Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
The oil sending unit is leaking on my L175. At idle it drips about once a second, at PTO speed it looks like a coffee maker, leaking about a quart of oil an hour.

Should I get another stock unit and continue using the idiot light, or put a mechanical guage on it? Either way I have to do something soon, oil isn't as cheap as it was a few years ago.

Robert

Last edited:

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I would probably replace it with a new sender. If you want a gauge, shop around for one that fits and looks stock. You should be able to get a low pressure switch from any large auto parts store with the correct threads.

E/S

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I'd hook up both. That way you can keep an eye on the gauge most of the time, but you will also have the idiot light to get your attention in case you're not watching the gauge and something goes wrong...

If you're only going to hook up one, then I'd opt for the idiot light.

Just my $.02,

Steve

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I'd hook up both. That way you can keep an eye on the gauge most of the time, but you will also have the idiot light to get your attention in case you're not watching the gauge and something goes wrong...

Steve
Exactly what I'm doing. Though I'm using an adapter to go from the original 1/8-BSPT to 1/8-NPT before I go into my tee fitting. I'm keeping the idiot light more because having something nonfunctional on the dash, even an idiot light, would bug me.

Last edited:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Also forgot to note, that there is NO way I'd run the tractor until its fixed.

You'd be VERY bummed if you accidentally ran the thing out of oil while working and the $10 sending unit ended up costing you $1000 in engine rebuilding.

Steve

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I had the same symptoms and got a new sender and had it back to work in under 5 minutes and has not leaked since. The light is sufficient for me, but add a gauge if you feel you need to.

Ron

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Yep, need both. anything to help see an oil pressure problem. both are so cheap compared to a rebuilt.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Thanks for the advice, guys. I hadn't even thought of running both, even though I usually tee in a mechanical guage on my pickups.

Stumpy, thanks for reminding me that Kubots didn't use standard American pipe threads. I should know that, I was stationed in Sasebo for two years.

Apogee, You make a very good point about losing all the oil; this leak has increased dramatically since I mowed the yard acouple of times this year. I really don't want to have to repair this tractor to the extent that Stumpy is doing on his.

Off to the parts store tomorrow...

Robert

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I really don't want to have to repair this tractor to the extent that Stumpy is doing on his.
Ya think!?!??! What I'm doing is best reserved for madmen! :)

By the way I mocked it up before applying the thread sealant and discovered using my train of fittings (BSPT adapter is an Autometer male\female) I couldn't turn the tee fitting with the starter in place and with the tee in place is was nearly impossible to tighten the upper nut on the stater. I'm probably going to put in a 90 degree elbow.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Well since the grass is growing constantly and refuses to pause for shipping, I went with the stock sending unit. I only had to drive 140 miles (round trip) to get it. I couldn't find any BSPT fittings locally.

I sure wish I would have bought one of these last year, I remember looking at them for $11.85, price more than doubled it ws $24.00 plus tax.

Still better than ruining the engine, and I had a couple of other places to go to on this trip anyway.

Robert