Also on the differential lock - do not have the tire spinning before you push it down. Push in the clutch, slow the engine speed down, then push down on the differential lock pedal and slowly let out the clutch. The differential pin will then engage and not be snapped off. Then you can power up the engine.

timism74

Equipment
L185DT
May 18, 2015
Indiana
Thanks Guys! Russell, I will take you up on that and PM you. Thanks a ton.

I figured out the diff lock. Now I am confused about the Hi/low selector in the center, and the red hi/low selector on the left side. I assume the lower black one on the left hand side is the 4wd. The manual should clear all this up for me.

I took a few pictures of the shifters this morning before work. Sorry the pictures kind of suck, It was pretty dark in the shed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The shifter on top of the transmission mounted sideways is your creeper gear. It's a second hi/low range and will drop you into super slow speeds. The red handle by your seat should be the main hi/low shifter. And the other shifter next to it should be for the 4wd :D

Are you sure it's not an l1501dt instead of an l185dt? Check the tag on the side of the transmission by the clutch pedal. Should have a serial number, model number and horsepower rating

timism74

Equipment
L185DT
May 18, 2015
Indiana
Awesome! I appreciate the clarification on the levers! Man, the creeper gears in that thing are LOW.......

I will check the data plate tonight and let you guys know for sure. Thanks for all the help! I am very worried about it being a 1501 and parts availability. Anyone else been able to source parts for these easily? The thing runs great, but we all know how tractors are and it will need parts at some point.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
On mine the lever you refer to is the hi-lo range selector (sounds like it is on yours too.). My FWD is a U-shaped affair that I either pull up or pull down. They are close together. The differential lock is at my right heel.

Mine's a 1989 model.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's not too bad locating parts for the l1501, It's around 85% l185 :D If you haven't done so, go to www.kubotabooks.com and download the parts manual for the l185.

Just an fyi. Your tractor has 16 forward speeds and 3 reverse. In creeper mode you only have one reverse. So if it won't go into reverse while in creeper mode just switch the hi/low shifter to your left into the opposite position. ;)

timism74

Equipment
L185DT
May 18, 2015
Indiana
All,

Thanks again! The tractor is an l1501. I verified on the data plate. I guess I will start researching these 1501's. I hope I don't have trouble finding parts for this thing, being a bit of an odd tractor for the USA. I am going to try to figure out what exactly is different between the 1501 and the 185. I know the 1501 is a lower horse power, but is the bore and stroke the same etc.

Thanks again for all your support with this awesome little tractor.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
All,

Thanks again! The tractor is an l1501. I verified on the data plate. I guess I will start researching these 1501's. I hope I don't have trouble finding parts for this thing, being a bit of an odd tractor for the USA. I am going to try to figure out what exactly is different between the 1501 and the 185. I know the 1501 is a lower horse power, but is the bore and stroke the same etc.

Thanks again for all your support with this awesome little tractor.
The majority of the tractor is l185, engine, rear end, hydraulics, bearings, seals, steering, clutch, ect..... Amost positive that the front end is as well. I'm thinking that the only difference between the l185 and l1501 is the transmission/ pto. Fixing to dive into rear axle seals on my l1501 and a quick pm to service dept vic confirmed my thinking that the rear end parts I needed are the same as an l185

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Looking at your pics and remembering my old L185dt

Top of tranny on mine was F/R to the left
1-4 on the right

and the small lever was for the PTO speed 1000 or 540 RPM

To the left side were the 4x4 lever the smaller one
and the Hi/Low the longer one

Been 3 plus years since I had it but that is how I remember it

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Tim,

Just remember that when you have a lower hp motor, gears are what let you do the work. If you didn't have that "Granny" range, you'd be toast trying to really grunt something heavy or draggy.

From the experienced crowd here: Don't lug your motor unless driving around unloaded. Keep the RPMs up when doing work and, if you are in a higher range and it starts to lug a bit, shift down into the next lowest range.

My machine only has 37hp but in low range, I can spin all four tires trying to pull. Gears are pretty amazing.

Welcome.

Ray

timism74

Equipment
L185DT
May 18, 2015
Indiana
Hey guys! Thanks for all your support! I have one more quick question that one of you may be able to answer. What were the stock tire sizes for the L1501DT models? I have done a ton of searching and found nothing specific. Mine has 8.3-22 in the rear and 4-16 in the front. I think the fronts have been changed and want to make sure the 4wd ratio has not been messed up.

Thanks again guys!

Peartwater

Equipment
L1501
Oct 20, 2016
Taunton Somerset uk
Hello Chaps
I was looking for information on L1501 controls and came across this thread
I found this very helpful and useful.
I am in sunny Somerset in the UK, just thought I would show my appreciation for people taking there time to help.
Ta