OK in the garage and a thought

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was wondering if anyone in here has ever taken a gas powered log splitter and put a 240 volt motor on it for power.
OH and I dont remember who it was that posted a link for new honda carburetor and gaskets, if you could PM please,,,, No it still aint running,,,, grrrrrrrrrrr

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
GoogleAdServices? My browser blocked it. I knew it would.

Direct links are best.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I don't see why you couldn't swap an electric motor. So long as it is the same rpm. Might even be able to use less hp since it would have so much more tq under load.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm relatively sure it's possible Skeets.

I think it would be a cool project.

Off the top of my head, all you really need to do is find a motor capable of running the pump, and figure out how to connect them and how to best mount it. (i.e. make adaptor plates ).

Just as an aside, I have a little "toy" electric splitter and have been amazed at it's capability.

I think it was like 300 bucks and I have been thoroughly impressed by it.

I really enjoy the "quiet'ness" of the electric motor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW , it's a common to replace 23HP B&S Vtwin on sawmills with 7.5HP - 10HP electric motor. I was going to do that so I could get mill into the shop out of the sun, rain, snow and it'd be QUIET to run.
Sold the mill due to lack of sales.
What size engine is on the log splitter ? If less than 15HP, I'd use a real 5HP /240 volt 'air compressor' motor. They run at 3400+- RPM, similar to gas engine maxxed out (3600)

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do have a 240 motor I think its 3hp maybe I have to dig it out I think the motor that was on it was maybe a 3hp lawn mower motor, Im not sure of the shaft sizes , but I dont think it would be had to find a coupler might even be the same size as the pump. I think it might be a good winter project, after I get the gas one running,,, IF I can get it running.. lol

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well 40, its a honda and I need a carb and I figure I might as well replace all the gaskets too. Even after taking the old one apart and running it through the ultrasonic cleaner, it looked nice and all the holes seamed to be open, but alas nada.
I got a line on another splitter no motor so rather than a HB one, I was thinking maybe a 240vac motor,, a winter project maybe

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a small electric splitter that I use on my front porch where I stack firewood for the winter. I used to have a splitting block and small maul to split the bigger sticks or if I wanted some smaller kindling, I'd split it all by hand.
But after carpell tunnel surgery(s) I figured easier on the body was better.
So found a electric one on sale for about $175. It works good. I'm actually working on making a stand to raise it up higher so easier on the back.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I'm relatively sure it's possible Skeets.

I think it would be a cool project.

Off the top of my head, all you really need to do is find a motor capable of running the pump, and figure out how to connect them and how to best mount it. (i.e. make adaptor plates ).

Just as an aside, I have a little "toy" electric splitter and have been amazed at it's capability.

I think it was like 300 bucks and I have been thoroughly impressed by it.

I really enjoy the "quiet'ness" of the electric motor.
Hi, how does it compare? Does it do 12" to 16" hardwood. Thanks

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hi, how does it compare? Does it do 12" to 16" hardwood. Thanks
Yes it does them fine. I have done a few that I had a hard time lifting them.

Stuff that is "super knotted" will bog it down, but I can usually reposition it and get it on the second or third try.

Its a WEN 6.5 ton.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4KNQFTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

If it broke tomorrow, I would not hesitate to get another one.

Edit: According to Amazon I bought it in October of 21, and have done about 7 full cords with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That did cross my mind, but it would have to be a closed system, neither of my little beasts have enough flow. So a separate pump would have to be set up for the PTO, I guess using the pump on the one with no motor might work, but alas I am not much of a fabricator and I think I would need a lot more RPMs than the 540

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That did cross my mind, but it would have to be a closed system, neither of my little beasts have enough flow. So a separate pump would have to be set up for the PTO, I guess using the pump on the one with no motor might work, but alas I am not much of a fabricator and I think I would need a lot more RPMs than the 540
Maybe not, if you would get the right PTO driven hydraulic pump. My backhoe is driven by a PTO pump and even running at 1500 engine rpm it is about as fast moving as I want it to be.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Maybe not, if you would get the right PTO driven hydraulic pump. My backhoe is driven by a PTO pump and even running at 1500 engine rpm it is about as fast moving as I want it to be.
An example of a PTO pump, I have no first hand knowledge of this specific brand. I do know PTO pumps are used on several different attachments.
PTO hydraulic pump

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I bought a 16 ton ramsplitter 120/240 VAC.
I think it’s a 1.5 hp motor that I wired for 240. I have been running it steadily for at least 10 years and it has had most of the metal components broken and rewelded better than new. The motor and pump have been faultless and I really appreciate the minimal noise and no smoke or smell. It is vert/ horizontal compatible. I paid about $1k all those years ago, maybe $1600 today