Oil filter questions...

littlecmonkey

Jul 21, 2013
By the Great Lakes
Newbie here, and first tractor, a L3540.

I'm approaching my 50 hour service, and note in the service manual the amount and type of oil for the service is given, as well as basic procedure.

However, the manual doesn't supply the part number for engine and transmission oil filters, and upon looking at the tractor itself, they are painted a dull gray and no numbers that were discernable to me, but I didn't look too hard, it was darned cold out!

As with most everything else, I prefer to shop online, but want to be sure I'm getting the right parts. Is there anywhere to find the correct filter numbers? You'd sure think they'd be supplied in the manual, as with a car. Also, for those who do buy online, do you have any favorite sites for purchasing maintenance equipment?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I usually get all my fluids and filters from NAPA. If you have the OEM Kubota part number they should be able to cross it over and get you what you need. A little bit cheaper, much faster and right down the road.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
What you can do to cheat and save you some time is go to www.kubota.com and pull up the illustrated parts list and find the info for your tractor. Then go to Fram's website and enter the Kubota part number and it'll cross it over to the Fram filter. Then go to your favorite auto parts store and pull it up or cross again to any cheaper filter.

http://www.framcatalog.com/Competitor.aspx?b=F&pn=HH164-32430&em=True

littlecmonkey

Jul 21, 2013
By the Great Lakes
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a 2012 HST 3540, and will attempt to look up the filters. If any of you know them, don't hesitate. Should I change my hydraulic oil at 50 hours? I've heard and read just change the filters and top it off.

littlecmonkey

Jul 21, 2013
By the Great Lakes
Now that's exactly what I mean. Why in God's green earth couldn't Kubota have had that simple line drawing along with the parts schedule right in the service manual? I find it ridiculous that I had to hunt the things down.

Ah well, suppose it was a one time event, but should have been provided to every new owner.

These were the part numbers I came up with:

Engine Oil Filter= HH164 32430

Transmission Filters= HHTAO 37710 and HHAO 59900

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Now that's exactly what I mean. Why in God's green earth couldn't Kubota have had that simple line drawing along with the parts schedule right in the service manual? I find it ridiculous that I had to hunt the things down.

Ah well, suppose it was a one time event, but should have been provided to every new owner.

These were the part numbers I came up with:

Engine Oil Filter= HH164 32430

Transmission Filters= HHTAO 37710 and HHAO 59900
Kubota is in business to make money. They would prefer that you get the filter from a dealership.
Diesels are demanding- wherever you get it, don't buy cheap filters. Your tractor is worth it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Diesels are demanding- wherever you get it, don't buy cheap filters. Your tractor is worth it.
Well said Hodge, agree 100%.

Spend hard earned dollars buying a tractor only to cut your own throat buying cheap oil and filters. Using quality products now will save you thousands in the end.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In the short time I've owned a Kubota and been on here, I've learned this one thing, GET KUBOTA FILTERS! :D
Heck I've learned that it is better, safer and cheaper (in the long run) to get all Kubota parts!
Their are many a "similar" filter out there, but none are exact or built to the exacting standards as Kubota filters.
The $20 you save on the filter could cost you thousands down the line!
There is post after post of people having problems with their tractors only to find out it's an off brand filter causing the problem!;)

Yes you can change the HST and hydraulic filter without having to change the fluid too, just top it off after changing.

littlecmonkey

Jul 21, 2013
By the Great Lakes
I have no problem buying the Kubota filters, and agree that they are of the quality I want for my new tractor.

However, gas being what it is, and sales tax, why not have the things simply appear at my door?

Looking at the filters at a couple of places online, I note there isn't much variance in price in original products. Now I just have to find the one that may offer free shipping if the amount is high enough.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have no problem buying the Kubota filters, and agree that they are of the quality I want for my new tractor.

However, gas being what it is, and sales tax, why not have the things simply appear at my door?

Looking at the filters at a couple of places online, I note there isn't much variance in price in original products. Now I just have to find the one that may offer free shipping if the amount is high enough.

I order parts that cannot be bought locally, in fact I have delivery from Summit to arrive on Monday.

There is a value that you are not applying to buying product locally, it's called building a relationship with suppliers and it is PRICELESS!

There will come a time when you need someone to go out of their way to source a part, there are several here that do so for me.
Also when I needed my Kubota hubs machined for my new wheels..........NAPA did not charge me......the machine operator got a $20 tip.

The $20 you save today will cost you 3 times that tomorrow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Kubota is in the tractor business NOT oil filter making business. They source filters from someone else like Fram or Wix and have them slap a Kubota lable on them and charge your twice as much.

You can still find quality filters from an auto parts store and save some money. I work too damn hard to piss away extra money on somethng I can get to do the same thing at a better savings. Running a business you have to find ways to cut costs to save on over head.

I learned lastnight tinkering around on this posting and taking a sneeky peack over at TBN there are maybe 2 or 3 different thread sizes for a filter. Find the one you need and stick the largest diameter filter you can on there.

I've been putting NAPA oil filters on gas and diesel engins for years and havent had me fail one yet. Both on my personal toys and one I ran for someone else.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Kubota is in the tractor business NOT oil filter making business. They source filters from someone else like Fram or Wix and have them slap a Kubota lable on them and charge your twice as much.

You can still find quality filters from an auto parts store and save some money. I work too damn hard to piss away extra money on somethng I can get to do the same thing at a better savings. Running a business you have to find ways to cut costs to save on over head.

I learned lastnight tinkering around on this posting and taking a sneeky peack over at TBN there are maybe 2 or 3 different thread sizes for a filter. Find the one you need and stick the largest diameter filter you can on there.

I've been putting NAPA oil filters on gas and diesel engins for years and havent had me fail one yet. Both on my personal toys and one I ran for someone else.
I seriously doubt that Kubota sources their filters from Fram. I agree that they probably don't make them themselves, but they are from a higher quality manufacturer. At that point, the price that Kubota sells them for is comparable to other high end filters.
I buy Hastings, which makes a nice filter and makes them for Amsoil. A Hastings is about the same price as a filter from Beverage Tractor, my Kubota dealer.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan

I'll agree with this up to a point. Now I don't know if Kubota filters do or not, but some filters have one way valves in them to prevent leak down and provide oil to the appropriate places much quicker on start up. If your engine doesn't require this valve, it's no big deal, but if it does, and you screw on any old filter that fits, and the valve isn't in there, the engine life will be dramatically shortened.

As I said, I do NOT know if Kubota's require this or not. I'm just saying as most of us have other engines in our garage, and how we treat one engine is usually how we treat them all.

bamabota

Equipment
L3200DT, LA524FL loader, 5' Land Pride bush hog
Jul 6, 2013
Oxford, AL
I appreciate my dealer. He went above and beyond for me. I will purchase all of my maintenance products from him. I want him to be there, if he is needed for the warranty of my tractor. I have worked for other manufacturer's of similar products and I have seen warranties be voided for not using the recommended parts and products. I remember an old commercial on television, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later!" GOOD LUCK!!!

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I plan on buying my filters and such from my local dealer. If he doesn't have enough business, he will go away, then who do you have? Someone 3 states away? You can only do so much over the phone. What if it's a big, bulky, heavy item you need? Shipped free to your local dealer on the next shipment, or $200 of shipping costs from that guy 3 states away? I know which I prefer.

A parts man who recognizes you when you walk in is the best source for anything you'll ever find. A little stuck on how to do something? Free advice from the local technician can be invaluable. Much better than trying to explain something over the phone.

I love the "Pay me now, or pay me later." A slogan from an aftermarket manufacturer! LOL But I'm going to use that theory keep my local dealer local, not a 3 hour drive away.