Oil type question

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
This is not a question of what brand of oil to buy

This is a question of confusion :confused:

I have heard that you must use a "Deisel" rated oil, and I have also heard any old engine oil will do.

My question for my orange feathered friends is what type and weight of oil do I need to use for my BX24? I live in a cold climate. Mine is a 4 season tractor

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
So I'm guessing here...
You really want to know if anyone else thinks "any old engine oil will do"
or put another way seems to work 'good enough'
OR if you should buy something that is actually made for the application...
???
Not at all. I want my BX to last forever and live a happy life. I want to treat her right thats all ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not at all. I want my BX to last forever and live a happy life. I want to treat her right thats all ;)
Lots of oil will work in your BX but a diesel rated oil has additives in the oil that will prolong engine life.

My opinion on oil.

You said you have a four season tractor. Unless you are going over 600 hrs per year, how does changing oil once per year sound?
Amsoil 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil and a 98.7% efficient Amsoil/Donaldson Endurance filter. :cool:

Yes, it will cost more per oil change than probably every other oil on the market. No, you don't need synthetic oil to have years of good service. Is Amsoil the best engine oil on the market? I think so. If there is a better lubricant out there I hope someone will bring it to my attention. I have tried about everything on the market and have yet to find any oil that comes close. Easier winter start up, cooler engine temps in the summer and better fuel economy for a added bonus. :D

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
600 hours on an oil change? If you believe that I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona. Companies can claim all they want. Oil gets dirty, I don't care how good the oil or filter are. When It gets contaminated it doesn't lubricate as well, no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
How much Amsoil have you used to say that it doesn't do what they say it will do? If you haven't used any then how can you really tell me that it won't run for 600 hrs. I personally know people that do run it that long and have done it for years. I have one friend that puts over 1000hrs a year on a NH and does it on 2 oil changes a yr. He has a IH tractor with over 15,000 hrs on it and still runs like new. Another friend that runs it in his CH Mack dump truck and put 50 - 60K a year on it on one oil change. It's a 95 model and has well over a million miles on it and has never even had bearings put in it. All factory parts and still runs like new. How about a 409,000 mile oil change on a Mack tractor.

www.amsoil.com/lit/g1343.pdf

I did the research, tested their products and personally have seen what Amsoil can do. How many of their products have you tested for yourself?

What grade of sun block should I bring to the beach and are you going to have chairs or do I need to supply my own? :D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Many folks are as passionate about their oil as they are about their religion. Maybe because they are similarly unprovable? I say "if it works for you, go for it, just don't be upset if I don't believe you"
Ed

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
This is why the first line was this is not about a paticular brand.

I am asking about the TYPE of oil to use ie: diesel or regular oil and now fossil or synthetic (or a blend) types of oil.

As far as when to change the oil it will be changed when my owners manual says of earlyer.

The brand of oil is simular as to why we have Chevy guys and Ford guys. While I belive Chevys are better my neighbor has his Ford that he belives in. We are still friends and give each other crap about each others truck. But thats ok we still got one onothers back.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Kubota have specified a oil with an API rating of CD CE or CF Almost any motor oil you buy today will meet at least that minimum (CD) They recommend a 10w30 oil for all temperature ranges so the most common oil you will find available most likely will meet Kubota's recommendations. If you really like your tractor you may want to use a higher rating oil but this minimum will give satisfactory performance if you also follow Kubota's recommended change intervals. The non-turbocharged Diesel in the BX tractors is not particularly fussy about it's oil. Make sure it has good clean fuel though or it might whimper a little!
Ed

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
eserv
By the time the Amsoil sales pitch is done, I feel like I need a shower. Do they send these guys to Amyway sales school? It maybe a great product, but if I want to hear ALL about it again ............... I'll ask.

RDR

Equipment
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
First, I'll tell you I am sitting here with a big smile on my face. I remember many years ago an Amsoil salesman came to the farm.(probably before you were born) He had a little electric powered wheel he would put oil on and pull an arm down on the wheel until it stalled the wheel. There was a scale measuring how many pounds of pressure it took to stall the wheel. After using the Amsoil he would put a file to the wheel. He said that was the only way to get the Amsoil out of the wheel. I understood he was roughening up the wheel so the other oils wouldn't work as good.

After he tested the Gulf oil used by the farmer I went and got some Valvoline 10w-40 and brought it back in a cut off Gulf bottle. He said it was 20% better than Quaker State and Pennzoil. He had to wear the Valvoline off by pulling down slowly so it wouldn't beat the Amsoil, even after roughening up the wheel. Guess what kind of oil I use and what kind of high dollar oil I don't use.

We have two 3.3 Buick engines that have over 320,000 miles on them, still running fine. Over 250,000 on each one is going mailbox to mailbox. You can't find miles much harder than that.

I'm not going to debate some of the hours on engines without oil changes. Others here know why.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
LOL, I love these types of questions, and the answers they provoke. :)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hello Kubota man, I understand that you didn't ask about a particular brand of oil. That's why my first line said that a diesel rated oil has additives that help to prolong engine life in a diesel engine. Diesel oils are formulated to help capture contaminents and keep them away from critical internal parts. Even though some or maybe even most gas oils will meet Kubota specs a diesel oil will have additives that are designed just for the higher demands of a hard working diesel engine no matter the size. I'm looking at a 1991 Kubota maintenance chart for M7580-M8580-M9580 which lists using engine oil with a API rating of CC or CD. Now looking in my 2004 manual for my M 9000 it says use engine oil with a API rating of CD, CE or CF. In the special notes section it says this. When using low sulfer fuel or high sulfer fuel Kubota recommends API CF, TBN>10. A API oil with a CD rating is no longer listed on the chart. This leads me to believe that engine oil requirements have changed from 91 to 04.

Side note, "Kubota recommends Super UDT for optimum protection and performance".

You answered, "not at all" to the question of "any old oil will do". You want your BX to last forever and have a happy life. You also stated that you live in a cold climate and you have a four season tractor. I hope your BX will last you a life time and I want the same thing for my tractors. The question was then thrown out to your orange feathered friends of what type and weight oil do you need. Just like the Ford and Chevy debate I have your back. I'm in no way trying to sell you on any brand of oil. I'm simply passing along information that I have gathered from years of trouble free service.

Type: Heavy Duty diesel - weight: 5w30 API CI-4+, CF TBN 12.1 pour point: -58F

All I'm doing is trying to give you some facts on a product that has proven to me that it works and does what it's designed to do. I do believe in Amsoil because I have been using it for over 15 years. I don't know anything about amyway school. I would like to understand how a person that has never used Amsoil can have a real opinion about how it work. Maybe when everybody gets out of the shower and off the beach they can take the time to show me one post where I have tried to make a sale. Don't believe me, fine. Think I'm completely full of it, fine. It would be nice to get some comments that are based on facts instead of personal preference. I don't know you guys any better than you know me but we all love our Kubotas. I have nothing to gain by telling a lie and would never pass along false information. OTT is all about helping each other not hurting. I share my own experience with a product that I have to purchase for my use. It makes no difference to me if you choose to use Amsoil or not. I have nothing to gain either way.

Go to the Shell Rotella home page and find their QA section and then read what Shell has to say about the benifits from using synthetic oil. This info is not from Amsoil or myself.

RDR, have you ever used Amsoil?
If not then your negative opinion of Amsoil products is based on what?

I think a hot round of double doubles and a box of apples fritters from Timmies are just awfull. Burger King is much better. I guess BK is okay. My brutal assalt on Timmies has no real facts. I never even heard of Timmies before the bet between SDV and Mr K. I don't know how a double double taste or what a box of apple fritters even looks like. My (EXAMPLE ONLY) opinion of Timmies is based on nothing. Never tried it so how can I even give any type of opinion on there food? A man born blind has no way of knowing the difference between daylight and dark.

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
A man born blind can feel the warmth of the sun on his face. BTW If you never had Timmies, maybe you just shouldn't express your opinion about it or mention the fact, that you just hate doughnuts.

Why would I use uncertified oil? Just because you said it is great stuff and sell it? Save money on extended oil change intervals? I'll change the oil at proper intervals and not be out any vast amount of money. My 5.7 Chevy pickup has 291,000 on it and it doesn't burn oil and has never been apart. Same with the Town & Country (215,000). It's a BX not an over the road truck traveling millions of miles in its lifetime.

RDR

Equipment
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
If saying it is a high dollar oil is a negative comment so be it. Read again what I said about the Amsoil salesman's demonstration. I have used my brand of oil for over 35 years with no oil related problems. We drive vehicles for 10 to 15 years and more. I use what works for me and doesn't hurt my wallet.

My tractors get worked hard. Many times they are abused and keep giving no problems. I don't just putter around the yard on weekends. I have many different brands of tractors. I buy them cheap, sometimes needing a little work and then use them for many years. I have a 154 British Leyland that I have abused for 17 years and it keeps going.

I'm sorry the original question of this thread got hijacked. I don't like when someone preaches there is only one thing to use. I know people that use many different brands, weights, and ratings of oil with no problem. Most of them have no problems, but don't have the extreme use much of my equipment gets. To each his own. Just don't preach to me. It doesn't work.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A man born blind can feel the warmth of the sun on his face. BTW If you never had Timmies, maybe you just shouldn't express your opinion about it or mention the fact, that you just hate doughnuts.

Why would I use uncertified oil? Just because you said it is great stuff and sell it? Save money on extended oil change intervals? I'll change the oil at proper intervals and not be out any vast amount of money. My 5.7 Chevy pickup has 291,000 on it and it doesn't burn oil and has never been apart. Same with the Town & Country (215,000). It's a BX not an over the road truck traveling millions of miles in its lifetime.
Read the post yooper jim. I put "EXAMPLE ONLY" about Timmies. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I don't want you to take my word about Amsoil. I'm giving a example of what a certain product has done for me and it up to you to proccess that information and apply it. I tested Amsoil against the oil I had grew up using and only after seeing that it preformed better and saved me money did I switch. Your mind is already made up and that sad thing is you don't even have all the facts to back up what you believe in. That reminds me of my son during supper time. "I don't like that stuff". Have you ever tried it before? No he answers. How can you say that you don't like it if you never tried it. I don't no he say. Beef of all things. Live on a farm, raise cattle and has no idea what a pleasure it is to tear into a nice big steak or a fat juicy hamburger. He makes his mind up and has nothing to base his decision on. Never tried it but refuses to even try it. Wow, this sounds so familiar for some reason.

RDR, I think the saleman did you a injustice and it's BS that you even had to see it happen. It sux when a person tries to bully you in to buying their product. But, I'm not trying to sell you anything. You are correct to say that there are many different brands on the market and will give years of trouble free service. I'll be the first to tell you that I didn't grow up using Amsoil. I was open minded enough to at least try it to see if it would deliver on what it was claimed to do though. I couldn't even start to tell you how many thousands of mile I have driven in vehicles without a drop of synthetic oil in them and did just fine. It done every day all over the world. Some people will never switch no matter what facts are presented to them. Old school way is the only way for them and that's final. I depend on my stuff to last me for many years just like you do. Right now my newest truck is 14 years old and the reason I have a 04 tractor is I lost my 67 model in a divorce. My 2000 model is the very first new tractor I ever bought so I fully understand the need for a piece of equipment to last. I grew up using MD's and Super C's and old stuff like that. It doesn't surprise me at all that you have got 35 yrs of good service from your brand of oil. Been there and done that myself. I was completely satisfied with what I was using but after seeing for myself the difference Amsoil made and how much money it saved me over all I did switch. I save enough just in fuel cost alone in one truck to be able to used it in the rest of my equipment for free. In my opinion you are only cheating yourself by not even being willing to look in a different direction but the bottom line that's your choice. I hope you continue to have good service with your brand and get another 35 yrs with it.

By the way, I would love to see a pic of your Leyland. Those are few and far between any more.

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
Thank God this was about Amsoil and not religion or politics. I can't even imagine of the length of your reply then. I never tried Amsoil nor would I know the difference! Much less care.
The End

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Religion and politics are simple.

Believe in God or you don't.

Obama sucks. What's left to say.

I value my equipment. It cost way to much to repair or replace to just say, I don't care. I used lots of oil and compaired real facts before deciding which brand I would use. I wanted to know and understand the difference. A don't care attitude doesn't earn any respect from me.

In the future I will keep things short for you. I will simply assume you make all your decisions based on no facts at all so your opinions worthless.

Short enough yooper?

RDR

Equipment
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
By the way, I would love to see a pic of your Leyland. Those are few and far between any more.

I'll send you a link to one of my 154 Leylands. I have 3 of them. A friend has one here also. Of course, his is the pretty one.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Oh my word....................... Obi Wan Kenobi. I did not know asking a question would bring talk of "Timmies" (still not sure what they are or that is), Religon, Politics and about what I asked this thread not be about. I did not know such a question would make guys who probibaly who have never met come to fist-a-cuffs.

I apologize for causing such discord in the force Obi Wan. :(