Oil Light on an L1501DT (L185)

dafe

Equipment
BX2200 L1501DT
May 9, 2018
Near Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone,

The oil light on my L1501DT comes on after running for about 10-15 minutes, and I'm not really sure what to do. The tractor runs or seems to run fine, but the lamp just stays on after this time.

Are there any pointers or tips for troubleshooting this? I changed the oil yesterday but didn't change the filter (wasn't thinking that far ahead, new to this whole thing...), no change with new oil although it sounds different ie a little smoother/happier.

There's a thread around here about opening up the engine and replacing a plug on the end of a cam shaft (and also a cool video on the tube), but my understanding of the symptoms of this is that the light goes off when revving.

Any tips or advice most appreciated! This forum has been a great help!

Oh, and what do you all do with your sump oil? Chuck it or some interesting uses? I remember sheds and kennels painted with the stuff when I was a kid.

Cheers,

Dave

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
First I verify the oil pressure with a gauge. The camshaft plug is usually an all or nothing issue. If it's in, then good oil pressure, out you have no oil pressure.

Issue could be a worn out oil sending unit. The oil sending unit is on the clutch side of the tractor (left) and screws into the block near the starter. Has 1 wire attached to it. Thread is BSTP. But you should be able to get adapters to screw in a 0-100 psi gauge into that spot from a good hardware store to get an actual reading. I believe the stock sending unit trips at 20 psi, but don't hold me to it.

Getting a good reading will tell you where to start looking. As the oil heats up, your oil pressure will drop.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can start out with a replacement sending unit from Kubota to see if light stays out.

But adapting a gauge will give you the actual pressure so you know but be sure not to mess up the threads in the engine block, as mentioned they are NOT standard US pipe threads.

And I recycle my used oil since it is usually convenient to do so

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First I verify the oil pressure with a gauge. The camshaft plug is usually an all or nothing issue. If it's in, then good oil pressure, out you have no oil pressure.

Issue could be a worn out oil sending unit. The oil sending unit is on the clutch side of the tractor (left) and screws into the block near the starter. Has 1 wire attached to it. Thread is BSTP. But you should be able to get adapters to screw in a 0-100 psi gauge into that spot from a good hardware store to get an actual reading. I believe the stock sending unit trips at 20 psi, but don't hold me to it.

Getting a good reading will tell you where to start looking. As the oil heats up, your oil pressure will drop.

Daren is correct - the oil plug in the cam shaft is a fatal flaw - however, usually oil pressure will hold when cold, then as it warms up the viscosity goes up- psi goes down tripping the sensor.
SO that is a place to check for sure, and if I am not mistaken the oil sending unit kicks out at about 7 psi. I have an engine that after it is worked extremely hard, has 14 psi at idle..... and 50 psi cold! (5w-40)

check that plug!;)

dafe

Equipment
BX2200 L1501DT
May 9, 2018
Thanks everyone! I will get a gauge and see if I can get some readings. Once I get one, is it permanently attached to the sending unit?

I will have to be careful with the threads...

Yeah and I guess I can recycle the old oil :)

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
The current sending unit is just an on/off switch, pressure rises, the switch opens, light goes out.

You want to temporarily replace it with one that can tell pressure.
Two kinds, the mechanical one use plastic or copper tubing,
The digital uses wires to the gauge.

Adapter 1-27 BSPT to 1-28 NPT
GlowShift 1/8 NPT Female to 1/8 BSPT Male Gauge Sensor Sender Thread Adapter Reducer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWZ3TUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_SAhpBbSCJ8NZS

Long term, if you put a ***8220;T***8221; in, you can have both the old on/off switch, and the new gauge...
The 1-27 BSPT oil pressure fitting size is also found on Subaru***8217;s,
LNA Auto Parts has a 10 centimeter hose with the ***8220;T***8221; on the end...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since you're in OZ just get an oil pressure gauge that has BTPT fitting on it. ;)

dafe

Equipment
BX2200 L1501DT
May 9, 2018
I think I found a gauge in the shed. Does this look right? There's no difference between an oil and a water gauge for example?

Had another read through of the operators manual, and it said not to worry if the oil light goes on under very low operating RPMs. Could be that I haven't been actually using it properly. I have just been experimenting with it, driving it up and down etc, so maybe that could be it :)

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I think I found a gauge in the shed. Does this look right?
That will do the trick
dafe said:
Could be that I haven't been actually using it properly. I have just been experimenting with it, driving it up and down etc, so maybe that could be it :)
I doubt it, but wait for the pressure readings.........

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you have a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer or tees etc., you can remove the oil pressure switch and place it in directly to get some readings, you don't need to permanently install.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I haven't checked, you will be able to on your machine. I'm just going off an early post with some thread sizes mentioned. I'd guess like previously mentioned you have dropped your cam plug. There is mention on this forum of someone replacing it by drilling a hole in the gear case and inserting a new one and putting a rubber plug in the hole. I don't remember what model it was done on. It saved them pulling the gear case etc.

dafe

Equipment
BX2200 L1501DT
May 9, 2018
Thanks 100td. I was in town so posted in a hurry. Could I also check the oil pressure using the oil filter port? I will have a look tomorrow, nighttime here and the shed has no power.